1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius CAN Monitor and data logger for Windows PC

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by ken1784, Oct 23, 2006.

1. SunnyvalePrius

SunnyvalePrius New Member

I'm happy to report that I have the Beta Prius CAN Monitor running successfully using a CAN-USB and the PEAK cable I mentioned in my last post. The Prius CAN Monitor is a very nice little program!

2. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi all,

We found the CAN message length for engine rpm is different on 2007 Prius from the previous model.
    The author modified it and now the PCM V1.08 can display EV-switch-mode indicator.

Enjoy,
    Ken@Japan

[attachmentid=6846]

Attached Files:

3. joedornan

joedornan New Member

Hello Ken, Others,

I am following this thread with interest as I intend to install a carputer once I receive delivery of a new 06 Prius.

I have been eyeing this bluetooth adapter for the car's OBDII/CAN bus. I think this would be a very simple solution. Do people think it will work with Ken's cool PCM program?

http://www.vitalengineering.co.uk/products.htm

Cheers,
    -Joe

(first post!)

4. ken1784

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(joedornan @ Mar 13 2007, 03:07 PM) [snapback]404668[/snapback]</div>
    Hello Joe,

I think it is only a generic OBD-II scanner and you can't get Prius CAN messages from it.
    The PCM software works with only CAN232 or CANUSB.

Ken@Japan

5. joedornan

joedornan New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ken1784 @ Mar 13 2007, 03:03 AM) [snapback]404727[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks Ken. It looks like CANUSB for me then.

Is there a way to find your software other than PMing you?

Cheers,
    -Joe

6. ken1784

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(joedornan @ Mar 14 2007, 01:27 AM) [snapback]404863[/snapback]</div>
    I'm trying to find a public/free web site to place the binary, but no luck as of today.
    Does anyone know a good place?

Ken@Japan

7. timster

timster Junior Member

Hi Ken,

I would also like the english version of the PCM program, please!

But I want to display it in the built-in MFD. The problem is that the resultion that looks best on the MFD (using my CarPC via the Ecoastal ultimate lockpick) seems to be 640x480... could we/you modify PCM so it can work with this resolution? I guess the best solution would be to modify it to be 2 pages of info instead of one big one? I guess you mentioned giving out the source code, so I'm sure I could quickly modify the code myself. I would also prefer MPH to KMH, etc... so hopefully you'll release the source soon!

Here's a website that I have used in the past for free web hosting.
    http://www.bravenet.com/ It's easy to sign up and pretty nice interface...

Also could somebody please determine which OBD2 cable will work with the CANUSB that could be purchased in the USA?

Thanks a bunch!
    -Tim

8. joedornan

joedornan New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ken1784 @ Mar 13 2007, 12:01 PM) [snapback]404880[/snapback]</div>
    If you are releasing the code as open sourse, then sourceforge.org is good. Otherwise Bravenet works too. Or you could start a thread in this forum and attach the file to the first post in the thread. You can always edit the post to change the attachment as needed...

I think that would be OK with the moderators... ? Ought to ask.

-Joe

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(timster @ Mar 19 2007, 01:49 PM) [snapback]408472[/snapback]</div>
    I support Tim's request for compatibility with the Prius' built-in MFD. It seems an appropriate acommodation. I too will soon be using the ecoastal route to the MFD to display your cool software. It's amazing that we are improving upon the original car in such a useful but low-key way!

-Joe

9. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    What ever it cost?d I'm there. Let us know when english is ready!

10. ken1784

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Tim and Joe,
    Thank you for your comments.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(joedornan @ Apr 18 2007, 02:55 AM) [snapback]424723[/snapback]</div>
    I've not received a permission to publish the PCM from the author yet.
    I'll try to get his permission and put the PCM somewhere.
    In the mean time...
    If you would like to receive the software, send PM to me with your email address.
    If the author agrees to publish the source, I'll do that.
    Then, anyone can modify it to meet your needs.

Regards,
    Ken@Japan

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hill @ Apr 19 2007, 03:35 AM) [snapback]425466[/snapback]</div>
    It's freeware.
    The latest V1.08 is ready for...
    - English Windows
    - MPH or km/h menu selection
    - Fahrenheit or Celsius menu selection

Ken@Japan

11. bnardone

bnardone New Member

What is the status of the opensource endeavor? I am trying to come up to speed on the Prius in general and am highly interested in a project like this running on *nix/OS X. I have the software background and am working to tool up in the other fields.

