1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius C - Worn Keyfob/Remote Buttons -- Repair?

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by MannySwol, Feb 6, 2017.

1. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    BINGO.
    And the 12 V battery in a hybrid does NOT start the gas engine so the maximum load is a lot less.

2. Sean Nelson

Sean Nelson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    It's true that a simple open-circuit voltage test won't really test the ability of a battery to supply enough current to crank an engine. But that's much less of an issue in a Prius C where the battery doesn't have to do that. In a Prius C the battery merely needs to supply the small amount of current needed to keep the vehicle electronics alive while the car is turned off. As long as the voltage is adequate while the battery is connected to the car and the car is turned off, the electronics should be fine.

Where load tests of a Prius C battery may be of more value, IMHO, is to track battery performance over time so you can see if your battery is nearing the end of its service life.

Here's a link to the voltages that a healthy battery should put out: Car Battery Tester - How to Test a Car Battery

3. MannySwol

MannySwol Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    12v battery tested at 12.75V w/ vehicle off for 3 hours.

As a comparison, my Civic, which I purchased a Duralast Gold battery for several months ago, tested at 12.9V after being turned off a comparable amount of time.

4. MannySwol

MannySwol Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    So.. 12.75V w/ car off for 3 hours... 12.6V w/ car off for 18 hours. Ironically, the remote worked on the first try after 18 hours.. lol.

My almost new Civic battery was at 12.7V after being off for 18 hours.. guess my 12V in the Prius is still in really good shape.

5. MannySwol

MannySwol Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Closing the loop on this....

As I suspected, the issue was the keyfobs.. For whatever reason, they aged/wore to obsolence. Why mine turned to total crap, I have no idea.

Two Mini-VCI Cables (one I toasted in an attempt to update) and Three knock-off Chinese keys (two just would not program) later, I was able to produce a working keyfob and program it to my car w/ the Toyota Techstream software.

PS. Don't order from Ebay Seller 1haodian2013