1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius C / Yaris / Honda Jazz

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by rogan, Nov 13, 2014.

1. mahout

mahout Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    The Fit and Prius C are good the Yaris not so much because of driving while selecting stations etc. Owned all three tho I can't fault reliability of all of them. The Prius C is best on mpg.
    However, a better alternative may be the Nissan Leaf SL all electric car which I also own for Mon to Friday gofer duty. Outstanding, roomy, drives well but fidgeting not great either. The ability to drive into garage plug in and go about house duties is superb. And electricity costs a lot less than even $3 gas; reliability is also outstanding. And a lease is cheap. If you drive less than 65 miles per day, can't beat it.
    Better, no maintenance needed other than checking tire pressures but a 240v charging station is almost required but there are designated providers for the Bosch one.
    My Prissy has been relegated to weekend duty - and that is great. Lot less miles.

2. mahout

mahout Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    The Fit and Prius C are good the Yaris not so much because of driving while selecting stations etc. Owned all three tho I can't fault reliability of all of them. The Prius C is best on mpg.
    However, a better alternative may be the Nissan Leaf SL all electric car which I also own for Mon to Friday gofer duty. Outstanding, roomy, drives well but fidgeting not great either. The ability to drive into garage plug in and go about house duties is superb. And electricity costs a lot less than even $3 gas; reliability is also outstanding. And a lease is cheap. If you drive less than 65 miles per day, can't beat it.
    Better, no maintenance needed other than checking tire pressures but a 240v charging station is almost required but there are designated providers for the Bosch one.
    My Prissy has been relegated to weekend duty - and that is great. Lot less miles.

3. mahout

mahout Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two

4. mahout

mahout Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two

5. mahout

mahout Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    The Prius C is most econical but having all 3 here I think she needs to try them for entrance and exit. I can't tell the difference.
    However, I do offer another choice: Nissan Leaf SL. all electric so no maintenance and driving into the garage and plugging in and go about house dutuies. If she drives lrss than 65 miles per day or away from home can't be beat, even if the gas is less than $3 a gallon. Plud its roomier and a little higher off the groundso enter and exit is better for me and Im 77.

6. mahout

mahout Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    The Prius C is most econical but having all 3 here I think she needs to try them for entrance and exit. I can't tell the difference.
    However, I do offer another choice: Nissan Leaf SL. all electric so no maintenance and driving into the garage and plugging in and go about house dutuies. If she drives lrss than 65 miles per day or away from home can't be beat, even if the gas is less than $3 a gallon. Plud its roomier and a little higher off the groundso enter and exit is better for me and Im 77.

7. mahout

mahout Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    However, I do offer another choice: Nissan Leaf SL. all electric so no maintenance and driving into the garage and plugging in and go about house dutuies. If she drives lrss than 65 miles per day or away from home can't be beat, even if the gas is less than $3 a gallon. Plud its roomier and a little higher off the groundso enter and exit is better for me and I'm 77.

8. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Mahout... STAHP!

9. mahout

mahout Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    And the Leaf is a lot more roomy and as its a little higher off the ground, its easier for me to enter and exit - and I'm 77 too.

10. mahout

mahout Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    so is the Leaf

11. rogan

rogan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the good advice but the leaf is a no-go.
    Firstly it's been a stretch getting her to consider a Prius. Being old and opinionated means that electric power is devil spawn and can not be trusted, so she's never going to embrace all electric and even if she did, the first time something went wrong with it guess who's fault it would be?
    2nd it's not a Toyota, I've pushed my luck and got her into the Honda yard. If I try another off brand I'm likely to be dis-inherited.

12. blhvet

blhvet New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    I owned a 2007 Yaris (loved that car!) and now have the Prius c. While the dimensions aren't supposed to be that different, both myself and my mobility-limited 80 year old mom found the Yaris easier to get in and out of. The c seems to sit lower and even though I'm only 5'4", I seem to always be tapping my head when I get in. My sister-in-law has a 2008 Yaris, and when the Yaris and c are side by side, the Yaris is definitely taller. The new Yarises (Yarii?!) may be different.

13. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Does your C have a sunroof? The sunroof's drop the ceiling height.

14. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    The comparison is between different generations

15. rogan

rogan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I had the new yaris and C side by side on the dealer yard. The Yaris has a slightly higher roofline.

To compound our problem is Toyota NZ's pricing and supply model. Each toyota dealership is independent: they buy the cars from Toyota NZ and sell them on. They also offer big discounts. My boss has just bought a Camry Hybrid and discount is around 25-30% as her husband works for a medium sized company who lease their fleet from toyota. Compare that to say Honda NZ who don't chase fleet sales, and where each dealership orders the cars from Honda NZ after they're bought. It explains why the Toyotas are so far behind Honda in spec at each retail pricepoint, and also expalins why Toyotas depreciate by 60% in 3 years.

I had a very quick look at the Corolla GLX which is NZ$10,000 (US$8,500) more than the Jazz RS, and I prefer the Jazz. I'm thinking mum will prefer the Corolla though, purely on the Toyota badge.