1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius completely dead.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by pcb18, Mar 26, 2018.

1. pcb18

pcb18 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Hello,

I've had my 2007 Prius for a about a month and a half. The car has 290,000 miles on it.

When I bought it, I was told the hybrid battery was weak and would need replacing soon. Over the month and a half that I've driven it, the battery rarely held a full charge, would drain quickly if the accelerator was pressed for more than a few seconds, and the display would flicker occasionally.

The other day while driving, I started braking and the engine made an unholy screeching/shuddering noise. The VSC light came on, along with the master warning light and "maintenance required" symbol. The car stopped accelerating and came to a stop on the side of the road where the battery was shown to be fully discharged. My emergency flashers were working, but after a while the display started flickering and then went dead, the vehicle door locks stopped working, the interior light wouldn't come on, and I was unable to even turn the car off. The gear knob refused to go past "neutral" the whole time. It then died completely.

My question is, is this definitely a hybrid system issue? I have no money to take the car to have it diagnosed or tested (taking a bus away from my car's location drained my bank account) but I do have the guy I purchased the car from who is willing to help. Our current thought process is to replace some dead battery cells instead of the whole battery as it sits in order to avoid the extra cost. Is this feasible? Will the car function after the cells are replaced, or is it totally dead as it sits without a new battery? We have a multimeter available for use to test the individual cells, if that makes a difference.

I appreciate all help. Again, I hate to deter the "take the car in to have it serviced" responses, but right now financially, that is not an option at all. A dealer already told me it would be a $3000 fix for a new battery.

Thanks!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    is there any oil in the engine?

3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The description of events does not suggest to be a battery failure.

Best case scenario, a failed inverter pump. To check if this is the case, check the am2 fuse in the engine compartment fuse box. If the fuse is blown, you probably have a failed pump.

Worst case scenario, a failed transaxle or inverter

Raytheeagle likes this.
  4. pcb18

pcb18 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    It's about 1,000 miles overdue for an oil change, and the oil light was flashing occasionally before it stopped. I wasn't neglecting it, I was actually gonna take it in over the weekend. It's low, but not empty.

5. pcb18

pcb18 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I was wondering this too, but before it stopped, the hybrid system warning light with the car and the exclamation point came on. It stopped on me one other time before, but I restarted it after a 5-10 minute wait. Each time it's happened, the battery shows as being completely drained and empty.

6. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Oh hell, low oil would definitely kill the engine. A car with 290k miles would use oil and it has to be replenished often

7. pcb18

pcb18 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Pardon my ignorance, I'm not all that familiar with the mechanical aspects of cars. If it is an oil problem, will changing the oil out as it sits do anything, or is the car pretty much a paperweight?

8. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If the engine failed because of a lack of oil, it's now a big paperweight until you get another engine and possibly another hv battery.

Lucky for you, engines are fairly cheap but labor is going to cost about $1500

9. Mavi

Mavi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Buy a techstream vci for $20 on amazon ans pull some codes.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  10. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The VSC light came on, along with the master warning light and "maintenance required" symbol. The car stopped accelerating and came to a stop on the side of the road where the battery was shown to be fully discharged. My emergency flashers were working, but after a while the display started flickering and then went dead, the vehicle door locks stopped working, the interior light wouldn't come on, and I was unable to even turn the car off. The gear knob refused to go past "neutral" the whole time. It then died completely.

I'm curious about these symptoms. Kind of sounds like the 12v drained during this ordeal. How long were the flashers going before everything died? 5 minutes? 30? 60? Just curious if it was long enough to completely drain the 12v battery. You may want to take that multimeter and make sure the 12v system is restored prior to further work to ensure you have accurate indications for troubleshooting.

My initial impression is that an HV battery does not typically experience a catastrophic failure, so I suspect the problem is elsewhere. .

It's about 1,000 miles overdue for an oil change, and the oil light was flashing occasionally before it stopped. I wasn't neglecting it

This may be in the top 5 funniest things I've read for 2018......
    For future reference....oil light flashing = no oil pressure in engine. Sometimes this results in catastrophic failure, like a connecting rod protruding through an engine block, or pistons seizing in cylinders. I hope it's not that serious for you. Step one is to get the codes read. Find out what the car is trying to tell you before you go throwing parts at it.

11. pcb18

pcb18 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I believe I'll do that.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  12. j12piprius

j12piprius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The first thing to do is add oil and make sure you have enough oil in the car.