1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Campaign - Early Returns

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Prius Team, Jun 22, 2009.

1. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    lol!! wonder how many here are giving the congrats that were also the same ones saying how much they could not stand them... top 2 of 3, not bad, not bad

2. Prius Team

Prius Team Toyota Marketing USA

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The Electric Me - I really appreciate the dialogue. Your comments are completely taken in the spirit of lively debate, and I don't feel you're attacking me/us at all. Thanks!

We have fantastically trained filters. We are able to block out miscellaneous information, and too many messages at the same time are more likely to be blocked out by the filter. If our interest is piqued, then yes, we can focus on and process many messages. But you have to pique that interest first, and I stand by the argument that one, simple message is the best way to accomplish that in a TV spot.

Frankly, I don't think either the Prius spot or the Insight spot really achieved this one-message goal. It's too tempting to want to put in additional messages - we call it message creep. Still, I think both got their message across (Prius Harmony = 3rd Gen Prius is here; Insight Beach = Car is for everyone). You are also inferring messages that are not the direct point of the ad.

Ok, I agree I got carried away. It can be communicated, but its very, very tough - and not necessarily a good use of ad space. And I'm not talking about for any vehicle (e.g. Fit), I'm talking about for Prius. The reason is that the proportions of the Prius make it look very small from the outside. Add to that the reinforced perception that it's small... well, it's like telling someone water isn't wet. You're telling them something that goes against what their senses are telling them. By far the best way to overcome this is through those very senses... touch, feel, and the sense of space. In our experience, getting them in the car is a far better way. (I know you're all familiar with this... your friend says "wow, there's so much space in here. I had no idea." That's when you know you got 'em!)

Keep 'em coming.

Doug Coleman
    Prius Product Manager
    Toyota Motor Sales, USA

1 person likes this.
  3. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    As always thank you for the updates and information Doug.

I did not expect the commercials to be so well received. While I really enjoyed them I am part of that demographic that everyone loves to rail on, I love the Prius and I work in the environmental science field so I was geared to love the commercials. :)

On a side note, I took a group of 18yr old "kids" out on a tour of one of our nature preserves today and it was interesting to hear their hushed talk about how cool it was that a land manager was driving a Prius into this field (off road) and they definately got a kick out of the tricked out stereo. Seems even youngsters from the wrong side of the tracks like the Prius. ;)

4. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Prius Team,

This is a powerful thread,. Thank you for sharing your insider
    information with us.

FWIW, here's a post that I wrote back on May 20, in response to a
    different thread, but didn't post as I wasn't sure it would get to my
    intended audience; you guys and gals.

So, here it is, both barrels, unedited:

I too don't get the new commercials. Maybe it's just that I'm out of
    touch with... whom?

I don't get whom is the target audience, airheads, eco-hippies,
    Youtube junkies?

OK, I'm older looking at retirement and a fixed income in say five
    years -- greatly reduced as of late -- but what is this, a Yellow
    Submarine reprise? Or worse yet, The swimming woman, Buster
    Crabbe and a cast of hundreds in a pool... the ultimate realization
    of Mickey Rooney and Judy Garland's "Let's do a play!"... the
    standard depression-era warm and fuzzy soporific.
    I have two kids; daughter, age 33, married 1 child, CPA and securities
    analyst. This type of "Everything is beautiful, in it's own way" ad is
    meaningless to her. What is the bottom line, what are the alleged
    benefits and technological goodies clearly demonstrated.

Son, age 30, unmarried, surveyor -- something in the way of satellite
    photo data analyst, outdoors person living in the Appalachians, hiker,
    white water canoeist, etc. To him all this gushy "We are the world"
    stuff is just a convenient fiction. Out in the world he sees, pollution
    laws and other protection measures seem to be more often broken than
    enforced. Big companies tear into the earth like carrion eaters,
    individuals trash rivers and forests with mindless abandon.

Both my kids bought "new" used cars in the past year. Explorer to
    Outback, Tacoma to Vibe. In each case looking for better mileage on a
    budget. They are correct in saying that they downsized, actual physical
    size. I say they up-sized their MPGs and money not spent.

Are these two 30-somethings typical? I don't know. I do know the
    current Prius ad campaign doesn't impress them one whit. Cute? Yes.
    Effective? No.

These are but two of the new Prius buyers of the future. You have to
    do a whole lot better to reach the market share like them. I'm working
    on them, you have to step it up and reach all the others.

One man's opinion.

Rokeby

5. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I now realize the brilliance of these memorable ads. The timing couldn't be better because once the gas price goes up, many people will remember that "new Prius" ad with a catchy tune, 50 MPG and the "harmony between man, nature and machine" advertising slogan.

When they research into the Prius, they will go wow and buy it in a heartbeat!

6. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Think advertising on TV should carry more than one message, think about this.

Things go better with Coca Cola
    The burgers are better at Burger King (Hungry Jacks in Australia)
    Zoom zoom
    Have you driven a Ford lately?
    Football, apple pies, (something patriotic here), and Chevrolet. In Oz it was Football, meat pies, kangaroos, and Holden cars.
    Toyota had the "bugga" ad campaign here which hasn't been aired in years but everyone remembers it.

OK, now read the above, add to the list if you like, but tell me the other messages that went with each of these ad themes.

7. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I searched for my favorite memorable Prius commercial for the Iconic model. Interestingly, it has the same "The new Prius is here" message. Was the Prius Team behind the Moving Forward ad as well?

8. Randall Rash

Randall Rash Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Whether you "like" the new commercials or not, you have to admit they are MUCH less ANNOYING than most car commercials so people will be less likely to switch channels, and are thus exposed to the item being sold.

9. Tech_Guy

Tech_Guy Class Clown

Silicon Valley, CA --- Land of Fruits & Nuts
    Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Now that commercial really rocks!!!!

A lot of subliminal messages in one commercial. It is just as relevant today as when the original commercial was released. Why not take the original footage and substitute a 2010 dressed in Blizzard Pearl and play that on TV?

Keith

10. geeky teacher

geeky teacher New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    As a Prius enthusiast I am pleased that the TV commercial was so well liked by such a wide audience. I hope the campaign becomes one of the most memorable, given time.

Here are some of the car commercials that I easily recall with a positive attitude.
    "Zoom, Zoom!" -MaZda
    "Baseball, hot dogs, apple pie and Chevrolet" -jingle played incessantly on the radio during every Cubs game for at least one season
    "Oh what a feeling, [jump up and click heels], Toyota!" -fun to imitate

Do any of these say anything specific about the cars' features? (I suppose you could argue "American" is a "feature".) These commercials are good at creating a positive emotional connection with a product that encourages interest and desire. If you want to appeal to a wide audience, make it a generalized feeling and play it all over, frequently. If you want to appeal to a specific group of people, narrow the focus of the commercial to a specific feature and play it to target audiences. It makes sense to give consumers good vibes about a product, then use a variety of specific ads to attract the various groups that place a different value on each of the features. I think the initial Harmony commercial is attempting to appeal to the wider audience first, priming them for the more feature specific commercials that are being released in the series.

By the way, I wonder which demographic group thinks the the Harmony ads appeal only to women over 60? I've polled my teen age students and both male and female students between the ages of 13 and 16 liked them.

KUDOS to Doug and the team! I continue to look forward to future releases in the series. Will there be one that places high emphasis on safety features? That's a high priority for the women that I know are over 60.

11. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    ah ya, i loved that commercial especially the play on the "Neil Armstrong moon walk" quote...

but i kinda laughed at the line "its finally here" especially since i had been driving my Tidelands for 8 months. what they should have said is "we have finally increased production enough to reduce the wait times to less than 2 months"

12. martinw

martinw New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Referring back to the original post in this thread, I found it entertaining that in order to watch the Prius ad that came top in the poll you actually have to view another ad first. I guess it isn't called Advertising Age for nothing.

13. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm thinking Arby's (north american fast food chain)

14. Jared

Jared Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If this ad had been done using computer-generated images in a Busby Berkeley style, with lots of geometric patterns - Priuses rotating like flower petals, etc, I would have liked it. That would have been both high tech and artistic. I do not like using real people in green leotards. That just says muchkinland to me. Even if the real people had been used to generated Berkeley-type patterns, that would have been better. I really dislike people forming human pyramids. To me, it says "cluttered" and "amateurish".

15. CAR4TWO

CAR4TWO New Member

Model:
    III
    Well, one thing for sure. You made the Bellamy Brothers VERY happy!

Nice ad!

Dan

16. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    No no no! Not THAT vid! THIS one! :D

ps. I honestly believe twenty years from now you'll still be able to find the 2010 Prius ads on the internet somewhere. That is to say, they'll withstand the test of time.

2 people like this.
  17. Jared

Jared Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    "they'll withstand the test of time"

I've forgotten them already.

18. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    As my zoology professor was fond of saying, "the memory is always the second thing to go.". Good thing there are all kinds of meds available for ya mate. lol

19. MaggieMay

MaggieMay Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    LOL! Yeah - the 70's were the bottom of the fashion barrel and close to the bottom of the music barrel too! Holy cow. They play acoustic guitars - remember those? :D

20. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

As much as I like the Bellamy Brothers, that was a horrible video. The way the lip synced and didn't even attempt to play the non-chord parts of the song. They just kept strumming even during the guitar picking parts. lol