1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Chassic Stiffening Plate Installation

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by cairo94507, Aug 6, 2005.

1. KS_prius

KS_prius New Member

My Prius was manufactured 06/05 and the brace is identical to that in Prius Brace 3.jpg. Presuming that is an example of an unstrengthened Toyota brace, then the strengthened version must have a later manufacture date. If it was a concern, I'd opt for the strengthened Toyota version purely from the "aftermarket" conversion voids warranty scenario. Hypothetically speaking, what happens if the super-duper aftermarket widget fails due to some manufacturing flaw during spirited driving? Who antes up to fix the car?

2. djasonw

djasonw Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Here's what you do. Carry a torque wrench in your car and the OLD part. Change it out before the cops get there. Warranty is the LAST thing I'd be thinking of. OTOH, when I had my allroad and a GIAC chip installed, then I worried. Overboosting a turbo beyond auto specs.. Not good.

3. KS_prius

KS_prius New Member

djasonw, hahahahaha..ahem, well...a superwidget stiffening plate is cheaper than 4 tires in terms of potentially addressing Prius trackability.

I'm still too new to the car and need to drive it more to understand any behavioral quirks. It would be nice to see some objective testing results versus subjective feedback.

4. popserge

popserge New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Objectivity is impossible without intrumentation! I question anyone can really feel the difference between the OEM bar and the Brian bar. I bought one for fun and to see what happened if I put it on. I don't have an objective observation and my subjective one is that the jury is still out. I'm also looking to buy a cell phone which will fully intergrate with the Prius system for no other reason than I'd like it to. I've tinted the windows, put leather in and mounted a cell antenna on the roof. I don't need any of that, I just want it, so I have it. I don't see how Brians aerodynamic mod will work, it looks too unitrusive but I may get it just to see if it works or not.
    My point is that we all do what we want to do when we can, or we don't. Sometimes we do it with facts and figures and sometimes just by the seat of our pants.
    Both are OK

5. KS_prius

KS_prius New Member

poserge, 10-4, roger that.

I remember my 1st car, a 1971 Datsun 240Z...I enjoyed spending my "fun" money on it. Teflon bushings, triple webers, bilstein gas shoclks, pirelli tires, free-flow exhaust, recaro seats, etc...some of that stuff makes an immediately noticeable difference. at the time I wouldn't have spent my money any other way.

6. FredWB

FredWB New Member

I sure do agree with you on that one. I even be willing to pay for it!! Call it heavier steering (my wife does) or tracking. It can make a car so much more relaxing and fun to drive. I realize the Prius isn't a sports car but come on Toyota, don't we at least deserve what you're willing to give other markets? Offer it as an upgrade kit or whatever. If it's just a recalibration or a new minor component I'd gladly pay the cost. I'm going to continue to try to find out what "this new PS calibration" really is all about so we might benefit from it. Maybe the Toyota tech online here can ask Toyota corporate for more info about it?

7. wyman

wyman New Member

I can confirm that my car (manufacture 7/05) has the enhanced brace. It is much wider and similiar in size as the BT plate.

Wyman

8. BT Tech

BT Tech New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Could you please take a picture of this brace?

I was at the local dealer yesterday to see the latest Prius' that just arrived with a manufactured date of 09/2005 and the brace was identical to the 2004-2005 model year.

Thanks!!

Brian
    BT Tech
    305-652-3115

9. wyman

wyman New Member

Brian, sorry my mistake, I looked the wrong location for the brace (the front) instead of the rear. :(

Wyman