1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius classic HV battery life record??

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by SteveWlf, Oct 21, 2012.

1. SteveWlf

SteveWlf Old-on-Hold

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    As I have already mentioned in previous Newbie threads, I just purchase a 2002 classic that has 276,000 miles on it.
    Since I had the name and address of the origanal (0nly previous owner), I called him up and he was very pleasant and full of information that will be of help as I try to get another 100K out of this very well maintained car. My first concern was if the HV battery had ever been changed. NO still the OEM origanal with never a problem. Only other problem he had experienced was a Red Triangle of Death, that I had experience in the first 40 I drove. It went away and hasn't recurred (cross my fingers) since I cleaned and tighted the Aux. battery terminals.
    In further coversation, he admitted that he had traded it in for a 2000 Prius but wishes he had kept it as a communter car because if its reliability and better driver visibialty. That was a "Vote of Confidence" to me.
    Just thought I would share that info!
    Now, as to my post Title Question: Just curious as to how many miles others have experienced or heard of for an OEM HV battery??

Steve

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Near as I can tell, it is function of exposure to:
    • heat - kills the traction battery
    • heavy discharge->charge - charging is exothermic so drawing down the traction battery leads to more charge induced, heating. This tends to happen in hilly areas more frequently than flat and higher speeds.
    I upgraded my traction battery to NHW20 modules three years ago at 130,000 miles. I've been doing a survey of all 38 modules only to find one has gone bad. The others still have 3.5-5.5 Ahr capacity.

Bob Wilson

3. joedirte

joedirte Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Also
    #3 deep discharge. If left on with say an ICE that will not start, the HV batteries can be discharges to a low voltage. Also leaving the car undriven for long periods of time will drain the battery from self-discharge.

At some point this will reduce the total capacity of the battery. The Prius traction battery is identical to a NiMH power tool battery which you may have some experience with. Same things apply, except that because you usually have the battery SoC between 50 and 70% you get many more cycles than the same battery discharged from 10 to 100% over and over.

4. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The record I'm aware of is 349K miles at John's Stuff - Toyota Prius Owner - Jesse 4.

5. DaveGoodrich

DaveGoodrich Member

Well, my 2001 is at 284,000 miles on the original battery. Up until today I have had no problems, but I'm afraid my luck has run out. I had the triangle of death with 3006, 3016 and 3020 codes. I was able to drive it home, but I am evaluating my options. I love the car, and it saves me money on my 80 miles/day commute, so I am considering replacing the battery. Time to do some research.

cwerdna likes this.
  6. SteveWlf

SteveWlf Old-on-Hold

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well, I'm happy to hear that there are traction batteries of my age and type that have gone beyond my 276K. This isn't a contest of course. Just a bit more optomitc encouragement. The local (smallish town) Toyota dealer ship tells me they have only replace two early Prius traction batteries, and both were in the same car.

I mentioned elsewhere that my recently aquired Prius classic out of a dealer inventory auction. It had been, basically out of regular service for since trade in Aug, 2010. From mileage record on the title documents, it was operated about 1000 miles during that time. When the current mileage was recorded for the auction photos, the HV battery was showing about 3/4 charge. Several months later, when I recovered it from the auction yard, the mileage was the same but the aux. battery was stone dead. Once I jump started it the HV battery indicator showed the same 3/4 charge. My point being that the HV battery seems to have survived it stent in storage well and perhaps due to some limited use by the dealership, thus accounting for the 1000 miles accumulation.
    In addition I have since talked at length with the previous owner and the car was use as a commuter car for a daily mileage of over 100 mile a day. Or 25K/yr. Mixed rural, freeway and a small precent city. Good reason to drive a Hybrid. Just my observation of the history of this HV battery service life.

Steve

7. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Failed traction (HV) battery, what to do? - Prius Wiki

If you have more info or corrections, feel free to makes changes to the Wikia entry.

8. joedirte

joedirte Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I might try to force charge the battery back up to 80% SOC and maybe measure the capacity..
    How to measure traction battery capacity | PriusChat

The real question in your case is if there is one bad pair of cells or some are heating up.

9. DaveGoodrich

DaveGoodrich Member

I have had such good luck with my Prius, that I wouldn't know what it means to "force charge the battery back to 80% SOC." I do know that, once I got the triangle of death with aforementioned codes (which I reset with my non-traction battery aware code scanner), the SOC (as indicated on the dash display) fluctuated wildly, going from 3/4 to 1/4 essentially instantly, then charging back up, then back down, etc. Eventually (matter of minutes) the codes return. The battery cooling fan has been on more recently, and is essentially constantly on now.

I'm leaning towards a Re-InVolt battery pack. I am comfortable with the DIY install. But if there is a possibility that my battery could somehow be saved for less cost, I would love to hear about how. Also, I am in Southern California, so I would love to hear any info about local Prius-aware shops or battery rebuilders, etc.

Thanks,

10. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Force charge means being in D and having feet on both pedals. 80% SoC should be represented by all bars being filled on the MFD. (On Gen 2, all bars filled = 80% SoC.)

11. DaveGoodrich

DaveGoodrich Member

Does all bars filled=80% on the Gen 1 as well?

Could doing a force charge potentially "fix" my problem, at least for a while? Seems unlikely, but I can always hope.
    Thanks,

12. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Battery completely green = 80% on the Gen I.

A "force charge" will not fix your problem. The only things that will fix your problem is replace bad cell(s) or a new, salvaged or rebuilt batt pack. If it was me, I would go for cell replacement but that is a personal decision that must be based on your skill level and comfort with electricity. There are numerous threads here on replacing a cell or cells.

bwilson4web likes this.