1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius C Moves forward when shifting in reverse...

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by Shawncc, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Rob.au

Rob.au Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    i-Tech
    I tried it tonight - I found it difficult, but possible to replicate this scenario with the SKS.

Firstly I found that the shift position is locked to Park in either OFF or ACC modes, the brake pedal will not release the interlock in these modes. With foot off the brake, pressing the power button twice will get to ON mode. Then the shift can be moved out of Park, but only with foot on the brake. This whole sequence is quite akwardly different from a normal start with SKS.

Then when releasing the brake (and with the park brake off) it is then possible for the vehicle to move, however if it is going to move, it will move immeadiately upon releasing your foot from the brake. Using the accelerator pedal will do nothing to alter what the vehicle is already doing by that stage. The movement is hardly sudden, but the more severe the slope and the quicker the movement (such as it is), the more you will feel it the moment you release the brake and release something is wrong before even thinking about the accelerator.

This appears to explain the experience you had.

It however, still leaves the original post as rubbish. Keep in mind that the original title of this thread was "Sudden Acceleration Problem" and the original post described the problem as "As soon as I pressed the gas pedal my car started moving forward and hit the curb right in front of the car. I couldn't believe my eyes so I put the gear back to Parking and back to reverse, and as soon as i touched gas, it again accelerated forward." This just does not describe what we've just experimented with.

The other poster doesn't even have a c, so their whole gear selector is completely different.

2. winnertakesteve

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    It might be an unlikely scenario, but I managed to do it as an honest mistake, which means others could as well, stupid as it might make us ;)

And all I can say with regards to the blaming it on acceleration is that in the right circumstance, it does "feel" like the car is accelerating forwards under power. The grade was slight enough that I didn't get the sensation of gravity. Anyway, we can agree that the OP was probably perhaps bring over dramatic in his description, but I still think it was grounded in a true (but totally explainable) event.

3. Adam Leibovitch

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    A few weeks ago I know my mind told my body to put the car in reverse, but muscle memory or something put it into drive. I turned around to look over my shoulder and slowly let up the brake to wait for the car to move. It moved forward so I knew the user had to have made a mistake. I don't think it was the first time its happened to me, thats why I always pull out super slow. Plus I just removed back-up beep so I had no indication to confirm or deny what gear I was in. I wonder if OP disabled back up beep as well, and made the mistake I did.

4. Rob.au

Rob.au Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    i-Tech
    The Prius c has no backup beep and also has a completely different - and more traditional - shift selector on the floor that goes from P to R to N to D (and on to B).

These things happen in forums all the time and unfortunately they're often not genuine. It's now been a month - they've posted, it was pretty implausible, some of us are happy to write it off as user error and some of us are happy to write it off as deliberate FUD, but either way unless the original poster comes back and wants to add something to the story I think we've pretty much explored every possible angle on this.