1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius C One 2015 - Rear Speakers

Discussion in 'Prius c Audio and Electronics' started by ERam, Apr 9, 2016.

1. ERam

ERam New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Hi Everyone,

As everyone knows, the Prius C One 2015 does not come with rear door speakers and it is quite difficult to find installation information. I took the car to the dealer to find out how much it would cost or if it was even possible to get this done. What I found out is that only a few dealers in my area can do such a thing and it would be expensive $$$$ plus I would have to wait to get special parts shipped in.

After this I went to an aftermarket stereo installer shop and asked for a quote. Again expenses where a bit on the high side with a estimate of $500+. I would have gone with this option but I observed an installation but it didn't quite seem "oem" for my style. Their approach was drilling holes in the harness to pass the wiring through. Also there were too many zip ties for my taste.

Which brings me to my post, I did a lot of research to do it my self and I will post my finding here. I would have posted pictures but since I closed everything off I will have to wait for the rain to stop and then dismantle my car once again. The proper way to run wire is underneath front seats and through center console but this is impossible because the main computer is now in this location.

Disclaimer: Open panels at your own risk. Plastic may break if done incorrectly
    Parts:
    • 12 Female Sumitomo 090 inch TS terminals ( F090-SMTS )
    • 4 Male Sumitomo 090 inch TS terminals ( M090-SMTS )
    • 4 x 20 Ft. (12-18)-gauge AWG stranded copper wire (multi-colored)
      • Black w/ yellow stripes
      • Yellow w/ black stripes
      • Red w/ white stripes
      • White w/ red stripes
    • 2 x 2P090K-YZ-1026-F or equivalent from junk yard (speaker harness)
    • 1/4" x 30' feet shrink tube w/ 2:1 ratio (use what you can not necessary)
    • 4" zip ties (a little bag is more than enough)
    • 6.5" Speakers (your choice of brand) + (mounting brackets and adapters)
    2P090K-YZ-1026-F.jpg f090-smts.jpg m090-smts.jpg

Tools:
    • 16-12 guage open barrel Crimping tool
    • Wire stripper 18-10 gugage with cutter
    • small flat head screw driver no bigger than 2 mm on width or
    • 5-Piece Asian Terminal Kit
    • Torque ratchet wrench or regular ratchet wrench
    • 10mm socket with minimum 5" extension
    • Panel removal kit tools
    • Needle nose pliers
    • Heat gun
    • Scissors
    * You can substitute terminals with generic brands but I don't guarantee compatibility. Also, wire gauge should be no lower than 18 AWG (its really pushing it). Oh and get spare terminals you might mess up once or twice and I bypassed one entire harness because I got lazy. You might want to do it, it up to you. Prius One has the floor wires for 6 speakers.

Okay this covers the intro and parts section of this thread. I'll post more once I have time (at least once a week)

#1 ERam, Apr 9, 2016
    Last edited: May 11, 2016
    J-S Baril likes this.
  2. ERam

ERam New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Head Unit:
    The original head unit is : Fujitsu Ten 86140-52320
    Note: I originally said that this doesn't support camera but that is wrong. According to the wiring diagrams it should be already pre-wired with exception of the back wires which can be manually done or bought from Toyota. I will post the changes in a different post
    Head Unit.jpg
    When disassembling the head unit make sure not to pry at the shinny side but rather around the shinny side
    dash.jpg
    There will be some tabs that should easily come off
    tabs.jpg
    and 4x 10mm screws use a magnetic tool so you don't loose the screw
    You will need a 5" or bigger extension to reach the screws at the bottom

Note: as of right now. There is no dash kit available for the 2015 head unit in mass production. 2014 models are different since they have an extra lip on the left bottom corner that is not found in the 2015 style head unit. But of course you can use the metra kit 2014 prius c and sand it down. Pictures on this once I have finished

#2 ERam, Apr 20, 2016
    Last edited: May 11, 2016
    J-S Baril likes this.
  3. ERam

ERam New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    The floor wire has a specific color for speakers. You can opt to replace these for larger guage wire. I think they are using 20 guage wire but its really up to you if you want a larger wire since the distance is less than 25 ft

The floor harness is located near the front wheel
    p0.jpg p1.jpg

The driver side uses black and yellow as colors for speakers (Black: Positive and Yellow: Negative)
    You can change them but you might want to use these colors so that future owners might not get confused but its up to you.

p2.jpg p3.jpg
    You will need to insert the male connectors through the side which is not visible on the other side of the yellow and black wires

p4.jpg p5.jpg

This is the same harness but on the door side. This side will require the female connector. Be careful with the door connector. If you close the door even gently it will most likely break the plastic harness

J-S Baril likes this.
  4. Holly W

Holly W New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Thanks ERam for posting all this. I'm in pretty much the same boat. I just bought a used 2014 Prius C One. It was quite a shock to find out that not only are there no rear speakers but no wires for them either. I'll be reading your posts avidly!

5. ERam

ERam New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Hi Holly,
    I'm making modifications based on the wiring diagram for the 2015 prius c. The information should be relatively the same but I know that the wiring diagram for the head unit is different since the camera is now located on the 24 pin connector. Most dealers will give you the wiring diagram if you ask them and let them know that you will change the oem stereo for an aftermarket stereo. Some may charge a small fee but it is information that serves best. I will post more tonight

6. ERam

ERam New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    There are 4 points to where the speaker wires will travel. Also you will need to remove parts of the dash in order to get to these wires.
    Please note that you must be careful with plastic clips
    Harness location.png console harness.png