1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius - Cabin Filter Button

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by StephenBA, Jul 9, 2018.

1. StephenBA

StephenBA Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Before we get started, I'm talking about this:

[​IMG]

My button stopped working. Normally I would press it, the light would come on, the fan speed would change, and the stinky smell I was avoiding would disappear. No longer.

Any ideas what's up? I tried changing the cabin filter but no improvement. I tried scanning for codes, and no codes.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    none. don't recall seeing this problem before. i suppose you will have to check the service manual to see how it comes apart, and see if the contacts are clean, wires connected, etc.
    if all is good there, it would be the servo motor or stuck flap. not sure how it works exactly, but it closes off outside air 100%.
    and there is a timer, so probably a pc board.

StephenBA likes this.
  3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Could be a wire (which may not trigger codes... something similar happened to our 2002 Camry).

Not many people have posted issues with this feature (Mine still works)

StephenBA likes this.
  4. StephenBA

StephenBA Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I happened to have a spare AC / temperature control unit, which I replaced this morning. The replacement works fine, so I'm about to do a postmortem on the old unit to see why the button doesn't work.

If anyone is interested in swapping their Celsius control unit for my Fahrenheit unit let me know. I would be interested to see if the prius retains the "Celsius" reading or switches to Fahrenheit.

e: Turns out the button itself is broken. Easy enough to fix :) if anyone is trying to find matching buttons they're called "6*6*5mm SMD Silent Switch" and are readily available on AliExpress.

#4 StephenBA, Jul 10, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
    Tideland Prius and bisco like this.