1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius campermobile

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by tedjohnson, Jun 24, 2012.

1. WNY-HYBRID

WNY-HYBRID Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I love backpacking, but my wife has (in remission!) leukemia and she's weak. This is a nice setup to go out and tent camp with climate control :)

2. tankyuong

tankyuong Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    what about carbon
    monoxide entering the tent

3. MarcSmith

MarcSmith Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It will help you sleep real soundly... :)

markabele likes this.
  4. cdltpx

cdltpx Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have a tow hitch on my 07 paid $75 for it used and had it installed for $150. I bought a new $1.8K cargo trailer it is tall is 8x10 V nosed towed it from Ga to Louisiana empty and it was a task for the car at highway speed it burned oil in the process in parking lots you hardly know it is back there light trailer. My MPG dropped to 20 mpg 70 mph but over all that is not too bad considering that is the national average of most cars on the road today? My plan is to use this for hurricane evac so I can carry my extras usually evac is a slow speed crawl with 45 top speed until you get out the zone where you can do 55. I usually don't go further than 400 miles to evacuate. I am told it is not wise to tow so I will not do it unless I have to might take it camping maybe 60 miles down the road but outside that platform use only. I like the picture the guy has of the teardrop the trailer he has is nearer the roof height of the car and should not be such a drag to the system.
    I also bought a platform $80 walmart that does not affect the MPG of the car I can use the platform for smelly cargo or for gas I can tote a few months fuel home one trip very useful for storms. I have brought home a very large TV on the platform it does scratch the ground in some driveways but as long as you watch what you are doing you should not have issue besides scratching the ground causes no damage just sounds bad but no big deal IMHO.
    My car is OUT OF WARRANTY so I am not worried about that aspect of it. Yet to carry a load with the thing but I can get a generator and insulate it and have a great place to sleep. As for heat I would use propane with carbon monoxide detector for safety. I also would outfit the trailer with the most powerful solar panel I could fit on the roof with batteries stored in a vented box. As for water I would carry my water in gallons and 2 liter bottles in ice chest. I have plenty ice chest since I pick them up when I find them beside the road. People are lazy will put seafood in them and not want to clean them I dump them out place them on my tailgate platform get them home and soak them in bleach I have plenty of ice chest thanks to the lazy people.
    Why both generator and solar we live in the South our high today will be 94 degrees that is no joke with 90 % humudity. Well an AC requires over 1200 watts of power a decent microwave oven will require 1100 watts of power you can use the generator to both top off batteries and cool your space. That generator should run a gallon for 8 hours of service when on the road I usually sleep 6 hours 8 tops ideal to get rest. Even at $4 a gallon it is worth it to set this up done right nobody has to know you are in the camper. If you have the platform set right you can run an AC in the Prius and save your gas it all depends how long you plan to do this if just a vacation I would just use the car for a generator but if you plan to live out your car you want to get a generator on the platform and have it hidden and sound proofed best you can. Sure you can't power both MWO and AC with a 2K generator but you can power one at a time and get your work done. Not like you are cooking turkeys with the MWO you just want to heat a TV dinner and get on with AC cooling. Fans and TV can run on 12 V power it would be wise to have propane for your refrigerator or possibly just use ice chest and ice. I am where ice cost $1.50 for 20 lbs of ice that is a good deal but that is not everywhere.
    I am sure somebody out there would figure out a way to use the hybrid battery and avoid using extra battery for the camper but having battery for the trailer camper means you can drop it at a site with peeps use the car and they could get their task done. I Wish there was instructions how to accomplish these task safely. I know when I am driving leisurely I can do slower speeds saving more fuel reducing ware on my car.
    In the camper I would build a steel frame to hang hammocks from since hammocks allow for air flow below you you should be able to run your AC at a higher temp saving fuel. Rather than use a window unit use a portable air-conditioner they are more stealthy and require a small 4 or 5 inch hole to vent the heat it will remove from your interior space. The less space you remove heat from the less energy you will use so engineer your space wisely.

#44 cdltpx, Aug 8, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2014