1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

prius c P0A80 replace battery pack ~ 2wks after parked rear end

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by zmyr88, Aug 2, 2020.

1. zmyr88

zmyr88 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    ok so apparently maybe a dead body did it or just bad luck coroner with the stiff hit my car pulling out while i was parked :LOL: (NO JOKE really did hit it). and about 2 weeks later it went to CHECK hybrid system stop immediately. scan gagued to p0a80 from autozone tool.

had someone different driving after the incident wonder if they just drained it really low and tripped it. is there a way to fix it i reset it and re calibrate it to re-read voltage or to work or see if its safe to drive and not leave me stranded. can i drive it with a failing battery or will i find while driving im on the side of the road??!!!

2. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That code indicates a balance issue among the modules in the pack. That indicates a failed pack, not a drained one.

3. zmyr88

zmyr88 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    so is it safe to drive or not. and i guess the battery is hosed. no way i can self fix.
    bye bye 1.5k
    can an collision with the rear end of the prius cause that?

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it's fine to drive. i would pull the pack and have a look around. 6 years is a bit unusual.

how many miles on her?

5. zmyr88

zmyr88 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    2014 prius c. 13xK i think 135 or less

bisco likes this.
  6. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Balance issues can often be caused by one cell self-discharging faster than other cells... Or if a cell is weaker than others as high amp loads charge and discharge is what throws the warning lights. The former can be fixed w/charge & balance of pack and the latter is fixed by simple reconditioning or replacement.

HybridAutomotive.com has a system that makes charging and balancing easy, as well as reconditioning. Or alternatively you can try force charging the pack: put car in drive, foot on brake floor the gas pedal.

If you lived near me, I'd simply put in a loaner pack and recondition and replace bad cells in your pack and you'd be back on the road for up to a few years and cost would be less than $500...

But if you buy brand new pack then pack is good for a decade....

zmyr88 likes this.
  7. zmyr88

zmyr88 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    oh i am not tech savvey or car savey at least

8. zmyr88

zmyr88 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Might try it how long foot on both? Steps I take or just hold both untill it maxed

9. zmyr88

zmyr88 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I'm in Ohio if it makes a difference

10. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you’re lucky the major issue may be bus bar corrosion. Cleaning or replacing and retorquing the nuts may help buy some time.

11. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Sometimes you can reset the computer to make it forget that it detected the failing battery pack, and then keep driving. And some people can get away with quite a lot of normal driving after doing this- but not everybody. It really could fail the same way again, and it is really, really hard to make predictions about it.

Has the car been parked much lately? These hybrids (their batteries really) appreciate daily use. Doesn't have to be a lot, but they need frequent exercise to stay in good shape. Sitting is bad.

Also, check your battery cooling fan. If the fan or ductwork is blocked, the battery can show failure symptoms prematurely, and if the poor ventilation isn't fixed the battery can be damaged permanently.

12. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Anything is possible but no. Just like a flashlight with a dim yellow light is (almost certainly) due to nearly dead batteries not because someone dropped it last week and put it back on the shelf.

13. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Once the pack is charged up the computers will stop you from charging it further... But it's best to use Dr. Prius app to better monitor the details of it all as it happens so you know how each of your 10 blocks of 12 cells each is responding to that kind of relatively high amp charge. Here's buyer's guide for device you need to make app work: Hybrid battery diagnostic and repair tool for Toyota and Lexus

14. zmyr88

zmyr88 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    s
    so i got dr.battery and tries for S&G reset the battery and engine code and it cleared after a few min of dirving and went about 10 miles prob without a code i parked and went to my job. i will test it tonight. but is it safe if i just cleared it without doing anything.
    showed a lot red marks for things out of spec but in the about 10 min drive it didnt fault. i got to do a 100 mile maybe trip tonight wanna be sure it won't leave me stranded. like it should figure out nothing got fixed and fault again right?? then go to preservation mode like it did before of keeping the engine always running??

15. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What are the error codes and sub codes you're getting via Dr. Prius app? You can monitor and clear codes as they pop up on your 100 mile trip and things will likely succeed without incident. But if you don't know what the codes are pointing to than you're flying blind and may end up broke down on side of the road. Let us know the codes and we'll be able to explain what your chances are for your trip?

16. zmyr88

zmyr88 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    forgot to pull the codes.
    orginally the pa080 will try to see ifi i can get it to pull some next test drive before the trip.

17. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    yeah that code is just saying there's a problem with the pack, but you have to access the subcodes to know the specifics of the problem.

18. zmyr88

zmyr88 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    What tool I need got one that works great I think with dr.prius but wanted the sub codes is there an app?

19. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Dr. Prius is good enough in most cases...

20. zmyr88

zmyr88 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    not seeing it only give me the generic pa code nothing else. or do i have to do something to see second level. was told i believe by you need the sub codes