1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius C (Long trips on interstate)

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by [email protected], Apr 9, 2012.

1. charliefsmith@comcast.net

[email protected] New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Considering the Prius C since wife & I are in our early to mid 70s, and most of our driving in the future will be citified. However, we do visit Baltimore and D.C. occasionally, and do every other year trips from Maryland to either Louisiana (1200 mi. in 2 1/2 days) and Maine (750 mi. in 1 1/2). Not worried about comfort as much as the distance and durability for interstate travel when most other drivers are pushing, even exceeding 70+ mph. To maximize gas mileage, I would try to somewhat stay under that speed.

2. SquallLHeart

SquallLHeart The Techie Guy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I actually bought my vehicle for highway driving as well since I drive about 25-35K miles per year. It's certainly comfortable for long drives, and I'm probably going to do a round-trip cross country from San Jose, CA to Annapolis, MD towards the end of this summer in it.

I usually cruise at the speed limit or follow the flow of the semi-trucks when I'm trekking along long distances. There's no need to rush.. and I'm all about fuel efficiency. :p

2 people like this.
  3. fgp

fgp Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    those are the trips im wondering about. i just took a little 160 mile trip half winding roads and half interstate. 57mpg which i thought was pretty good. like ive stated before, my personal challenge will be next month when i go to daytona from my home in nashville. should be about 1100 miles round trip. maybe a hundred tooling around daytona. im hoping to beat the 47 miles by gvt testing. im guessing ill get around 54 or so.

1 person likes this.
  4. Oldwolf

Oldwolf Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    This is an interesting thread because I want to drive a C from Raleigh, NC to Seattle and back one of these days.

1 person likes this.
  5. russelljackson

russelljackson Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    My daughter and I have an 1100 mile round trip coming up in early June, and we're taking the c. I'll definitely report back, but I'm expecting it to be fine, except my daughter will say I drive too slow. :)

1 person likes this.
  6. managerman

managerman Prius v Nerd

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I did a 240 mile interstate trip last weekend and I got 56 MPG! Only went the speed limit (65) and had about 15 miles of 35-55 driving...tried out some safe drafting techniques and they did help...

-M

7. TytaniumK

TytaniumK New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    You are too funny, fred from nashville.....:D

All you folks trying to squeeze a few extra miles out of an already wayyy awesome ride. Only 47 mpg indeed~LOL. Fred, I would kiss the engine every time I got 47 mpg out of anything! I certainly wouldn't feel bad ONLY getting 47 vs 54 on a long trip! Again, you guys are freakin' hilarious! I'll be coming from an 18-mpg Dodge RAM 5.7L Hemi into Prius C territory! Bring on the "ONLY 47 mpg"--I can take it!:rockon:

8. fgp

fgp Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    now if i could only get that hemi under the hood!:D

9. kkim

kkim Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    lol, wait till you get yours. it's addictive trying to get the most MPG out of this car... you won't be satisfied with 47. :bounce:

10. fgp

fgp Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    well said kk. it is true that is addictive:)

11. elemntofone

elemntofone Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    That is my life now after coming from a large truck. Going to flordia in a few weeks i'll report back mpg.

1 person likes this.
  12. SFOcman

SFOcman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Got 52 mpg avg for trip from sf to placerville ca. Avg cruise control set at 70 mph and several hill climbs. Not bad

FYI, at 2800 miles total I am at 49 mpg since purchase. I drive normal and not interested in being that slow person blocking traffic. Going with the flow is fine with me

13. donny612

donny612 "Captain Jack Sparrow"

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I'm with you there my friend. I came out of a Nissan Titan 5.6 LE with 15mpg about 50/50 city/hwy, on a good day. I'll take "only" 47 mpg as well, but it is interesting to really see what affects mileage and how we can now manipulate it.