1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Campaign - Early Returns

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Prius Team, Jun 22, 2009.

1. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Let's be honest about mainstream 'green' in the US: it means "I want to pollute less IF it does not cost me money, convenience, or appeal." I think this is the rather obvious demographic Toyota is massaging.

Men with masculinity image problems have to fend for themselves, at least for now. And probably in the future too, since as best I can tell, a 'manly' car has a long hood and a big engine -- neither coming to Prius anytime soon if ever.

2. Notinarush

Notinarush Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I don't think the commercials meet a key criteria of good advertising. They are not memorable. As an example, I told my brother who watches a lot of television that I had purchased the new model Prius. He replied quizzically, "Prius has a new model out?" If I hadn't been an interested buyer, I don't think I would have noticed them much.

The Southwest and VW commercials are memorable. The Prius ones not so much.

3. nparker13

nparker13 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Agreed. Forget about men, women purchase 65% of all new cars anyway.

4. Prius Team

Prius Team Toyota Marketing USA

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Wow, looks like I've got a lot of people to respond to.

WARNING - THIS IS SUPER LONG.

Here goes:

Fantastic questions. These are the next pieces of data that will start coming in. We'll share with you what we can. We're hopeful, but the jury is still out.

That's why we have a multi-media strategy. While TV may be the most visually obvious part of the campaign, we're marketing Prius in many other channels - print, out-of-home, events, and most importantly, online. Be it banner ads, home-page takeovers, or just me talking with PCers, there's many other ways of reaching people than just TV. We would NEVER just do TV for a launch. The goal of TV is to catch attention and drive someone to look for more information.

I'll use this quote as the summary of a lot of other posters: Toyota should focus less on Prius' green credentials and talk about its great value, high fuel economy, big space, great flexibility, etc.

My response is this. WE DO. Seriously, we do. It's just not expressed so vividly in the TV spots - it's in the other media channels. Why not? Many reasons:
    • A good TV spot should have ONE message. That's one, as in singular. Not four, not three, not even two. One. That's all people can absorb from 30 seconds, if they absorb anything at all. Don't dilute your message.
    • EVERY CAR TV spot on the air talks about these same characteristics. Do you think anyone would pay attention if we had the same diluted message with frequently seen footage? You need very strong creative to get people to stand up and even say, "oh look at that", for better or worse.
    • There are key messages that simply are not meant for a Prius launch spot. First is size.... you cannot accurately convey the amazing size of Prius in any medium EXCEPT live demonstrations. It's not possible - size is experienced best at our engagement marketing events or at the dealership, period. Second, it doesn't make sense for us to launch with a price in the TV spot. (There's two great reasons - you can figure that one out.) But price is easily accessible on Toyota.com or numerous other places. We don't need it in the spot.
    Ah, stereotypes. I have to admit, it's the PC'ers worst nightmare... you're labeled and mocked and cast into a corner with a green dunce cap. It's only right to want to rebel against the tormentors.

I understand your pain, but know this: The amount of antagonism you, our fearless Prius champions, receive is hugely outsized compared to the actual number of Prius haters. I know it doesn't SEEM that way from your lens, but it's true. I have a ton of data to show that the large majority of people - especially people who would consider buying a small or midsize car - have a very high opinion of Prius overall. You guys just are attuned to the crowd that wants the Prius to go away.

Which leads to the next comment...

The answer is: all "greens" know about the Prius. We're not targeting them. You may interpret the ads to think that we are, but we're not. The likeability of the ads is one indication - the sample from IAG is a national sample, so it includes all sorts of people who watch TV. That indicates "mainstream" appeal, which is our intent all along.

Let me reintroduce the Prius-interest scale. Let's call it the Prius Interest Rating Quotient (PIRQ). (I just made it up the name - I can't help it, I'm in marketing.) The PIRQ is an indication of a person's interest in Prius overall on a scale of 1-100, where 1 is a Prius hater, and 100 is Tideland Prius. It's a nice simplification of this discussion (though keep in mind it ain't like this in real life).

The 2nd Gen, say, had the capability to attract scores in the 90-100 range. The 3rd Gen, however, with its improved looks and capability, has the capability to attract those in the 80-100 range. THAT'S DOUBLE THE SALES POTENTIAL. The "new" 80-90 range folks are our target for the campaign. Not bleeding edge, not super green, but interested in sustainable purchases and wanting to make the smart choice - this is our "target mainstream".

