1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Classic help needed in Swaziland

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by swaziterry, Aug 5, 2007.

1. swaziterry

swaziterry New Member

Guys i need some technical advice please. I purchased a japanese imported Prius Classic 2001 cheaply as its the only one in Swaziland and is a non runner. Symptoms are 1) Main battery warning light comes on on the MFG display with warning displayed, when ignition switch turned fully MFG light goes out engine will not start. It was initially running on arrival in Swaziland for one short trip then symptoms described. I have changed the rear battery to 35A/Hr battery, checked all fuses and done all i can with no luck. also unfortunately no manual bu :( t working on that. Please im desperate for any suggestions.

2. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Hi Terry. Welcome to PriusChat.
    You might have already done this, but be sure to cross-post on other forums. There's a Yahoo group and a few others, I think, where you might also find some help.

I'm asking the general population: Who has the link to the Yahoo group?

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(swaziterry @ Aug 5 2007, 07:46 AM) [snapback]490828[/snapback]</div>
    In addition to the technical data, you need an OBD scanner to read out the codes from the hybrid and engine ECU. These are the road map to what is going on. Fortunately the codes are uniform so an English manual is sufficient:
    http://techdoc.toyota-europe.com/

Sad to say, getting repair parts will be a challenge. Do you know if the local Toyota dealer will order parts for your car? Do you feel comfortable will ordering parts from outside of your country?

Before going much further, how comfortable do you feel about working with the technical aspects of the car? This car is not rocket science but it is different and you've got what sounds like a broken one.

One last thing, we need to confirm the model. If you raise the hood, on the left side near the windshield is a plastic flap you raise to read the VIN number with the model number. We need to verify it is an NHW11 and not an NHW10. The reason I ask is there have been some exports of NHW10s and these were Japanese only vehicles. The NHW11 was the first model exported in any significant numbers, 34,000 to North America, and parts are more readily available than the NHW10.

Bob Wilson

4. swaziterry

swaziterry New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bwilson4web @ Aug 5 2007, 09:51 PM) [snapback]490909[/snapback]</div>

Thanks for the info. To confirm it is a NHW11 model. The reason i committed to the vehicle is because i am an electronics tech and fairly competent on vehicles.

The best help i can expect to get would be Toyoya South Africa (S.A.) 4 hrs drive away. The problem is that S.A. only imported Prius models from 2005 onwards so im not sure that the diagnostic equipment they have available for the 2005 Prius will work with the Classic model, can anyone answer this question? Will their HV Battery Charger (assuming they have one) be of the right voltage to charge the Classic HV Battery? Will the new Prius model vehicle HV Battery run in the Classic model?

Following other forum threads it seems reasonable to assume the HV Battery low and not able to turn the HW1 Electric Motor. The MFD Screen shows approx quarter level for HV Battery however? I know its dangerous to attempt to charge the HV Battery but considering where i am i may give this a shot if all else fails.

As stated checked everything i can from internet info available (including checking the safety plug) with no luck so far.

I am in process of having a manual sent to me. Any idea where i can locate an OBD Scanner?

5. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(swaziterry @ Aug 6 2007, 02:05 AM) [snapback]491136[/snapback]</div>
    Excellent! This is a good forum for technical information but you may want to visit the YahooGroup, "Prius_Technical_Stuff"
    Let's get a good diagnosis before headed that way. Our experience has been that Toyota service is OK but sometimes they are a little 'by the book' and often expensive. With a 4 hour trip, let's make sure it is a trip worth while.
    This is a little tricky since the battery assembly has two banks of 20 cell assemblies. There is a safety interlock relay in the middle. Even so, each bank has 135 DC volts at potentially lethal power levels, even when low. It really makes sense to get the manuals first so you can remove the pack safely, if it is necessary.
    The Toyota scanner is the best because it also reads out the subcodes. However, if you pose the question in "Prius_Technical_Stuff," you'll get the best recommendations from folks who have them. I use the Graham miniscanner:
    http://prius.ecrostech.com/
    http://www.ecrostech.com/Products/MiniScanner/Intro.htm

It reads out the major codes but not the sub-codes. The major codes are enough to isolate to the area of interest.

