1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius (!) Codes 11 13 42, bad relay?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by parkito, Apr 14, 2018.

Tags:
  1. parkito

parkito Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    This morning my gen 2 Prius red warning triangle and check engine light lit up. It starts and runs normal (I think?). The 12 v battery was recently replaced and the main battery recently had some bad cells replaced (about 1-2k miles ago)

Using a jumper pin it looks like I'm getting
    (!) Codes 11 13 42 and
    Abs 42

Doing some googling it looks like it is something to do with main relay 1 and main relay 2 having an open circuit? Is this common? I'm not really sure how to proceed but I'm hoping it is something I can service myself.

Last night the car was driven and it was fine. Apparently my wife also drove it a mile or two today without and issues as well.

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I suggest you start by fully-charging the 12V battery, then clear the DTC and see if they come back. Since you know how to retrieve the blink codes, you may also know how to clear the DTC using the jumper wire. (But if not, put the jumper on pins 4 and 13, make the Prius READY, and press the brake pedal at least 8 times within 5 seconds. Then remove the jumper and see if any warning lights persist.)

Danny S likes this.
  3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If the codes do come back, can you double check exactly which lights are blinking which codes? It matters, they are listed in separate tables in the repair manual. This is one area where quickly googling just for the code numbers can quickly lead off the track.

There are two quite similar looking yellow lights up there. The Brake Control (ECB) warning light is like a ! inside a full circle inside two parentheses. The Tire Pressure light is like a ! inside two rounded sidewalls of a tire, with a tread underneath.

In the repair manual, you have to look up the ECB light blinks in the ECB codes table, the ABS light blinks in the ABS codes table, and the VSC (skid) blinks in the VSC codes table, or you can get fooled. (Also, I noticed the three (!) codes you reported all happen to be valid tire-pressure codes, which was why I wanted to check on the exact blinking light.)

-Chap

4. parkito

parkito Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Thanks for your help guys. I actually didn't realize I could clear the codes, so I will make sure the battery is charged and try clearing them to see if they come back. It did rain a lot this week, and I've heard of Priuses not being as water tight as they should be.

5. parkito

parkito Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    The 12v battery levels look normal. I put the jumper pin in and hit the brake over and over but it didn't seem to do anything, I'm not sure if I was doing it wrong. I then unplugged the 12v battery for a bit and that cleared the codes.

I drove it for a few miles and red triangle, check engine, and now ((!)) lights came on. I noticed when the lights came on it looked like the Prius hybrid battery level jumped from really high to about 1 bar. It then came up and is normal now.

Before the lights came on I started to get even better mpg, which makes it weird that this is happening. I'll have to see if I can get the codes again manually with the jumper pin.

6. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    IMO, the rebuilt pack has failed again. This repair method is referred to as whack-a-mole. A 2005 pack is getting very old.

GOOD LUCK!

edthefox5 likes this.
  7. parkito

parkito Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    This is the conclusion I came to as well. The guy who refurbed it gives a 1 year warranty so I'll take it back to him. If it happes out of the warranty I plan on just replacing all the bad cells myself. The car had 118k miles on it so I'm hoping I can get 50k-80k more out of it.

8. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Ahh OK. See the link in my signature to see how I handled those repairs. To get that many miles, you're going to get very good at replacing modules! ;) :( But sometimes that's the best option for some folks.

GOOD LUCK! :)

9. parkito

parkito Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    So I did have a bad cell block, and also the battery computer (I forgot the real name) was going out and not charging the cells correctly. Luckily the guy who refurbed it covered it in his warranty and got it done in a few hours. The dash lights are gone and it may just be the warmer weather but I was able to get 10-15 mpg better on the drive home.