But there's another effect. There is a PIRQ bell curve in the population, where the peak is somewhere in the middle. But it's not a static peak. Due to increased interest in sustainability, and more experience with Prius and hybrids in general, the PEAK IS MOVING. It's not at 50 anymore, it's probably more like at 60 or above. SO, the leading edge of this wave is increasing - there are more people in the 80-90 range than there used to be. So we have even more opportunity to attract buyers.

The corollary is there will ALWAYS be people in the 1-10 range that shout so much, it FEELS like the hatred is mostly coming from the middle. That's why the Prius defenders feel under siege. But it's not the middle that you should worry about - for the most part, those people have positive interest. Not so much that they would consider buying one now, but they aren't haters.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

I almost didn't want to respond to this for fear of thread-drift (but then I remembered this is PriusChat... lol). In an ideal world, we would have exactly the right amount of cars, in the right configuration, in the right colors, at the right place, at the right time. We do our very best to manage that, but it's an elusive goal. I can tell you our regional orders are now adjusting to the feedback from their dealers, and the right quantities are getting ordered according to demand. It will take a while for that production to get here, but it eventually will. (For the record, taking advertising off the air that generates demand is something few companies, including Toyota, are want to do. The better solution is to build more.)

Whew. Comments welcome.

Doug Coleman
    Prius Product Manager
    Toyota Motor Sales, USA

9 people like this.
  5. steve44

steve44 New Member

Model:
    II
    Thanks Prius Team. I understand your stance. However, you shouldn't have to defend your ads, what you meant to do, or what your statement in newspapers and tv spots means to people. No matter who's fault it is, if the ads don't get into peoples heads the first time, it's not going to work when you're team of...even 1,000 people follows up on those ads in online forums (for example) with..."this is what the ad should mean to you" You've heard just a fraction of a fraction of a percent of people that stated some concerns on this forum. Obviously a horrible sample size. But maybe marketing needs to look into what people think after an ad and not what they should get out of an ad. Does that make sense? I'm not sure as I rambled for most of it.

6. OZ132

OZ132 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The ads are great!!!!
    But you could add humor. Like, A Hummer blows by a Prius on the highway at 80mph. Then the Prius overtakes the Hummer, on the side of the road, with its driver counting money in his wallet as he walks down the highway with a gas can in hand...

7. Lafferty

Lafferty Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Doug,

What I don't understand is why your team didn't hire an agency to create spots targeted for males. Was it because of your budget, or did you not want to confuse viewers with multiple messages?

I'm just confused because I feel you had the perfect opportunity to reach males during the "Toyota Halftime Show" in the NBA Playoffs & Finals. You had the chance to make the Gen III appeal to regular guys that were likely put off by the Wizard of Oz spots. It's just not our thing, ya know? We're more into Bossdowners Blue Man Group video or the Japanese Superman spots. Spots that show off how cool the Gen III is.

I originally thought the Wizard of Oz ads were only going to be in female heavy programs like House & Castle, but then when I saw them in various sporting events and shows like Family Guy, I felt that was being inefficient.

That said, I do like the banner ads that I've seen. Just wish I didn't have to look at the "Butterfly Approved" copy on the billboard on the 405.

1 person likes this.
  8. Prius Team

Prius Team Toyota Marketing USA

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    There once was a day when you had to appeal to men because, the theory went, women would buy a man's car, but men wouldn't buy a woman's car. That saying is really not that useful anymore, especially for Prius.

This is going to sound "artificially enlightened", but the truth of the matter is that segmenting by "male vs female" is not very useful for marketing for Prius and hybrids. It's a bogey variable with not too much predictive capability. It's far more important to understand what's inside their mind, regardless of gender (i.e., their PIRQ score as a proxy for their values, attitudes, and behaviors). There are both men and women out there with high and low PIRQ scores. And of the men with the kind of score we're after (80+), they generally are not influenced too much by the negative stereotypes (crunchy, tree-hugger, etc etc).

That said, another poster is right... vehicle purchases are dominated by women, increasingly so. From a sales perspective, hard to argue against marketing to women.

Doug Coleman
    Prius Product Manager
    Toyota Motor Sales, USA

1 person likes this.
  9. EZW1

EZW1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Hey Prius Team: Unless there is a legal precidence, you should run the Blue Man Group ad. It is attractive, funny, contains someone nearly everyone knows, doesn't go overboard with the 'green' concept. My money is on sales jumping as an after affect.

