1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius code p3000 fan blowing hard

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Killtheoldman, May 9, 2016.

1. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Holy crap.
    Got a lot to work through on this.
    After saving the freeze frame data, I would clear the codes and see what returns.
    Then start the diagnosing things from there.

Killtheoldman likes this.
  2. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That code lineup is classic results of a bad 12 volt battery. Seen that 100 times here.
    A dip below 11 volts will make all the ecu's in the car go cookoo and complain especially the gateway. An unplug of all 2 cables on the pos post of the battery will clear all of those.

I can almost guarantee you the 12 volt battery is shot if you had bodywork done. They live to leave the doors open. They killed the 12 volt battery...jumped it and then gave the car back to you. Seen that way more than 100 times here.

If it was me I would replace that 12 volt asap. Don't bother charging it.

3. Killtheoldman

Killtheoldman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    ok so the starter battery did run low once while trying to run techstream, its brand new (less than 2 months old) i can return it but i doubt its an issue. also i have charged it back up and cleared the codes attatched is what i got. Something funny though when running healthcheck this time it wont let me select to run the check on power, im at a loss

Attached Files:

4. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As long as you charge the battery up straight away, you will be fine and no damage is done. Leaving a FLA battery for any length of time in a discharged state is what does the damage.
    Given all the "U" code you have, it is not surprising. Tech steam is obviously having problems communicating with one or more ECUs.

Do you plug in the cable (both ends) with the laptop started and running Techstream before starting the car (making it READY)? Try that if not. When the car is READY (or at least IG-ON), "connect to the car" and then run the health check.

That's all I got, hope that helps.