1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius CAN Monitor and data logger for Windows PC

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by ken1784, Oct 23, 2006.

1. emailcurt

emailcurt New Member

ok, great, thanks Ken. and then I would also need a serial to USB adapter to use over USB right?

1 person likes this.
  2. Jo_Vincent

Jo_Vincent Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I just reviewed the information available concerning the Prius CAN monitor
    and I am interested in using this product on my 04 Prius. Is it possible for
    me to get a copy of this software. I use CAN232 and my pc is windows XP. My email is [email protected]. The character between the "T" and the "f" in my email address is an underscore"_". Thank you very much for considering this request.

1 person likes this.
  3. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sent you the software.

Ken@Japan

1 person likes this.
  4. ken1784

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If your PC doesn't have the RS232C port, you can use either serial to USB adapter with CAN232 device or CANUSB device.
    CANUSB - The Low cost CAN to USB converter

Ken@Japan

1 person likes this.
  5. Jo_Vincent

Jo_Vincent Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thank you for the software. It's really cool.

6. douglas001001

douglas001001 smug doug

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    On line 72 of the Prius Codes sheet this is written:

On 7E2 : 02 21 C3 and 02 21 C4 has info on MG1/2 REV, MG1/2 Torque, MG1/2 Trq Exc Val, MG1/2 inverter temp, MG1/2 temp, "converter" temp (the DC/DC?), ICE speed and target ICE speed…

Has anyone played with the target ICE speed value? Looks like it might be helpful if it tells what RPM the car is going to get to before it gets there.

I'm having trouble understanding the can ID values that get read. Could someone perhaps post the codes that get read/used on one PCM screen refresh?

1 person likes this.
  7. kolychev

kolychev New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Hello Ken, I wish to test program ported for ELM. Can you send it to me please ? My email is oleg(at)softservice.org.

8. statultra

statultra uber-Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ken i was wondering if I could test this program, i am in desperate need of testing the block voltages and this would be great

- [email protected]

9. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    o it wil not show the block voltages
    for that you need canview
    the only system that can do this what i no to date.

10. sxotty

sxotty Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a hymotion pack installed in an 09.

I started reading through the thread, but right off the OP says that it does not accurately record fuel useage. I want to record energy useage, from battery and fuel.

I was looking at the canview stuff from hybrid interfaces, but this program looks like it has potential. I just wanted to try and clarify the differences between the programs and hopefully see what will meet my needs.

11. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    PM Ken. He hasn't visited this thread for a while & likely isn't closely monitoring it. You never know, there may have been added features in the interim.

12. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you wanting to monitor energy used to charge the battery get a kill-a-watt or Watts up? meter. If you want accurate MPG numbers you wont get them with a ScanGauge, CAN-View, or anything else. You might get close but if your getting over 100MPG they wont be that accurate. The best way to calculate MPG is when you fill up with gas. Now if your wanting to see how much energy you used from the battery the CAN-View is the only device that I know of that will show you that. It will only give you an Ah count down and even that is not too accurate. I have mine set to 16.5Ah and if I drain the battery I usually end up near 0Ah. Sometimes its .5Ah and sometimes its 1Ah.

13. sxotty

sxotty Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Monitoring how much goes in from the wall isn't the problem :)

I want to know how much is expended to meet a driving profile. That way I can take a track from someone and say they would get X MPG and use Y kWh and Z gallons to drive that. BTW filling up the gas tank isn't very accurate as it isn't consistent. The fuel injectors actually could give a pretty darn good estimate of consumption b/c the computer should know just how much fuel it squirts in each time.

It sounds like I may have to create some sort of monitoring equipment to actually test the voltage and amperage along the lines. That will be a bit of a pain. I will see what norm says.

14. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well I've done the math and I can tell you that the Prius is good for about 200Wh per mile on flat roads and about 250Wh per mile if on small hills or your heavy on the accelerator. Thats all electric.

If you dong this for calculations just use about 250Wh per mile under 34mph and as long as the trip is with in the battery range which should be around 20-30 miles just use 100-150mpg on roads 35+mph. That should get you close.

I've done my commute like this and I got anywhere between 300-500MPG on the calculations and in real life I'm getting somewhere around 300+MPG

15. sxotty

sxotty Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am trying to measure it so I can make a model and plug in GPS tracks from anyone. I can't just say it is somewhere between 250-200. (And how do you calculate that? If you measure wall input you don't know what the loss is between the AC source and teh charging battery, or the energy efficiency of the battery). The Ah and Voltage outputs from the Canview setup theoretically could tell a person the amount of energy if they were reasonably accurate.

16. ken1784

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The 2009 Prius MPG meter is very consistent, but it shows 2.5% better number. You can obtain the fuel usage from the MPG meter.

You can get the voltage and ampere data from the can bus.
    The PCM software sends them every 0.1 second. You can do a math to get kWh value using spreadsheet software.

Ken@Japan

1 person likes this.
  17. sxotty

sxotty Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ken,

Thanks for the information. That certainly gives me hope that I will be able to get the data I need. At least the gasoline consumption should be attainable. The hymotion pack lies about the current, so I cannot just multiply the voltage times current. Instead I will need to measure it separately.

18. wildbottom

wildbottom New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hi ken1784,
    Please tell me how to get a hold of your monitoring program. I already PM you. Maybe it didn't get thru.
    Thanks,
    Wildbottom.

19. MajorD

MajorD New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Greetings,
    I'm a greenie to this forum and just getting back into playing with my 2005. Is the PCM software still available somewhere? I would like to replace my homegrown VB with something more robust.
    Thanks,
    MajorD

20. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    How do I get the "Prius CAN Monitor (or PCM) and data logger for Windows PC"? Ken's PM does not work. Thanks!