1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius C tire pressure sensor

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Roxas125, Jan 29, 2017.

1. Roxas125

Roxas125 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi everyone, I recently changed my Prius C wheels to a universal 15" allow wheels, I checked the wheel pressures with a digital meter and they measure the regulatory psi for the Prius C but the Pressure sensor is on and won't turn off, is there a way to fix this?

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

2. Sean Nelson

Sean Nelson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    The TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System) sensors in the valve stems need to be "registered" to the car in order for it to recognize them. There's some information on this in this thread.

3. Roxas125

Roxas125 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
  4. Roxas125

Roxas125 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok, how do I register the new sensors to the car, or is there a way to reset them?

5. Sean Nelson

Sean Nelson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    I can't give any specific advice, but perhaps this thread may give you some ideas...

6. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Well first you need to make sure that you ACTUALLY HAVE new sensors.
    Check with whoever did the wheel swap.

They maybe could have re-used to old ones......but my guess now is that they didn't realize what they were doing and put in new stems WITHOUT sensors......and the old ones are long gone. If that's the case, somebody is going to have to pay for new sensor stems.

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Your new wheels need to have sensors, for starters. Check your invoice to verify, there would be a separate charge, for "TPMS sensor" or something similar. Also take a look at the pressure valves, if they're grey metallic, you likely have sensors. Black rubber: you don't.

There's a possibility too that you've got some sort of generic TPMS sensor, that may or may not work.

At the end of the day: the worst that can happen is you might have wasted money on TPMS that don't work, but you still have wheels and valves that work, just old school. :)

FWIW, we run 4 months out of the year on snow tires (mounted on Corolla) rims. They have traditional (black rubber) valves. A little light is on on the dash. Come spring, I put the OEM wheels back on, light goes out.

8. Roxas125

Roxas125 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    I got a set of sensors from eBay for $30 the worker at the tire shop coudlnt program them but he said the car was supposed to detect them after a while, he also said that I could take it to the dealer and have them take a look