1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius C tail light leak issue. Factory defect

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by edteach, Dec 29, 2022.

1. edteach

edteach Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I have a 2014 Prius C. I bought it new in 14. out of the gate I would get some fog on the lights but we were moving and I did not take it in. This past cold snap my back up light went out. I thought it was just a light so I wen to take it out and it was a block of ice in the lower BU light compartment. I waited till today to pull the light. The bulb was full of water and fell apart when I took it out. I drilled two holes in both sides to let the water out. I know it will work but it will fog up all the time. I called my local dealer and they said bring it in and we will take a look at it. I asked if there would be a charge. I was told 150 dollars. I said you want me to pay you 150 dollars so you can tell me what I already know and then have you tell me there is nothing I can do when I can buy two new lights for 250? They said yes. Landers Toyota is a garbage dealer. The last Tacoma I bought about a year ago used, the salesman told me it had a 90 day warrantee. I had an issue I wanted them to look at and I was told by service there was no warrantee. The salesman lied for a second time to my face and said he never said that.

I then called Toyota direct and they said they made a record of this issue and they would let me know if something comes of it. I know its a very common factory defect. I have read many who said it was an issue they had to deal with. So I have a question for those who are or have dealt with this issue. Did you buy new tail light assemblies and if so did they hold up or leak also? It is better to just keep what I have and live with the fog now and then or better to replace? I can get them for 250 for two but I want to know more before I waste money on something that will leak again. Also if you have had or are having an issue, call Toyota direct and tell them about it. The guy at Toyota direct said if they get enough people telling them of this issue it can spark a recall.
    Its an obvious factory or manufacturer defect.

rhkcommander and valuequest like this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    he lied

3. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Toyota has already announced at least one program to deal with water intrusion in Prius c taillights. It's not a full recall, but they're helping people out at least in some circumstances.

Call other dealers. Once you find one who knows about the service program, try working with them.

rhkcommander likes this.
  4. edteach

edteach Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks. I will do that.

5. MannySwol

MannySwol Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Have noticed signs of moisture in the taillights for quite a while in my 2012 Prius C. No standing water... just condensation, etc..

In the recent cold snap, enough moisture got in the driver side taillight enclosure and froze so quickly, it blew out the taillight enclosure from the inside and also took out the reverse light.

Found an enclosure from a dealer in VA, shipped for $74. Probably a 20-30 minute job if it is your first time and are being safe... 10 minutes if you've done it before.

Not sure what to expect from Toyota for a 2012, but any info on such a support program is appreciated.

#5 MannySwol, Dec 31, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2022
  6. BiomedO1

BiomedO1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    I had a similar issue on an old Honda Prelude. I simply pulled out both assemblies and sealed all the upper assembly seams with clear silicone tub caulk. Drilled a small weep hole at the lowest point of the lamp assembly - Problem solved for two dollars in caulk and my time.

Hope this helps

Montgomery likes this.
  7. edteach

edteach Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Pirus Cs are known for this. I have talked to people who work at dealers who say they hear this issue a lot. Its an obvious factory defect. The plastic weld or glue on the seam between the gray and the clear plastic. That seam is on the curve is where it gives. I saw some who said on YouTube who used silicone. I would not use silicone. It has a habit of not having a strong hold on plastic. I used a tooth pick and two part clear epoxy. Where ever it was loose I pulled it a bit apart with my finger nail and let the tooth pick work it in then clamped it. One side then when it sets the other. I am not sure it will hold up, but my fear is I spend 250 for a new set and it does the same thing. I also drilled two small holes in the bottom of the compartment that is for the back up lamp. This will let any moisture in future drain out. I will post how it works in a few months. But I don't see why it would not.

8. MannySwol

MannySwol Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Seems like drilling holes would prevent standing water, but invite moisture from a new location (clouding, mold, etc) and also bugs into the enclosure.

I located a brand new enclosure for $75 shipped to replace mine that burst due to ice... so not a fortune.

9. edteach

edteach Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    That is like saying I found gold watch at good will for 15 dollars so gold is not that High. You don't find them for than unless like you one lucks upon one at a garage sale or dealer who wants to get rid of old stock. And what is to say Toyota ever fixed the issue? You may end up needing another one in a year.

10. MannySwol

MannySwol Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I don't fully understand what you're saying, but there are plenty of Toyota dealers at the moment that have free shipping over $75 with the part in stock, discounted to around $75.

Sometimes things needs maintenance... nothing lasts forever.

11. edteach

edteach Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I get things break down from wear and tear. But the seal of welded plastic lens should not have the issue it does. This is a obvious factory defect. Both my lens and the ones I see on YouTube all seem to come separate at the same place. I don't mind wear and tear but this is not that. If you have the inside scoop on were to buy them for 75 bucks and free shipping share the wealth.

12. MannySwol

MannySwol Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Just Google the part number -- or enough keywords to fully describe. Google will present an array of ads above the search results and expand that. You will see the price and the dealers which offer free shipping over $75 will also be noted, where you enter FREESHIP as the promo code.

I too, thought I was going to end up paying $125 for this part.. until I took the time to explore.

It's a bit like searching for a needle in a haystack though. My local dealer wanted around $110 for the part FYI.

13. edteach

edteach Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I did that already. I just did it again. The only one I found on a google search from a dealer selling for less than 100 bucks was Tom Wood selling them for 80 plus 40 shipping. I am not sure you are thinking of the same lens. I need a 2012 to 2015 Prius C tail light assembly. Funny but this one popped up and made me laugh. The ad was for a 2018 to 2020 Prius C USED tail lights left and right on eBay for 680 and 95 shipping. LMAO https://www.ebay.com/itm/155056758684?chn=ps&mkevt=1&mkcid=28&srsltid=AeTuncqgRqmSeec01WgUOCMBudGC7AGjWmzg2RQ0bi465PRDl3jKEbA5UI0

14. PriusII&C

PriusII&C Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This happened to my 2012 Prius C 4 or 5 years ago. I drilled a small hole, replaced the light bulb, and moved on.

15. edteach

edteach Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    That is what I did. After I glued with clear epoxy the part that was leaking. Also there is 14 dollars shipping estimate, could be higher and tax. So its still over 100 dollars on your link.

Montgomery likes this.
  16. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I purchased aftermarket headlights that leaked. dried them out in the sun. Sealed the entire seam with epoxy, ended the issue.

17. edteach

edteach Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Yep, that is what I did. I hope it holds. I plan to keep the car for a few more years. If not I can always look for that great deal on the pair. Thanks for all the posts.

18. MannySwol

MannySwol Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Did you not see the FREESHIP promo code I posted twice? You have to actually enter and submit it. Need to follow directions.

Quite frustrating..

Attached Files:

19. ammdb

ammdb Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Had the same problem with '14 C drivers side tail light. After removing from the car and drying in the sun, put silicone sealer around the outside edge, appears to have fixed the issue.