1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius C Two Shudder, Lurch &"Ready" light

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by dubit, Dec 3, 2016.

1. dubit

dubit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Hello all. Just looking for some input on what is considered "normal" here.

1. Shudder from the CVT. Perfectly smooth at acceleration, but cruising speeds produce a noticeable shudder. How much, if any is normal?

2. Lurching. When first started, and the engine kicks on. (while still in park) The vehicle will lurch forward even though it's in park. Normal/Not normal?

2(a) Second part of the above question. We had a very cold morning here in Indiana and on this morning I went outside and started up the vehicle. (Yeah, I know, but I don't like being cold). As I was walking back to my car I heard a very loud "Flop, Flop, Flop" (sorta like a belt slap) and the car was violently lurching back and forth. (For this reason she goes into the shop on Wednesday - that cannot be normal)

3. Ready light. My C is Two so I have to use the key. Within the last week, and post violent lurch, I have to turn the key multiple times in order to get the "ready" light to show up. Does it matter? Once it never did, but I had to get to work and I said "F" it, she's under warranty. Anyone have this issue before?

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I've been idly wondering myself when I see this. So that's not what you initially typed? The site's auto correct on this is getting tiresome.

Prius c never even had a II, lol.

3. dubit

dubit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    Two

On a sidenote, I was in the car yesterday. Hopped on the interstate and got the shudder again. But the speeds yesterday were around 80mph and at one point 85mph on the interstate. No issue keeping up, which surprised me. But did notice the shudder was nearly unnoticeable when back at regular highway speeds. .

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how long have you had it? was it new? how long did it sit on the lot? how many miles? have you tested another to compare? none of these issues sound right, but it's hard to tell over the internet.

Mendel Leisk and Raytheeagle like this.
  5. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    How many miles on your Prius? How long have you had it? What does the engine sound like when the lurch occurs (high rev, not running, quiet, etc.)? Have you done any work recently to the car?

I have noticed when I put my 2010 Prius II into "maintenance mode" I can feel the car rocking a little. But the engine is idling at about 1000 Rpms if I watch it on the app I have on my phone.

Keep us posted(y).

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    ^ Yeah, all of the above.

#6 Mendel Leisk, Dec 4, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2016
  7. dubit

dubit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    2815 miles on the car, purchased new this past September. The shudder has not been compared to another Pruis, and was only wondering if some is normal. The lurch while in park occurs when the engine first starts. Only once has it occurred so violently that I knew something was awry. But in that instance it happened when accompanied by the slapping noise, similar to what a waist belt would sound like if you hit it on a table.

Ready light not coming on still happens on occasion and will take 2 or 3 attempts to illuminate. Engine sounds quiet and normal in all instances.

The vehicle sat unsold for 2 months on the lot before I purchased it. With only 45 miles on the ODO at time of purchase. My son is a master Honda tech, my brother is a Master GM tech. Both have started it is not a tire issue with the shudder, and appears to them to be transmission related. The lurch when explained to them - "Take it to the dealer because that is F'd up and needs to be looked at quickly."

My son stated that Hondas occasionally show up with shudder issues and only requires a minor tweak to reprogram the transmission. The lurch.... Big issue. Not safe and should not try to move the vehicle forward 3-5 inches under any circumstance.

If your wondering why I didn't purchase a Honda or GM product with both my brother and son being techs is because I love Toyotas and have been driving them for nearly 20 years. Worked at Wiese/ Carver Toyota / GM for most of my life until 2008. (I would never buy a GM product as they don't stand behind their vehicles quality)

Oh and no work or modifications of any kind have been done to the vehicle

Raytheeagle likes this.
  8. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    With that low of mileage, I would head to the dealer and see what they say.

Keep us posted(y).

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  9. Sean Nelson

Sean Nelson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    I've never had any sort of lurch while the car was in "Park". The only time I get something that might be described as a lurch is if forget to shift to "Park" after stopping the car and pulling on the parking brake. When I realize what I've done and shift from "D" to "Park" the car lurches a bit because in "D" with my foot off the brake pedal the car tires to creep forward, but it suddenly stops doing that when it's shifted into "Park".

The first thing I'd suspect if I had a shudder at certain high speeds is tire balance issues. If the tire is off balance and you hit a speed where it's rotating at it's resonant frequency then you can get some pretty bad vibration.

10. dubit

dubit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Got the car back from the dealership this afternoon. Unfortunately or Luckily (can't decide which) the tech wasn't able to duplicate the issue with the lurch while in park and the engine starts. Not even a code stored... As for the shudder, and ready light problem - nothing there either. Ready light came on every time for him and the shudder is barely even noticeable now since that high speed drive down the interstate.

Think I'll let my son drive it for a week or so and I'll borrow his Honda. See if he notices anything. (He's a Honda tech)

The tech who looked at my car today has been working on Toyota's for years. I worked with him for well over a decade. I trust him. If he didn't find anything, he's honest about it. As for the people at the dealership - great group of individuals. kudo's to all of them. Was nice running into so many old friends.

Montgomery and bisco like this.
  11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    baffling. hard to believe all those things you enumerated in your o/p could not be duplicated. i wonder if it's cold related.

12. dubit

dubit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    My guess as well. We'll see tomorrow - it's supposed to be a high 12 degrees here tomorrow morning.

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <snowflake>:eek:

14. Got2bHam

Got2bHam Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    sounds like all the issues may be related to the CVT transmission. I drive a 2012 Prius C and I haven't experienced any lurching or shuddering, it's very smooth. I would bet something is just a bit off and thats what is causing the lock out (no Ready displayed) when you go to leave. I imagine the CVT may need reprogramming or something to that nature. glad it's under warranty and I hope for the best for you.

15. dubit

dubit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    No codes showing up. Dealership didn't find any codes stored. I will say this hasn't been occurring anymore and hopefully it doesn't again.