1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius C vs Prius V

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by bostonbruins8703, Jun 27, 2019.

1. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    While we're at it, if you do check out a Four trim...

...be aware that it's available with two different sized wheels. The 15" wheels are common to the other trims. The optional 16" wheels required a change to the steering, and the result is that the car has a ridiculously wide turning radius.

If you need nimble city maneuverability, make sure it does not have the 16" wheels.

2. bostonbruins8703

bostonbruins8703 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    I know the eariler V models typically have issues with blown head gaskets and EGR valve clog ups around 150,000 miles. Have the C's had any known mechanical problems? rather it be head gaskets or other common problems. I've haven't really seen anything on the internet about common issues for the C's.

3. Gandolf989

Gandolf989 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I have the 2012 Prius V with almost 60,000 miles and my wife has the 2013 Prius C with less than 20,000 miles. I really like the Prius C. It handles well, has enough power for city driving, is easy to park. Probably would be easier to park with a backup camera. But it is generally a good car. We have on occasion taken my wife's car shopping and the space inside isn't great for that. In both cars if the front seat is moved back there isn't a lot of leg room in the back seat. But the V is definitely bigger. For generally driving around town, the C is great. If you want a car for shopping, camping, moving 5 adults, cargo, etc the V is significantly better.

4. bostonbruins8703

bostonbruins8703 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Thank you for the input everyone. That buddy of mine is still undecided at the moment. Like I said, I can only give him info the V has based on my own ownership. I knew very little about the C. Think I'll push him towards the V since now he's got a another member of the family on the way.

5. farmecologist

farmecologist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    It depends on your buddy's needs..because they are vastly different vehicles. The v (wagon) is the heaviest and largest in the Gen3 lineup...and can haul an amazing amount of cargo. The C is no pushover when it comes to cargo space either...but is a much, much smaller car.

bostonbruins8703 likes this.
  6. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    My opinion is slightly different.

My family is on our 4th Prius and we love them BUT.............
    I think that a used Prius of almost any age over 2 years, likely is NOT the best choice for someone on a limited budget; that is, will be taking out a loan for most of the cost.

There are a few other "high mileage" small cars out there that will get almost the same mileage in the hands of your average driver, will cost less to buy, and won't have the "automatic" large expense down the road of dealing with a failed hybrid battery.

A nice used Corolla or Kia or Hyundai might well be a better choice in purely economic terms.

OTOH, if you get a used Prius, pay it off in 3 or 4 years and then trade it in after 5 or 6 years.......a good case might be made for that too.
    MOST people won't enjoy getting one and trying to drive it for 10 more years and maybe over 200K miles.