1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius CAN Monitor and data logger for Windows PC

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by ken1784, Oct 23, 2006.

1. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello all,

I'm pleased to announce that 83GTP@Tokyo developed the Prius CAN Monitor (or PCM) and data logger for Windows PC.

The PCM uses CAN232 to receive the CAN messages from Prius and displays them on the PC screen, also stores the data every 0.1 second on the PC's disk as a CSV file.
    You can analyze the data later using any spreadsheet software such as OpenOffice or maybe MS Excel. :)

Right now, it uses Japanese Windows fonts, therefore it works only on the Japanese Windows 2000 or XP.
    However, he is now working hard to migrate it to the English version of Windows.

Regarding to the fuel usage, the CAN messages don't have accurate data, so it receives the alternate data from my SuperMID M-1 mileage meter through another RS23C serial port. These data is displayed last two lines of the screen shown below.

If you would like to see some sample CSV output, please download followings...
    http://priusdiy.fc2web.com/image/CAN0610220702-1.csv
    http://priusdiy.fc2web.com/image/CAN0610220702-2.csv

Enjoy,
    Ken@Japan

PS. Many thanks to Attila for decoding the CAN messages.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  2. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I like it! Its just what I was thinking someone should do. Now if it could be open source, and have a nicer display like the Japanese version of the canview or have a fully customized display with graphs then it would be complete. I will still take it like it is. :D Now I cant wait to get my in car computer.

3. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

Put me down for one too. Man I guess I am going to have to find another place to keep my wallet and phone as I will need the middle cubby for a pop out touch screen computer now! :D

4. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Pretty sweet ken...

If anyone wants to collaborate on an open source, linux-based version of this (sorry ken, but i really hate windows), i have plans to start work on it in the next month or so. The final goal, of course, is to use it in a car-puter, but thats a ways off.

5. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Very nice!
    I will get this installed into the carputer soon to give it a shot :)

6. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    ok cool, does it work for an 06?

7. ken1784

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you for your comments...
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(theforce @ Oct 24 2006, 03:12 AM) [snapback]336861[/snapback]</div>
    He agrees that the VB source will be open after he finished the migration to the English Windows.
    However, he does not have a PC running the English Windows now.
    Are there any volunteers who has the CAN232 to do the beta test?

Please be aware that it'll be a beer-ware and you have to treat him to a couple of beers when you guys met him in the States. :)
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Oct 24 2006, 03:27 AM) [snapback]336876[/snapback]</div>
    I can understand what you're saying as I wrote OpenOffice first.
    Hope someone can migrate it from VB to C for X Window or even Java.
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA @ Oct 24 2006, 09:45 AM) [snapback]337105[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, it works on 2004-2007 Prius. The required signal is just CAN on the the DLC-3(OBD-II) connector.

Ken@Japan

8. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA @ Oct 23 2006, 08:45 PM) [snapback]337105[/snapback]</div>
    It is reading the CAN information out of the OBDII connector.

I think its a sofware interpreter/app displaying graphics on a PC hardware on any type, carputer, notebook. I'm using a program that diplays partial information of the Prius because is not supporting 100% Hybrid information with the same CAN232 hardware through an USB adaptor since the last 6 months.
    In this picture you can see it in the 10" LCD display

Really this NEW app shows very nice. ;)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ken1784 @ Oct 23 2006, 10:06 PM) [snapback]337137[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'>

He agrees that the VB source will be open after he finished the migration to the English Windows.
    However, he does not have a PC running the English Windows now.

Well, has I explained before, mine is working since a while now, Hint , Hint..... B)

Attached Files:

9. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Hi Ken,
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ken1784 @ Oct 23 2006, 12:52 PM) [snapback]336834[/snapback]</div>
    Could you give more details about the inaccuracies between the CAN message injector timing and the direct measurements?

With Graham's miniscanner, I see the OBD injector timing values even when the ICE is off. Are there other problems with values being just wrong?

Thanks,
    Bob Wilson

10. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Will it work on Lunix or OS X

11. ken1784

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bwilson4web @ Oct 24 2006, 09:53 PM) [snapback]337256[/snapback]</div>
    Hi Bob,

We can't find "CAN message injector timing" yet.
    Attila's graphcan software uses the 3rd and 4th byte of CANID:348 to calc fuel usage, but it is not accurate.
    CAN-View looks using the 2nd byte of CANID:038, but his site says...
    "This value appears to correlate strongly with calculated fuel usage rates except when not moving, so is not fully understood. It will probably be updated as more information becomes available."

