1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius C won't start (mysterious problem)

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by kdfchannel, Mar 18, 2021.

1. kdfchannel

kdfchannel Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    ----USA----
    hello friends I have a bad feeling about this car I bought it 2 weeks ago I thought the battery pack was bad I fixed the battery so now I turn the ignition get the ready sign and the engine shakes like is falling apart lost of noises
    this is a YouTube video unfortunately somebody called me during the engine start and is kinda hard to appreciate but the noise is there. I feel like maybe there's no fuel pressure , where should I start diagnosing??

Attached Files:

2. topshot

topshot Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I'd have to think the engine light is on so get all the codes first (preferably using Toyota's Techstream software). How did you "fix" the "battery pack"? I'm assuming you mean the large traction battery rather than 12V. The traction battery is what starts the engine and it is clearly trying it seems. Sure doesn't sound good, but I'm not familiar with the specifics of the starting system on the Prius.

3. kdfchannel

kdfchannel Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Thanks for the reply , yes I fixed the traction battery I bought this car cheap because I thought that was the problem, so I fixed the battery installed it and now the car is doing this weird self destructive misfire, I've got to the conclusion that the battery was never bad the problem was the previous owner tried so much to turn the car that drained the traction battery now the question is what is wrong with the car.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    bad head gasket

5. kdfchannel

kdfchannel Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    ----USA----
    mister let me tell you, you know what you are talking about this morning I pulled the intake manifold and yes cilinder #1 full of water and #2 little water thanks for this reply. What would you recommend new engine 40k miles salvaged car of fix the head gasket ??

6. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Since you have the head off already, I'd be included to say give a new gasket a go.

Also, since you already have the head off, you might want to look at this thread and possibly search others like it here at Priuschat . EGR Maintenance | PriusChat

From what I've read about it the two are almost always related one two the other.

7. kdfchannel

kdfchannel Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Good to know thanks I definitely will take a look at the egr I think I'll buy the engine I got a deal for $350 and 6 month warranty I think this will be cheaper than doing the repair

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the only risk in replacing the head gasket is other engine damage. pistons, rods, crankshaft, warped head, etc.
    when you catch it early on your own car, new gasket no problem.