1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius C Upgrades

Discussion in 'Prius c Accessories and Modifications' started by Shinee84, Mar 29, 2019.

1. Shinee84

Shinee84 New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Hi all,

I recently bought a used 2016 Prius C and was wondering if it was possible to have any off the following upgrades done. Anyone have any of these done? If so, are there pros/cons? Pricing? I don't want to do it myself. I'm hoping they are things you can just pay someone to do.

-Add push start
    -Upgrade to the touch screen with apps
    -Add alarm system
    -Add back up camera

LnG likes this.
  2. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Very difficult and expensive, but not impossible.

Very easy to replace the stock system with an aftermarket unit. Highly recommended. I did this myself on mine. Any average stereo shop could handle it.

Relatively easy, and you can spend as much or as little as you like. Lots to choose from.

Not hard. Get it done at the same time as the stereo/touchscreen for best results. Some cameras are very inexpensive now, but not all of them last out there in the weather.

G-Squared, michael.sfo and Shinee84 like this.
  3. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    None of those "upgrades" are easy or cheap.
    While it might be theoretically possible, it's a LONG way from practical.

If you REALLY want those features, start shopping for a trim level 3 or 4 that already has them.
    Note: A model with keyless start automatically also has an alarm system.

4. Shinee84

Shinee84 New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Do you know if you have to have the premium stereo/touchscreen in order for the backup camera to work?

5. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Not sure I understand the question- but if you replace the stereo with an aftermarket unit that has a rear-vision feature, it will work with almost any generic rear vision camera.

EDIT: adding details

I think your parts list at the custom stereo shop would look like this:

Stereo
    rear vision camera
    adapter box for steering wheel controls
    (minor bits of wire, fasteners & connectors)

Shinee84 likes this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats and welcome!
    add it all up, and compare to cost of trading to a model with those features/

7. Shinee84

Shinee84 New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks guys. I found a rearview camera and alarm system to buy plus a place that installs them for a seemingly reasonable price. I think I'll skip the touchscreen upgrade since I mostly wanted it for GPS but people seem to think its more glitchy than just using a phone. The push button probably isn't worth the effort since it was mostly for novelty.

PCSpaceShip and michael.sfo like this.
  8. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    We spent about $600 to do this project in ours. It would have cost us at least $2500 to switch up to a "four" trim with the better stereo, and let's face it... the Toyota Entune stereos aren't great. Our Sony with carplay & android auto is miles ahead of what Toyota still sells as premium.

Granted, our car already had a rear vision camera (2018 includes them) and I did the labor myself... but even if this is a $1000 project when paying somebody else to do it, you're not likely to beat that price by trading the whole car for a better one. In some states, taxes alone would eat that up. And you're still only getting a crummy Toyota system.

Shinee84 and bisco like this.
  9. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    IMO, aftermarket mod is almost always less expensive than higher trim purchase for most options. However, there are few options that aftermarket mod can not address, like "Push Start" OP wants to add. And aftermarket add-on may not look like OEM built-in, but so what most aftermarket add-on are far better functionally. That said, there are cases used higher trim car with a lot of OEM built-in options can be purchased cheaper than buying a lower trim used car and adding aftermarket units into it.

lablancjc likes this.
  10. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    That is absolutely NOT true with used cars.
    The premium price you pay for the extra accessories pretty much depreciates to nothing after a few years.

HappyPaul and michael.sfo like this.
  11. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, contrary to your opinion, an option like nav is much cheaper and better if you purchase aftermarket ones. Another simple example is a floor mat. You pay MSRP at a dealer for a new car option, but you can pick up exactly the same thing at a disctounted price if you buy after you purchase a car.

lablancjc and priustexasbob like this.
  12. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    And like all other generalities, that isn't universally true either.

Installing a new head unit or cruise control or push button ignition with alarm........is MUCH more complicated that installing new floor mats.

And if you pick the wrong people to do the work, you might end up with a BIG costly mess.

To each his own. But what is right for YOU might not be right for everybody.

priustexasbob likes this.
  13. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    As I already stated, " there are few options that aftermarket mod can not address". Some of the options you mentioned fall in that category. I would not try installing an aftermarket sunroof for example even if it is cheaper than OEM option.

lablancjc and michael.sfo like this.
  14. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    But to Sam's point, buying a 2012 with Sunroof and comparing it to a 2012 without... the gap is actually cheaper than having one installed. The depreciation does close the gap.

In regards to adding a push start on an ignition system... it's just not worth it, though there are some "mock" push buttons that are neat.

15. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    As I said, sunroof, push start and such options falls in my category of "few options that aftermarket mod can not address".

I also stated "there are cases used higher trim car with a lot of OEM built-in options can be purchased cheaper than buying a lower trim used car and adding aftermarket units into it." as you pointed out.

My points are for NEW car purchase with options/accessories that can be added later easily such as NAV, alarm system, Stereo system, Roof Rack, Optional alloy wheel and such, it is almost always less expensive to add them aftermarket.

#15 Salamander_King, Apr 1, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2019
    ztanos likes this.
  16. michael.sfo

michael.sfo Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I got a thing for like $10 that sticks into the CD slot to hold my iPhone, now my car has GPS nav!

PCSpaceShip, ztanos and dubit like this.
  17. Christophers

Christophers Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I actually have the upgraded navigation and it’s fine and I linked my beatsonic back up camera to it with no problems.

18. Max Taiwan

Max Taiwan Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Base
    20190422_000440.jpg Upgrade aftermarket radio system is relatively affordable. They are built to be nearly plug and play. I installed a 11 inch display with rear view camera for less then 600 dollars. Has navigation dash cam and reverse cam. It is also hooked up to the steering wheel control. Works perfectly! You can pick your navigation software. Bluetooth, Wi-Fi included.
    I would suggest it!