1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Codes question - Do I need a new cell?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by EXDXGXE4Life, Nov 17, 2019.

1. EXDXGXE4Life

EXDXGXE4Life Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I've searched around and found a person that has basically all the same problems as me and he had to replace a cell (red triangle of death, vsc, check engine light and tire pressure low light | PriusChat). I even had the low to full battery issue. I just got back from Autozone (and while I was less than impressed with the service) thought it was a bad cell, though he only diagnosed it based on the red triangle of death.

The pictures are:
    The day time picture is I took when it first happened. The brake light has since turned off.
    The night time picture is of the battery. It's only 3.5 years old but read that could be the problem.
    The codes I've tried to figure out but have not clue and no indication that it's a bad cell.

Any thoughts and help would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    There are many different reasons that the red triangle appears, and without the diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) from the hybrid system, no one here could say for certain what is wrong with your car.

You need to use a Toyota Techstream diagnostic system, or a third-party equivalent that can communicate with the hybrid vehicle control ECU and battery ECU, to retrieve the stored DTCs. A generic scan tool made only for OBD II engine and emissions diagnosis wouldn’t be sufficient.

Similarly, the diagnostic mode of the audio or navigation system, seen in your photos Codes.jpg and Battery.jpg, is meant only for diagnosis of that system; it’s not a general diagnostic or indicating system for the vehicle, and the codes seen there are unrelated to the hybrid system or HV battery.

3. EXDXGXE4Life

EXDXGXE4Life Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks for your knowledge. I'll take it to the dealership or my main mechanic for more information.

Elektroingenieur likes this.