1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius C on hills?

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by wlw2009, Jun 21, 2012.

1. wlw2009

wlw2009 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Hi all,

I live in Western Washington where there are very mountainous roads and highways. For me, I have to drive 15 miles on the highway and ~5 in terrible Seattle traffic...often that traffic stops my car on the middle of steep hills INSIDE the city...there are also pretty steep hills where I live on the HWY.

My question is:

Can prius c's hold their own on the HWY hills/city hills? By this I mean, will my car lose mph going over the hills even if I give it a lot of juice? will my car roll backwards rapidly in the city if I stop on a hill?

I want to be able to do ~70-75 without my car going all the way down to 60 over each hill. Is this possible with the power on this car?

Thanks all!

2. bgil

bgil Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I live in western wa and the c does fine. I live on Camano island and often drive to puyallup using i5 and 405. I always try to drive about 4 miles over the speed limit...75 in some places. The c is no hot rod but you can easily keep up with traffic. Just have to pay attention on on ramps...no jack rabbit starts. The hybrid electic motor provides good torque at very low speeds.
    I also think the car comes with a "hill hold" feature that would help in traffic.

3. akh02

akh02 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I live on a steep hill in a very hilly area and the c does just fine from stops mid-hill (like you have in downtown Seattle). Freeway hills at 70+ are no problem but I find I'd rather lag in the right lane and get better mileage. Think of the c's lack of oomph as an encouragement to drive efficiently rather than an inability to drive fast.

4. Ashley7

Ashley7 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Maybe I'm being too gentle on the accelerator in trying to preserve gas, but I go over a small-ish hill (actually an overpass) every day, with a stop light on either side (which kills me). I do find it feels bogged down when climbing the hill from a dead stop. But it can certainly do hills, especially if you have momentum. I took it on HWY 99 in Oregon recently, and it did fine. I used cruise much of the time, and it stayed at speed up the inclines, at the sacrifice of mileage (though I still got over 50mpg for the trip).

The c has "hill start assist," which prevents it from rolling backwards on a hill. It's activated by pressing down hard on the brake.

Your best bet, if possible, would be to test drive one in the exact place your worried about.

New2Here likes this.
  5. Prius Sea

Prius Sea Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I have found that I lose about 15 mph going up an over 4,000 ft incline starting with highway speed of a bit over 70 mph. Part of it may be that for the first 2,000 miles it is not recommended to floor the pedal, the other part would be a preference to get a running start and not push the engine.

6. Absolutly Red Hot

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    The Prius C is no hill climber. I drive up and down hills in my commute. I have to redline it to maintain Highway speed. My mph drops to low 40's. I get passed all the time on the FRWY. Just being Honest. City I can get 99.9 in no traffic.

7. Erikon

Erikon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Let's watch our use of mpg and mph, it can be confusing to readers when posters mix up the two!

8. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Years ago, I once mixed them up in a posting so I now capitalize MPG and lower-case mph. Given the relative importance of the two, the case makes sense.

Bob Wilson

9. cmergel

cmergel PC3 Magnetic Gray Metallic w/moonroof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I live in the Pacific Northwest as well and there are lots of hills. Hills are a MPG killer. I just recently took a quick trip which was all down hill apprx 5 miles and got 99.9 MPG, the return trip all up hill and got 52 MPG. So to me it all averages out. You just have to drive steady.

I am still working on my first tank of gas about 350 miles in and averaging 52 MPG. Still at about 1/4-1/3 of a tank left. I couldn't be happier with my PC3.

10. vernon birdman

vernon birdman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four

11. vernon birdman

vernon birdman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I live in the Okanagan Valley of British Columbia and drive in the mountains all of the time. My C handles the mountains without a problem

fuzzy1 likes this.