1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius C One 2013 not getting Fuel - C1259, P3190, P0A0F

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Mudassir, May 10, 2023.

1. Mudassir

Mudassir New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    My 2013 Prius (120K Miles) died 2 months ago when I was leaving work. I started the car, hit reverse to pull out parking, and as soon I hit brake to drive forward (Engine had just kicked on), the car did a weird rattle and then I was able to drive out to the street for about half a mile then the car gave 'Check Hybrid System- Pull to a side safely" error.

I had it towed to a nearby Toyota which diagnosed a bad Fuel Pump (Based on codes they provided: C1259, P3190, P0A0F). They also said since my fuel was really low it burnt the fuel pump out.

I had the car towed to a different mechanic as Toyota was charging me 1400 to replace the fuel pump. The mechanic (not a hybrid expert) replaced the Fuel Pump as instructed and was not able to get the car to start or clear the above codes. He stated there is a different issue and the fuel pump is not the cause.

I towed it home and then had it towed again to a hybrid mechanic shop which claimed that the 'used' fuel pump that was put in is faulty and no fuel is coming to the engine. They are charging me 1100 to replace the fuel pump. I towed it home again as I can't afford this.

I tried to do some diagnosis but the car wouldnt turn on. With a jumper cable I was able to turn the car on - the battery must have died while the shops prob left the car on. I took it to the shop I purchased from and was able to get a new battery as this one was a dud after 2 years.

With the new battery installed - The car turns on ok, but not hearing any noise coming from the fuel pump. Ive tested the voltage at the Fuel Pump plug (While disconnected from the fuel pump) and I am not getting any reading when the car is on. (I only get 1.2V on the black cable)

Any thoughts on why the fuel pump isnt kicking on? Is it a fuse? a bad relay?

Any help is appreciated!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Have you looked up the codes?

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    There's really one code there, and two codes from other ECUs that are just gossip about that one. It goes like this:

P3190 means "hey, I can't get this engine to make more than a fifth of the power it should be making". This code is set by the engine control module (ECM), which is directly in control of the engine, so it oughtta know.

If the ECM then gives up on starting the engine, the power management control ECU (orchestra conductor for the car, essentially) sets code P0A0F, which just means "I'm not sure what's up over there, but I cued the ECM to start the engine and it didn't".

And when that P0A0F gets set, the skid control ECU sets code C1259, which just means "hey, there's a trouble code over in the power management control ECU".

So the three codes are only telling you what the P3190 by itself tells you. And that code still leaves you plenty of diagnosing to do, because with all of the fancy modern hybrid-specific things in a Prius and all of the specific codes that go with them, P3190 kind of throws you back to olden days, 'cause it just means "boy, this engine sure isn't running well, and it'll just take somebody using plain olden-day gasoline engine diagnostic skills to find out why".

Ever since the olden days, the three big areas that could figure in are;

• fuel mixture
    • spark
    • compression

so a person usually tries to make some early tests to figure out which of those three areas to be looking in, and then goes from there.

The extra challenge in a Prius is to get that diagnosis done with as few repeated attempts to start as possible, because each unsuccessful attempt drops the traction battery charge by about 1%, and at a point it will stop giving you any more attempts, and that's a bigger headache.

5. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    The extra extra challenge is that the Prius c battery pack is smaller, yet it is cranking the same engine. I couldn't characterize the exact spend per attempt, but simple logic suggests you'd get about a third fewer tries.

6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm not sure how precise the 1% figure was to begin with anyway. The Gen 3 liftback battery is the same configuration as Gen 2's, yet cranking a bigger engine. :) I know I got the 1% per attempt from some Toyota document I saw, but I don't remember what generation it was for.

7. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Ah, good point about the 1% number being attached to the 1.8L.

I guess we have to be thankful that most mechanics can make progress on the gas-spark-air challenge before the fourth attempt.