1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius C Tranmission/Transaxle/HSD Oil Change

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by priusCpilot, Apr 1, 2013.

1. Matt H

Matt H Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Aqua
    Model:
    N/A

All Toyota's have a brake fluid change recommended interval of three years on the original fluid, and every two years thereafter.

2. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    No, that is not correct. Maybe the Japanese market model Toyota's have that specified.

Since you don't believe me, seeing is believing. Go to The US Toyota website and pull up maintenance schedule booklet for the following models:
    2007 Prius - NO brake flush specified at all.
    2007 Highlander Hybrid - NO Brake flush specified at all.
    2007 Lexus RX400h- Brake flush specified every 30,000 miles. Use this link to get to Lexus owners site to select the year and model, then the maintenance schedule.​

Now if you have done the homework assignment, you will see what I stated above to be true. You may also wonder why Toyota has contradictory maintenance schedule for the Highland Hybrid vs RX400h, when these are pretty much identical.

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Toyota's now recommending tri-yearly brake fluid changes, for 2015 Prius for example.

4. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    It's DOT3 people, and doesn't care what car it's in. Do what you want.

#164 frodoz737, Jan 20, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2015
  5. vinnie97

vinnie97 Whatever Works

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks, very useful link! It's curious and curioser how the recommended intervals keep evolving. :) I am sure I paid too much to exchange my brake and coolant fluids today at the dealership, but I am ill-equipped (physically and supply-wise) to do it myself, so here's to at least 10 long years of service life. I am probably shooting myself in the foot, as I've been waiting 10k miles to do the engine oil changes. I'm in the high desert so hopefully I haven't caused too much premature engine aging (it's those cold starts that are the most harmful from what I understand, and I keep mine in a garage, further shielding it from the chilly air).

6. Raidin

Raidin Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Are you implying that even after an early ATF change, there will still be a significant amount of metal particles to justify a magnetic bolt?

7. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Our last car had a magnetic drain bolt, and a spec'd replacement interval for the fluid. Seems to me every time I drained it the bolt had a fair amount of silvery sludge. Maybe a bit less, but still a fair amount. More conventional CVT though.

8. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Metal will always be "breaking off."

Your transaxle is well broken-in at 140K miles, w/ no drain/fill having been performed. Realistically, the amount of ferrous debris in future drain/fills will be less compared to mine (30K miles on a new replacement, w/ 2 drain/fills having been performed at 15K intervals). However, you don't have a magnetic drain plugs so you won't know for certain how much ferrous debris there is. You can always pay for an oil analysis to get an idea like Bob Wilson and the Professor have done.

As stated earlier, the magnetic drain plug captures, assumed, some/most of the broken off metal pieces in the fluid. This in turns helps reduce wear by reducing the amount of ferrous particles circulating in the ATF-WS fluid, allowing for more cleaner fluid to circulate that has few ferrous particles in it.

Now when you wash your hands in the bathroom with soap and water, its pretty much slippery and friction free. Imagine if you add fine grit sand while washing your hands with soap and water. Lots of friction and you'll probably shed some skin. The sand here is analogous to the ferrous particles circulating in the ATF-WS fluid. A magnetic drain bolt will capture the ferrous particles, which in turn will help reduce wear.

The Goldplug magnetic transaxle drain plug is $19 + $3 shipping = $22 total. Buy, don't buy, your choice.

If you can't appreciate what a magnetic drain plug can do or don't believe me, that fine.

Your wallet, your car, do as you please.

9. vinnie97

vinnie97 Whatever Works

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I probably missed it buried in the thread, but where can this drain plug be purchased?

10. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Goldplug's transaxle part number for your 2012 PriusC is AP-05. Goldplug also makes magnetic engine oil drain plugs too.

Gold Plug LLC

PriusChat member "Rude person's" makes transaxle and engine oil drain plugs too.

Mike500 and vinnie97 like this.
  11. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Previously, I was able to get 15/16" or 24mm hex head plugs.

Now, I've made some with OE Toyota transaxle plugs with the standard 10mm hex socket. If you have a Gen II, you can use the current 100 hex socket plug as the filler plug and dispense with the shallow hex head 24mm fill plug.

Toyota did that with the 2010+ Prius models, but dispensed with the magnet.

I don't know what the head size of the Gold Plug.

j12piprius likes this.
  12. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    1" socket. I think that would be a 25mm socket.

13. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    If it is a one inch socket, that's 25.4mm. A 25mm socket wouldn't fit, and a 26mm is too loose.

A 10mm hex "Allen" wrench is much more convenient, since you already have it to remove and replace the OEM plug.

14. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    25 mm might fit, depending on the amount of slop. If 25mm is available. Kind of a moot point, considering how common 1" is.

I'm using a 13/16" socket for the 21 mm lug nuts. It's a little snug, but fit. Well, except for the locking nut adapter, had to file it's faces slightly.

15. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    One inch is not a commonly available socket in 3/8 drive. A half inch drive socket with a half inch ratchet would be bulky and cumbersome, Then, you'd need a half to 3/8 drive down converter, if you want to use a 3/8 ratchet.

Spare the complication. Just us a plug that fits the tools you already have.

16. vinnie97

vinnie97 Whatever Works

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I wish I'd checked this thread before having the fluid exchange. I might do the next change in 30k with the above magnetic plug as opposed to 60k in order to minimize the wear sooner rather than later (not sure I'll be able to resist the Prius Gen IV actually).

17. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    You could have a shop attempt to quickly replace the plug and maybe loose a quart (or less) of ATF-WS. Just tell them to swap drain plug, then open fill plug to add the necessary amount of ATF-WS.

18. Raidin

Raidin Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    When my mechanic checked the fluid, he didn't have any spill out. He just touched the opening to get some on his finger to check the color.

19. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four

20. Raidin

Raidin Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not sure why you posted that again, but I was talking about how he took the drain plug out and didn't have the fluid just come spilling out, as a comment to someone else's post.