10. MaggieMay

MaggieMay Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thank you Doug. You really are brilliant!! ;) Actually I am that 80+ PIRQ person who has not previously driven a Prius. I got here before the ads broke, but I get it. The ads would make me curious and look for more info. They are completely different from all the auto-clutter out there. The success will be in the sales - and that's too early to tell.

11. nparker13

nparker13 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V

Doug/Prius Team,

I understand your perspective much better now, and come to think of it, the biggest contact point for me other than the dealer was the YouTube videos. As a 23 y/o male, I care more about the technology in my car than the fuel economy (not that it doesnt help/hurt my descn). For me, TV is the last place I'd see your commercial (someone like me interested in the tech probably uses Tivo). The medium that affected me the most was the YouTube channel that let me see at the most granular level the features/tech in the car. I found it helpful and nice to see spotlights of each component of the car (whereas some car companies just have a text description of the feature).

In terms of the demographics for the commercials, the numbers dont lie (hopefully), so congratulations on topping the list. It will always be a challenge to get over that 10-20 range on the PIRQ, however (it might be my male insecurity talking :rolleyes: ) but I still think it would be nice to have less of the 'wonderland' feeling when watching the commercial. It doesnt have to be something male dominated like big fast cars, guns, or women, but IMO it falls outside of 'my bellcurve for prius interest'.

That being said, I'm waiting for mine to be delivered, and you bet I'll tell all my friends about it (even with all that pent up male insecurity).

Keep up the great marketing effort, it's rare to find companies that reach out to this level of their customer base (the early adopters/bleeding edge are the ones who will talk if they're happy).

Nate

12. dbacksfan

dbacksfan Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Doug,
    Are you seeing signinficant differences across different regions in the US? And do you plan on varying your messaging by region?

I'm interested, as I just don't see that many Prii, of any generation, here in the Phoenix area, especially compared to northern California.

My sales manager told me that the Prius is very popular amongst seniors. Here in the valley, we have several large communities that service that group that perhaps would be responsive to a "neighbor showing".

BTW, I just got a letter from my dealer notifying that I'd be contacted by Toyota to rate my recent buying experience. I hope they use the opportunity to ask PIRQ-related questions.

13. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I don't think that's true. People here have suggested several ways (with and without humor) to illustrate things like size (haybales) and handling, etc. Even the sunroof feature could have been made much more clear with an ad showing one person getting in a HOT seat and the Prius owner getting into their cool car. There could have been a whole series of single issue (one feature) ads.

Even if these ads aren't over emphasizing greenness (really?), they are definitely in the cutsie-wootsie category, which may not appeal to a large chunk of your 80-100 PIRQ target. You don't really even get a good view of the car in these ads, since it's so small and there are so many other competing visuals. Did you consider a GEICO shotgun approach, with multiple styles of ads?

1 person likes this.
  14. Jared

Jared Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have a fantastic idea for a Prius ad campaign, which I am willing to divulge as soon as I receive a check for $100,000 and a complimentary model V Prius.

15. nparker13

nparker13 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Okay, we'll need your bank account number for wire transfer, and address for delivery. Also your social security number to ensure your identity </kidding>

16. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow, I simply must respond. Label me a malcontent or whatever you like but I strongly disagree with so many points. I don't even have time to address them all.

#1: " A good TV spot should have ONE message. That's one, as in singular. Not four, not three, not even two. One. That's all people can absorb from 30 seconds, if they absorb anything at all. Don't dilute your message. "

In my opinion this is just entirely flawed thinking. You obviously don't want to throw a Spec Sheet at consumers as a 30 second Ad but you can communicate more than one message or idea within a commercial and infact I think you should. Debate the dumbing down of Americans but we are fantastically trained media consumers, we can absorb more than one message at a time.

I would argue that the ads that are currently running, while tone is clearly supportive of the tagline idea, Harmony between Man, Nature and Machine, the voice over advances the idea of useability. That's more than one message. Just different ways of communicating within the same spot.

Should we disect your competitors ads? The Insight Beach Ad, communicates several messages within one short 30 second piece. The Tagline "The Hybrid for Everyone" communicates being green, through simple use of the term Hybrid...for everyone communicates inclusive mainstream appeal.

Furthermore the imagery, a entire beach full of Insights conveys mainstream popularity, Families unloading themselves from the vehicles along with beach equipment conveys utilitarian aspects of the vehicle.

My point? Several messages...one Ad. It's just how you do it.

