1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Catalytic converter theft

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by randomwalk101, Mar 17, 2021.

1. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Just make sure to put a resistor in series with the HV lead to limit the current (to less than a few amps - sufficient to cause a significant jolt to the miscreant) along with a slow-blow fuse to protect the HV battery from damage.

2. dbstoo

dbstoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    In most jurisdictions that is considered a "booby trap" and will result in a jail sentence if you are found to be implementing one. The problem with booby traps is that they hurt, maim or kill innocent people who stumble upon them. Like the first responder who is trying to extricate you from the wreckage after a crash.

3. GregersonIT

GregersonIT Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    My other car is a mazda3 and the cat is so integrated into the exhaust manifold that to try and steal it is just an exercise in futility. Lol.

4. dtsexpert

dtsexpert Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    my driveway fit 2 cars tighly. I always park 2 on my driveway to make no spaces on the side for the lowlife thief to lift up the cars. That works so far

5. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Is catnapping a 'thing' for Primes?

So will your car if the wire rubs through.

Besides....DC voltage is fairly inefficient at killing folks.
    The dude cranking on the pipe cutter would just see an arc-flash, and the result would, at best, be soiled BVDs and a divot in the blade of the cutting tool.

I'm just spitballing here but I'm guessing that a wire that would carry enough amps to scare off the catnapper would also do some spectacular DC arc welding under your car if it rubs through while you're driving, and the battery wouldn't be very happy afterwards either.

SO...
    While it may be fun to think about, would you REALLY want to kill a human over something as trivial as a car?
    I've made jokes myself about using #9 bird shot on a quarter panel of the getaway car to induce them to be somewhere else...BUT(!)
    I would make absolutely sure that I was using a less than lethal load in the shotshells.
    Anyone who has ever hunted with Liz Cheney's dad can attest to the effectiveness of trap loads at point blank range. ;)

While I personally feel ethically bound not to kill over something as trivial as a car part, but I do NOT feel similarly bound to inform the would-be thieves!
    :D

6. BiomedO1

BiomedO1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    That's a good question. Maybe someone can unplug their down-stream sensor and drive around in EV mode; to see if the ECU will do an engine sensor check - while running in EV mode.

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Protect the rear cut-zone with welded on round bar? In this sketch I've only shown three RB's, to avoid the it getting too cluttered, at 3, 6 and 9 o'clock, but in practice you'd want a few more, say at least two more, at 4:30 and 7:30.

58B6A867-EC1A-4476-9E5F-1443871C37AE.jpeg
    Better: have them at every "hour", say 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9 o'clock. Cross-section view:

6CF432A7-867F-4D7F-B5D5-F8BEDCEB5523.jpeg

Maybe even a few more, say at 10 and 2 o'clock, if it's reachable. Might need to partially disconnect the exhaust and drop it a few inches for better access.

Or...: sub a wrap-around of expanded metal mesh for the round bar. Again, tack-welded.

#27 Mendel Leisk, Aug 28, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2022
  8. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Considering the hassle that would be, I volunteer @dbstoo :)

BiomedO1 likes this.
  9. PT Guy

PT Guy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Electrical currents go where they want to go, not always were we want them to go. Arc welding on a chassis full of electronic gizmos may result in a very expensive surprise. I guess protection bars could be gas welded.

Mendel Leisk likes this.