1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius C vs. Lexus CT200h?

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by 'wheels', Jan 21, 2017.

1. 'wheels'

'wheels' Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    What's up fellow C people..

I've owned my C for about 2.5 years now, bought brand new, and coming up on 85k miles (I drive a lot for work). It has been a great car, as expected, but these days I find myself craving something a little more "engaging". The weekends are usually spent in the mountains with some great driving roads, so I've gotten the itch for something a little more fun. I know the C is supposed to be more "sporty" than a standard lift back, which I think it is and I have also added a TRD rear sway bar, but I can't stop thinking about trading up to a CT200h F sport. Not to mention the luxury that comes with it. My question is, has anybody driven one of these, and are they THAT much more engaging to drive than a Prius C? Or would I be better off picking up a set of lightweight 16" wheels with some decent rubber?

FWIW, I've also looked into other cars like the Ford Fiesta ST, which is known for amazing handling and can be had for $20k brand new, but driving 35k miles per year I would have a hard time trusting something like that. I know the Toyota hybrid system is tried and true, just looking to get a little more out of the driving experience.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Having driven both a c and a CT200h, I would say, yes, the CT is more engaging to drive. The steering wheel has a quicker steering ratio and the suspension is more compliant.

This may be the CT's last year (it's probably going to be replaced by an SUV... most likely based off the CH-R) so if you want a small European-style hatchback, this is your last chance.

There's also the new Gen 4 Prius which is on an all-new platform and has the same double wishbone rear suspension as the CT200h. It definitely corners flatter than my Gen 3 (And it's a larger car than the CT).

I would take a 2016 Prius Three Touring out for a drive just to see how you like it. Compare that to the CT.

I will say though, the CT200h F Sport does look fantastic, especially in white with the contrasting black roof.

3. 'wheels'

'wheels' Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    i did hear rumors that this is the last year of the CT.. that's unfortunate. I know from what I read, independent car reviewers have always been kind of confused as to what kind of market the CT is aiming for, claiming it as just an "overpriced glorified Prius", but I don't see anything wrong with that if you are a fan of the Prius but want something a little extra.

I did forget to add that any future car I own HAS to be a hatchback for work purposes, so the Gen 4 prius is out of the question unfortunately. I will probably consider setting up an experimental test drive, I just want to know if it's even worth pursuing before going through the car salesman hassle :)

4. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Try the 2017 Prius. They added many standard safety features for 2017.

Tideland Prius likes this.
  5. bhtooefr

bhtooefr Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The Gen 4 liftback has plenty of space:

[​IMG]

Prodigyplace likes this.
  6. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Umm, the Gen 4 is a hatchback (of the liftback variety but still a hatchback) and can definitely carry for cargo than the c or the CT.

And this photo is with the spare tire. Models without a spare tire will be larger. (Floor drops another 1-2" I think?)

7. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    My wife moved from a BMW 325i to a CT200h. The BMW certainly had more power, but the handling/feel are similar. Part of owning a BMW is making friends with a variety of mechanics. The CT is more refined (hybrid design), just generally quiet competence. do not know about the C, but while you get into a Gen2 Prius, you put a CT on. Kinda wriggle into it.

8. tk1971

tk1971 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Had both. The CT was the first to go. Radio is like a 90's throw back. Driver's Seat was great though even though the rear seats were really cramped compared to the C. 4-5 mpg hit from the C on average. More of a cockpit feel so not as spacious of a feeling as in the C. Lower than the C so watch those driveways and bumps. Due to weight, slower than the lift back. Looks great though.

iPhone ?

9. 'wheels'

'wheels' Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for the reply.. any comments on handling between the two?

I'm still battling with this decision. I am still intrigued by the CT but I just can't decide if it's there's enough of a difference to justify a new (used) car loan. I guess a test drive would answer that question.

10. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The CT will handle much better than the Prius c. I've driven both and the CT is a joy to drive. The c is just a Prius :)

And again, you're comparing a Lexus to a Prius c. Yes I know it's not as luxury as other Lexus offerings but it is at least solidly built.

11. iamvietdang

iamvietdang Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    The CT is worlds different than the C! The C is more of a Yaris with the old 1NX-FXE (2nd gen Prius) engine just belt less. CT has the same engine as the 3rd gen Prius but also has a 'Sport' mode added to change the throttle response and steering ratio. The C has a rear torsion bar and the CT has multi link rear. Having driven both often, the C has more interior cargo space with the seats down.

But, if you're looking for the best tech and safety features, I think you should look into the 4th gen Prius. It's got the multi link suspension, lithium battery, more space than both the C and CT (the lift back is essentially a hatch), and is available with all the tech and safety features that Toyota/Lexus offers with their other vehicles. You can't even get BSM with the CT. And yes, the CT is being discontinued.

2016 Prius 4T Premium Convenience Pkg
    2016 NX200t F Sport

12. tk1971

tk1971 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Handling aside, the C has a 15.5 ft turn radius and 17.1 ft for the CT.

Go drive the CT and then decide. Switch it to Sport mode and watch the dash lighting turn red. You'll be hooked.

iPhone ?