My SuperMID is relatively good within 1% accuracy.
    My feeling that the update timings of data are not inconsistent. The CAN messages is not good for the realtime calculating.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hdrygas @ Oct 25 2006, 01:00 PM) [snapback]337815[/snapback]</div>
    Please refer to the post#7 of this thread.
    It is written in MS VisualBasic now and working only on MS Windows 2000 and XP.

Ken@Japan

12. Pious

Pious New Member

Ken,

Thanks for all the great work and info. Is there any way this could be run on a PDA (like Windows Mobile 5)? It's much easier than bringing a laptop into the car.

Thanks!

13. ken1784

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pious @ Oct 27 2006, 01:59 AM) [snapback]338654[/snapback]</div>
    Following is a list of hints...
    - He is going to supply MS VB source code, does it run VB application?
    - Attila's graphcan software can't receive the pedal values because of too much traffic. Is it fast enough?
    - CAN232 supplies 115200 or 57600 bps serial data, does it have the serial port? Can it handle such speed?

Oh, wait a minutes, the PCM software requires 1024x768 or lager screen size, I think your PDA doesn't have such screen.
    Anyway, you can modify the VB source to fit your screen if you can run the VB software.

Ken@Japan

14. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It may not be a CAN issue, but I believe that OBD2 queries for engine
    parameters show something in ICE-off state because the ECM holds
    the last figure it saw before shutdown. I see this on the Mastertech
    too, and if Scangauge is simply believing what the computer reports
    then you're going to get that bogus reading. Perhaps the thing to do
    is blank all those figures when you realize that RPM = 0, which at
    least reads true...
    _H*

15. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    This looks promising, and it's also inspiring for me to finish my much nicer looking Flash-based front end that I've been working on for MacPrius. It's starting to look like I could easily adapt it to run in my '06 with a PC laptop. Mine is set up to read XML from a port, so a server could be set up to convert the CAN data to XML strings or something like that.

And since it's Flash, it's kind-of platform independent; as long as there's a good binary of the flash player for your OS, you're in business. I'll be excited if when I finish it more than one person will be able to use it in their car!

There's a small portion of my work including source at http://eahart.com/prius/psd but it doesn't show the car-based interface yet. Be warned that I'm not a programmer, so it may not be the prettiest or easiest-to-read code and it probably needs an overhaul. Why, you ask, did i choose Actionscript as the first language I'd really delve into? As a graphic artist I find it the most applicable to the work I do.

16. D0li0

D0li0 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ken1784 @ Oct 23 2006, 10:52 AM) [snapback]336834[/snapback]</div>
    Greeings Ken,
    I have the CAN232 and RS232-USB converter showen at the CAN232 site, and suggested by Attila. I haven't had a chance to use it yet because I hadn't got arround to setting up a linux box to try and run Attilas code on. Sorta got a little sidetracked with the CAN-View and PHEV projects. I would Love to help test out the new Windows PCM in my Prius on Win2000 and WinXP. I would also like to use a similar setup in a Ford Escape, logging all the raw data and trying to decode Packet ID and value information. Let me know...

L8r
    Ryan

17. TJandGENESIS

TJandGENESIS Are We Having Fun Yet?

★Lewisville, part of the Metroplex, Dallas, in the
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    WILL it work some day for OS X?

(I know, it's not now...)

18. allenlux

allenlux Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ken1784 @ Oct 23 2006, 09:06 PM) [snapback]337137[/snapback]</div>
    Ken,

I have the CAN232. I haven't progressed with my own CAN programming project, but I'd be happy to test the English Windows port of this software.

We have beer in Luxembourg too....

John

19. ken1784

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello all,

Thank you for comments about the volunteers of beta test.

The author (83GTP@Tokyo) worked hard to finish up the English Windows version of the Prius CAN Monitor.
    We're now ready to distribute it for beta testing. We would like to limit the number of beta testers up to 10 people.

Please send PM to me with your e-mail address, then I'll send you the 2.3MB Windows installer file.

The eligible persons are...
    - must have CAN232
    - have PC with 1024X768 or larger screen
    - running MS Windows 2000 or XP (maybe 98SE, not tested)

Just FYI...
    We'll open the MS Visual Basic source and binary when we finish the beta testing for about a month.
    The author has no plan to convert the source to C language for such as X Window system on Linux or OS X.

Regards,
    Ken@Japan

20. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ken1784 @ Nov 3 2006, 01:33 AM) [snapback]343061[/snapback]</div>
    Ken,

Would a CANUSB work as well? It allows somewhat faster communications.

JeffD