1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius C Oil Filter

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by tonyk81, Mar 12, 2012.

1. tonyk81

tonyk81 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I am just curious if someone has the Toyota part number for the Pruis C oil filter.

Not seeing this model on any Toyota parts site, or on third party sites yet.

2. dustoff003

dustoff003 Blizzard Brigade #003

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Why not inquire at your local dealerships parts counter?

Posted from my iPhone via the Tapatalk app.

3. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    It should be written on it, it is an external filter yes? Probably a -YZZF2

4. tonyk81

tonyk81 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I did ask the local dealership. They said they were unsure. I asked how they would change the oil under the complimentary plan. "I guess we'll have to figure it out then." Doesn't instill much confidence in a person.

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Brand new model, there won't be demand for this info for a few months. It might just be identical to regular Prius, ie: just a paper cartridge in a reused housing.

6. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    That's not a good answer is it, he should have said "I'm sorry I don't know but I'll find out and let you know". I would make sure they know what kind of filter to use and that they have one before you take it in for your first oil change. Otherwise they might not have one and it won't get changed. Also make sure they know what oil to use, almost certainly 0W20, your owner's manual will confirm that.

7. tonyk81

tonyk81 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Asked again today, service advisor says "it's not your business to know since we'll be changing it anyway. I'm sure we got the right one lying around here somewhere." When questioning them to ensure they use the right type of oil and what kind he said "well we're certainly not using Toyota Genuine for these freebie changes. We'll use whatever we have surplus of that will work on your car."

I emailed a complaint to the Owner Stephen Wade and he just said "everything the service advisor told you was correct, and you'll need to discuss any further issues with them."

Looks like a dealership I'm going to avoid. Although they are the only Toyota dealership within 130 miles or so. I guess I'll either get my free oil changes at one in Vegas when I'm there occasionally or just do it myself.

SILVERCwSUN and alimoeeny like this.
  8. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    There are certainly a lot better dealers than that around. You might consider letting Toyota customer service know, they probably won't do anything but if enough people complain, maybe they will.

9. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    WOW, just WOW!

10. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Come on! Just open the hood or get underneath and LOOK at the filter. It should have a number on it. 4 cylinder Toyotas with external filters take a 90915-YZZF2. Who do you expect to know your car better, you or the jerks at the dealer? By the way, find another dealer.

11. vinnie97

vinnie97 Whatever Works

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Only problem is one has to go over 100 miles to find the other nearest dealers (Vegas).

This is the same dealership who wouldn't implement either of the engine knock (on cold soak)/engine vibration on startup TSBs for my Gen III (now traded in).

Looks like we have a real winner, Tony. ;) Ugh.

12. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I would forget about the "free oil changes" buy some filters and drain plug washers on line and change it myself. You can get Mobil 1 0W20 (some other brands as well) at Wal Mart or an auto parts store, or order the oil on line also.

13. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    More likely than not, it will be the same oil filter as the GenII Prius, since it uses the same 1.5 liter engine as that Prius.

14. vinnie97

vinnie97 Whatever Works

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Tumbleweed, I would but I have bilateral elbow tendinitis, so I'd rather not exacerbate it. Next bet is to find a local trustworthy mechanic...

15. ksstathead

ksstathead Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Order a package of filters online, take it to walmart, specify the M1 0W20, hand them the filter. Forget this dealer forever.

16. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    With the US schedule spec'ing one filter change per year, for DIY at least I'd just pick up a single filter from the dealership (if they ever figure out what it is...). D.O. for the oil: more-or-less the cheapest 0W20 going is Toyota's. Why commit to a decade's worth of oil changes on a car you might trade in, total, etc.?

Vinnie, I had tendinitis problems, and what worked for me was taking on more and varied activity.

17. vinnie97

vinnie97 Whatever Works

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    well, the work I do exacerbates it already, so variation could be part of the solution. Obviously, stretching and exercise is important, but I've had this ongoing 7 years now. About to visit a chiro (once bills are pared down) and have some active release therapy implemented (I've tried many other modalities, including sling, magnet therapy, acupuncture, ultrasound, physical therapy and laser therapy, though the course of treatment on a few of these was less than I would have liked). I can only conclude that brittle scar tissue has built up at this juncture that is causing the continued difficulties.

18. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I agree, if you are unable to do it yourself finding a good independent mechanic that knows a little about the Prius would be a good way to go.

19. tonyk81

tonyk81 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I don't have my C yet. That's why I can't jump underneath and look. I was just asking when I was there looking at the cars. For my own info after the complimentary changes since I usually do my own basic work.

20. tonyk81

tonyk81 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Vinnie, did you buy your C at Stephen Wade or another dealer?