1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius c Supply Drying Up?

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by Patrick K, Apr 25, 2012.

1. BGGirl

BGGirl Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Well mine was supposed to be here starting yesterday but no car yet. Irritated because two weeks ago when I talked to them about what happened after the car got off the ship, the manager told me that it would be put onto a train to either Memphis or Louisville. He said that he would put a "hot load" order in on it so that as soon as it got off the train, it would be put on a transport right away. Well funny when I went in yesterday to check on where it was.. he asked the fleet manager to call the next morning and ask for a hot load on it. So I guess he never bothered to do it previously like he said that he would because he just asked the fleet guy to do it because I was in there checking on it's status. And of course another guy standing there made sure to pipe up with_"Well if its not here by Friday afternoon, then you might as well know that you will be waiting on it into next week because they just don't do anything on the weekends." I think he meant the transport trucks but who knows.. really wasn't making me feel any better. So yet another time that the dealership has promised me that they will or are doing something and really never did it. Frustrated with the whole thing. I called the fleet manager this morning and he said that the car is sitting in Memphis so I guess I am out of luck until sometime next week. :( Really was looking forward to getting it before the weekend.

2. BGGirl

BGGirl Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three

Of course you can order one.. I did and they were actually able to grab one just the way I wanted it before it was loaded on the ship. Already built and everything.

3. yogipaolo

yogipaolo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    You have it a bit reversed. Manual transmissions have fewer moving parts than automatic transmissions. Manuals are simpler in design, while the hydraulics and now solenoids necessary in an automatic transmission provide MORE wear items than a manual.

As far as clutches wearing out, I've seen cars with 20k miles on a clutch and with 90k miles (former auto mechanic here). It all depends on how the driver treats the clutch. Given that most cars in the U.S. are automatics, there is not a whole lot of collective experience on how to drive with a clutch. I'm sure that's why people are burning through clutches so fast.

In the past 10 years or so, manual transmissions have gotten a lot more efficient so often, the manuals are rated for higher mileage than the manual. The kicker here is that many of the new-generation automatic transmissions are essentially computer-controlled manual transmissions and not the old-school hydraulically-actuated "slusher" transmissions. So the lines are being blurred between the manual and automatic transmissions.

4. alfon

alfon Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

I agree manual transmission have fewer moving parts
    and they have no cooling issues, as auto and cvt
    tranny's do.

Also, depending how you drive manual tranny's will
    last the life of the car, and the clutch, depending
    how you drive as well. ( Our 2003 TDI Jetta
    Wagon is a 5 speed manual with 134,000 miles
    and no tranny or clutch issues)

But as technology goes so will the manual tranny as
    auto's and cvt are more advanced and eventually will
    achieve higher mpg's and be rock solid dependable.

5. Hawkfan

Hawkfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Dying to get my C2. Only ordered 2 weeks ago and I've been trying to keep myself from calling the dealership to check on the status. But maybe I should based on BGGirl's experience. Is it safe to say 4-6 weeks on average? I'm in the Seattle area.

6. BGGirl

BGGirl Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I would definitely call and stay on top of them. Call and asked them if it is on the allotment sheet yet. That is how I found out when it got loaded on the ship. I was also given the VIN at that time. Mine was already built when it was ordered and they were able to grab it right before it was put on the ship. But actually I have been waiting since the end of March but they tried to find it stateside first before ordering it.

1 person likes this.
  7. penquin230

penquin230 "Golden Hawk"

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Leafs will be made in Tenn...but not yet they are still building up the factory.The Battery Plant is about to go online though.