There are key messages that simply are not meant for a Prius launch spot. First is size.... you cannot accurately convey the amazing size of Prius in any medium EXCEPT live demonstrations. It's not possible - size is experienced best at our engagement marketing events or at the dealership, period. Second, it doesn't make sense for us to launch with a price in the TV spot. (There's two great reasons - you can figure that one out.) But price is easily accessible on Toyota.com or numerous other places. We don't need it in the spot.

What? Are you kidding me? You cannot accurately convey the amazing size of Prius in any medium EXCEPT live demonstrations? Again, I just totally disagree. Trust me, I'm NOT a plant from Honda Corp, but simply look at how Honda advertises the idea that the Fit is "roomy" and has storage capability. Roominess and Size are easily and definently concepts that can be conveyed outside of Live Demonstrations. We aren't selling Ginsu Knives here.

You can debate the wisdom of making it part of a launch campaign, but since Toyota I think has made sacrifices to keep the new Prius competitive in price with Honda's Insight, why NOT use price? I think the entry Prius is a fantastic value, why hide it? If it's because of fear of a direct comparison, I think most consumers once actually comparing vehicles should be able to figure out which is really the best value, and IMO that is easily The Prius. This is However simply my opinion and I can see an arguement for not presenting entry price.... I just don't think that arguement is a good one.

I know I am sounding and perhaps being inflamatory. I would like to say as long as I have lurked, watched and been part of Prius Chat, I have appreciated the input from fellow posters and Prius Team USA. Having a direct line, and actual communication from Doug Coleman and the entire Prius team is a fantastic resource and a plus for Prius Owners and conversely I'm sure Toyota benefits from the direct communication in return, both positive and negative.

I hope this would be taken in the spirit I mean it to be taken which would be sitting at a table and in a friendly manner debating conceptual ideas.

I really am a fan of Prius, and I respect that Toyota is willing to put themselves out there and take not only the Kudos, but also the heat.

2 people like this.
  17. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    The_electric_me,
    I don't think you are coming off adversarial at all.

One of the most memorable, and in my mind enjoyable, car ads of all time was a picture of a Honda Fit with a sheep in the middle compartment sticking it's head out hte window. I think I saw it in a European brochure. I laughed out loud, and for a couple of weeks afterwards showed it to anybody who I thought would find it funny or was interested in the Fit. Fwiw, I rather obviously think the interior space ergonomics of the Fit are the best designed. ever. The advert just complemented my opinion.

One of Doug's comments has an interesting corollary. He mentioned that males with high PIRQs tend to not being swayed much by negative stereotypes. I think he is right, but it also probably means they are not much swayed by advertising in general. It was certainly true for me; in fact I used to be quite proud of the fact that my car received so little 'mainstream' advertising dollars. It matched my image of myself, of buying by merit and not some silly brand stereotype. Irony, eh ?

1 person likes this.
  18. basspro

basspro New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    First congrads guys on the success of the ads, however, I have different take on the 2010 Prius. I am a male in my 40's that have driven BMW, Infiniti, and Acura's in the past. I too had to adjust to the fact of what will my peers or the opposit sex's percetion will be? However, having a very solid self confidence, I got over it quickly. Now having owned my 2010 Prius for about two weeks, I am really loving this car, first for all the reason that I purchase it for: great gas milage (45 MPG on first tank, working on over 50MPG current tank), comfortable, good size (able to fit a over size gas grill from Costco), quite, and pretty cool looking.

Now my delemma, knowing how great this car can become, I really don't want to see one on every block or seeing it all over the place, which will make me owning a car that may become a camry or accord :(

I guess the one bright spot will be for me to drive my Cayman S, on that day of the week that I feel the need to burn some gas and rush of taking that S curve at 80 mile per hour instead of 60 MPG!:rockon:

19. Codyroo

Codyroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You know what, I think you have hit on something here. Picture the wizard flying away in his balloon, and Dorothy wondering how she'll get home now. Glenda comes down, Dorothy clicks her heels together 3 times and gets a Barcelona Red Prius. And at 50 mpg, she reach Kansas on a single tank (display range of tank).

Another commercial can show a HUMMER crushing the wicked witch of the west. Dorothy gets into a ruby red Prius and "follows the yellow brick road" to the emerald city (at 50 mpg). Colorful munchkins waving along the way.

If you are going to put colorful munchkins in the commercials, put the commercials in a frame of reference Americans can understand and sympathize with. We all know it is a long journey to the Emerald City or to Kansas. The prius would be a great vehicle to get us there.

20. Jared

Jared Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Codyroo:

Unbelievable! That was my idea. Your check is in the mail.