Cheers.

12. ken1784

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've not received the permission to place the source in public from the author yet.
    In the mean time, please send me PM with your email address if you need source or binary.

Ken@Japan

13. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Ken (and others). I'm following up from your link to this in the GreenHybrid discussion on testing driving methods. As background for others, I'm looking to do comparison testing of various driving methods. After some frustration with initial testing attempts, I have concluded I really need a device for data logging, preferably for under $100. See here for more.

From what I can glean here, I would need the PCM software, CAN232 or CANUSB, and an OBDII cable like the Peak cable that Sunnyvale Prius has. His link lists the Peak cable at €60; they also have the CAN232 device for €90. So with the current currency exchange rate, I'm still looking at over $200. That might be worth it to get the extra CAN data, but that's a decision for later. Meanwhile, am I missing anything? Are there cheaper sources for the CAN interface and OBDII cable? How much more is CANUSB (which I would prefer), and who sells that? (I didn't see that listed on the site with the Peak cable.)

Finally, I don't have the technical background of many of you. That's why I first started looking at an OBDII-to-PC scantool. I want a turnkey, plug-and-play package, not something that requires hacking or extensive configuration. Sunnyvale Prius, how cumbersome was it to get everything set up?

Thanks to all.

14. bnardone

bnardone New Member

Is there a semi-official prius knowledge base wiki or similar anywhere?

I think it would be worthwhile to catalog the cables (and sellers) necessary for such collection. I have only had time to skim the cable details in this thread, but I am seriously up for contributing to or working on software to collect/analyze the information coming out.

15. chinalfr2

chinalfr2 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    After reading the following product, ProScan, I think this device can replace the CANUSB.

It's US $160 and will convert CAN Protocol to RS232 ASCII via either serial or USB port. This product also come with software to read the data from the ECU. I'm sure it will work with PCM too since they all capture ASCII data from Serial/USB COM port.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

16. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thanks, chinalfr2, for helping to open my eyes to other options. When I first looked at ProScan, I looked at the cheaper $90 model because of price considerations. That was before Ken directed me back to this thread and, therefore, before I considered the possibility of logging Prius-specific CAN data. (Not essential for my tests, but desirable otherwise.) So between you and him, you're getting me pointed in what I hope is the right direction, maybe even better than I first started off in.

Although marketed as a hardware/software package, ProScan appears primarily to be a software product, packaged with the ElmScan 5 interface (USB or serial). The latter appears to be a product of Scantool.net. Regardless of who makes ElmScan 5, Scantool.net sells it as a standalone unit for even less than the CANUSB/Peak cable combo: $140. So if all I need is that and the (free) PCM software, we're whittling the price down to something manageable.

Now I'm crossing my fingers and hoping you folks of great wisdom here will look at that and tell me it should work. ;)

17. chinalfr2

chinalfr2 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
  18. ken1784

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(chinalfr2 @ May 11 2007, 04:59 AM) [snapback]439420[/snapback]</div>
    No, I don't think so.
    The PCM works interactively with CAN232(CANUSB is compatible).
    Following is some example for initializing sequence...
    SEND
    __RECEIVE
    0x0d
    __0x0d
    0x0d
    __0x0d
    0x0d
    __0x0d
    V
    __V1220 HW version 1.2 SW version 2.0 of CAN232
    N
    __NC123 serial number
    S6 set CAN speed 500 kbps
    __0x0d
    M29000400 set message filters
    __0x0d
    mD6EFB3EF set message filters
    __0x0d

and so on...
    If the ProScan is compatible above sequence, it works with PCM. But, I doubt it.

Ken@Japan

19. bnardone

bnardone New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ken1784 @ May 10 2007, 09:11 PM) [snapback]439590[/snapback]</div>
    Ken, where could I find more information about this sequence?

I am still learning/evaluating options as to approaching this.

20. ken1784

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(brandon n @ May 11 2007, 10:14 AM) [snapback]439592[/snapback]</div>
    We refer to CAN232 user's manual.
    http://www.can232.com/can232.pdf

Also, you have his source code by now, and you can see the real sequence with the source.

Ken@Japan