Now a couple of quick questions. Does the car turn over at all and try to run or does it just sit there on each attempt to start?

You've checked all the fuses? (sorry but I had to ask.)

What is the battery voltage measured at the cigarette lighter when you turn the car on and try to start? (there should be no voltage when the car is off.)

When you turn the car on, just before the start position, do you hear the inverter pump running? It should sound like something under the inverter side mounted low on the frame.

As a suggestion, wrap up what we discussed and post it as an introduction to "Prius_Technical_Stuff." Folks there are pretty helpful and knowing your background after confirming the model will go a long way.

Bob Wilson

6. swaziterry

swaziterry New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bwilson4web @ Aug 6 2007, 12:42 PM) [snapback]491141[/snapback]</div>

Thanks Bob, will follow up on the scanner once im mobile.

To answer your questions. The car does not start at all, the ready light does not come on and as you turn the key to start mode, the MFD display dies until you release the key. I cannot hear anything that sounds like an inverter pump running.

Unfortunately the vehicle is 50km away so will check on the cigarette lighter voltage on my next visit, what is the significance?

I have already posted onto the "Prius Technical Stuff" forum and waiting for response, thanks for the advice.

7. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(swaziterry @ Aug 6 2007, 08:39 AM) [snapback]491186[/snapback]</div>
    Owch. It is a subtle sound. Once turned 'on', not started, the pump is important for preventing overheating of the inverter assembly. We'll work on that once we understand why it isn't heard.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(swaziterry @ Aug 6 2007, 08:39 AM) [snapback]491186[/snapback]</div>
    We need to understand the voltage 'under load.' Actually the auxillary 12V battery is just powering the electronic control units (ECUs) that run the car. The cigarette lighter is a good place for measuring the voltages while operating the switch.

All first postings have to be reviewed by the moderator so there may be a day before it shows up.

Bob Wilson

8. swaziterry

swaziterry New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bwilson4web @ Aug 6 2007, 07:12 PM) [snapback]491233[/snapback]</div>

Ok with ignition turned on (not key turned to start) there is like a whining sound coming from the inverter assy, will check again hopefully today and let you know. Will check voltage on cigarette lighter as well.

Concerning scanners, out of interest, where does one plug in to the vehicle for diagnostics?

9. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(swaziterry @ Aug 7 2007, 02:17 AM) [snapback]491743[/snapback]</div>
    Good. The whining noise should seem to come from the frame area under the inverter. Hearing it is good news.

The cigarette lighter voltage test lets us know the battery can sustain the startup load. The anti-lock brake assembly includes a powerful pump. This can put a load on the 12 VDC battery. We like to see it in the upper 12 VDC range and anything over 13 VDC is great.

In North America with left hand side driver seats, it is at the bottom of the dash, facing down just to the lower left of the steering column. I'm not sure where the Japanese drive vehicles have it. However, I suspect if you get low where you can see the underside edge of the dash, it will be obvious.

GOOD LUCK!

Bob Wilson

ps. BTW, your Yahoo Group initial posting showed up. I would recommend sharing your results with that team. They have been my teachers . . . the Prius "gray beards."

10. swaziterry

swaziterry New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bwilson4web @ Aug 7 2007, 05:21 PM) [snapback]491785[/snapback]</div>

Thanks Bob. I would think the cigarettte lighter test should be ok, i did replace the original Prius battery with a brand new Delco 35 a/hr battery (temporary fitting with proper heavy duty battery leads attached to original Prius terminals) that had been charged up for 12 hrs or so, will be checking this tomorrow for confirmationand let you know.

Thanks for the tip on the Prius "grey beards" will figure out how to send entire posting to them.

REGARDS

Terry