1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius C Tranmission/Transaxle/HSD Oil Change

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by priusCpilot, Apr 1, 2013.

1. legoadan

legoadan Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I hope I'm not too late for this conversation, but I have a few questions. So, just so I'm getting this correctly.

Changing out the transmission fluid can either help the transmission last longer (as Mr. Incredible advocates) or do nothing and be a small waste of money. Now, I myself am convinced that it's worth it to change the fluid at 30k and and every 60k after because it does grant piece of mind (and at worst case scenario you wasted a few bucks) ; but is there anyone who thinks it could possibly be bad to change the fluid? e.i. changing the fluid could damage the transmission?? I'm expecting a "no" answer, but I just want to make sure...

-

Also, has anyone heard from Jzair? The courier who broke their transmission? I wanted some closure as to whether or not they ever figured out what exactly went wrong with her transmission. I'm interested because I plan to drive my C for at least 200k.

2. telmo744

telmo744 HSD fanatic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Prius has a very simple gear set, with no controlled friction (valves, clutches or torque converters).
    It contains also the MGs, and gunk (if formed) can wear out the annular gap.
    There is IMPOV no reason to harm the transaxle by changing fluid.

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Luddite

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Legoadan, I think you've summed it up perfectly!

4. legoadan

legoadan Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Perfect. Then I am definitely going to change it out once I get there. Thanks.

5. Invisibleman

Invisibleman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Anyone have any pictures of the drain and refill plugs of the transmission on the Prius C? Did a search but can only find pics for the reg. Prius.

6. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    They're almost identical.

mertechperformance likes this.
  7. KYBlue

KYBlue Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    I'll try to document, I'm at 28.5k miles, plan to change it at 30 when I do the oil.... Should be in the next few weeks.

1 year and 28k miles not a single visit to the dealer :) beats the 2+ months my 2013 altima did in it's first 8 months lol... thank god I was able to lemon law it, that thing sucked!

Chris

ztanos likes this.
  8. KYBlue

KYBlue Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Excuse some of the blurry cam pics...

I did the oil and changed the tranny fluid in less then an hour today (with my 3yr old helper asking what ever part was lol).

I'll note that it was so easy, and price was cheap that I'll continue to change it though Toyota says it's not needed. The drained fluid was a lot darker. I'll also note I recently purchased a sub-compact tractor, all makes/models require all fluids changed at 50 hours, then 200 hours afterwards - just seems smart to flush out the manufacturing gunk early on....

Only documenting the CVT fluid change.

Materials:
    4qts Toyota WS ATF - my dealer charged $38 w/tax - you'll need about 3.5qts
    Gear oil funnel with long hose (I got the one pictured at walmart for $5, added a piece of hose I had).
    Ramps and or jack + stands
    Something that will hold at least 4qts of drained fluid
    Air tool or longer breaker bar and 10MM allen socket

Steps:
    I drove onto my ramps first
    Before draining the tranny, be sure you can bust the fill plug loose (juuuuust in case!) The fill plug is on the back side of the tranny, near the rear motor mount, near where the passenger axle enters the tranny (you'll be looking towards the drivers tire to see it from the passenger side).
    Started the draining process, look for the drain plug on the transmission, you'll be looking towards the passenger side and see the 10mm socket low on the front side of the tranny.
    While it was draining I jacked the back of the car up and put it on stands so that the car was level (important for refill).
    After it was drained, replace the drain plug (note the washer probably calls to be replaced, I did not do so, no leaks etc thus far).
    Fill back up using the fill port in the back of the tranny, note that I had my funnel on the passenger side, behind the engine near where the oil fill cap is (sorry for the blurry cam). The funnel + hose + my additional drain hose was perfect length to run down to the drain hole. You also want your drain pan under this fill port for when it starts to run out.
    Fill the tranny up until it starts to run out, run the first 3 qts in at full speed. You'll need about 3.5, so the last bottle put in sloooowly so that as it leaks you can stop and not pour a bunch out.
    After it starts to run out, wait until it stops then replace the drain plug. You're done!

Pics:
    1. Walmart fill funnel w/hose (plus some hose I had laying around added to it).

20140803_110622.jpg
    Blurry cam - back corner of engine near firewall where I had the funnel sitting, ran the hose down the back of the firewall to the fill port.

20140803_110629.jpg

Drain plug - front of tranny - looking towards the passenger wheel.
    20140803_110702.jpg Fill plug - back of tranny, above rear motor mount - looking towards the driver's wheel.
    20140803_110717.jpg

9. maddog61

maddog61 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I mostly travel on the highway at around 60 mph between Revelstoke and Golden BC (190miles round trip weekly), which has a few of long steep hills. Just changed the ATF at 30,000 miles, the WS fluid was really dark and nasty, compared to the new fluid. If you drive your vehicle keeping up to regular traffic, working hard on hilly terrain, then change your ATF.. It was easy to do and only takes about an hour , if the plugs are not over tighten at the factory.

mertechperformance likes this.
  10. kevtan

kevtan Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three

ATF oil change Prius c at 40k km

11. Raidin

Raidin Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I wanted to drop by and report that my C2, which is now retired from courier duty and is going to be a commuter car, is sitting at about 133k miles, with no CVT issues. Let's hope it stays that way, because I never changed the ATF fluid.

ztanos likes this.
  12. mertechperformance

mertechperformance Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Good to know. I'm thinking I'll change mine at 30k and then 60k intervals after that

13. Invisibleman

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Just did the fluid change at 55k miles. Fluid was dark and nowhere near the cherry red new fluid. I think it's a good idea to change it. Couldn't hurt. Took me same amount of time as doing a regular oil change.

kevtan likes this.
  14. Invisibleman

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    35k miles old vs new. Can't get pix to load.

15. robertmaria

robertmaria Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    it seems to be very cheap insurance and well worth the peace of mind to change it at 30k.
    i missed my 5k oil change ,,, itz now about 7k miles ,,, i will do it soon.

16. Invisibleman

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
  17. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Looks like our transaxle fluid at 37k on our hatchback:

[​IMG]

SCH-I535

18. Raidin

Raidin Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I got an email alert about Invisibleman's post where he shows the fluids in the plastic bottles, but in the email, I get a picture of what appears to be a plant in a white pot... anyone else see that?

19. Invisibleman

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Yeah, I posted the bottles, but somehow that pot showed up. Don't know where it came from, so I deleted it and reposted again.

20. FireAce

FireAce New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    My PC is 10 months old and I went to Toyota for servicing (regular oil change) few months back. Requested for transaxle fluid change and the service advisor told me it's a complicated process and some sort of recalibration need to be done. Is he BS me? End up didn't do cause I don't have time to wait that day.