1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius c's battery should store 3x energy

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by highroller, Apr 10, 2014.

1. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I'm going to try and answer your questions in order:
    1) No, Toyota seems intent on staying with their battery technology (with the exception of a trial with the PIP (which I consider a joke of a Plug-in, come on 13 miles...).) With the patents finally expiring on NiCD, Toyota "may" be able to weasel more out of these batteries. It'll be interesting to see. They are definitely more hardy than Litium, but don't have the power output capabilities of Lithium.
    2) Then why were they able to make the PIP work off the same technology with just a battery change?
    3) We already have a motor that is bigger than we need. It's been documented that our electric motor is capable of more power output. More torque and more horsepower. The only reason they don't allow full capabilities is that the battery would be drawn upon too much and drain to empty much quicker.
    4) I understand that the "range" comes from the battery and the motor working together. When I'm driving 55 (which is most of the time), my engine is recharging my battery anyhow, so why not gain the benefit of being able to do back roads at higher throttle for longer?
    5) This was never in dispute.
    6) Not disputing this.
    7) I considered it, but the range wasn't long enough for me to be able to drive my 85 mile commute daily (when I purchased the car, I now have a 6 mile commute and wish that I had gotten the LEAF, but I still love my C.) I emailed Nissan and asked them to extend the range, but it's not happened yet. It is, however, on the drawing board for the 2015 LEAF... so there is that.

I'm not saying there won't be some losses, I've already conceded that the efficiency will be less on the electric motor. I just think that the benefits would outweigh the disadvantages.

2. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    So what you are really saying is: "Don't confuse me with facts. My mind is made up."

I think you are wrong.
    So do the Engineers at Toyota, Ford, GM, Honda and every other maker of true hybrid vehicles.
    Maybe you should send them a job application along with your theories of hybrid vehicle design. :)

3. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It's not a given that a larger battery would provide an increase in power. The voltage is the same, and the amperage consumed is controlled by the computer. There's no reason for the computer to change its programming with a bigger battery. The electric motors and drive-train are designed to run within safe parameters, therefore nothing is likely to change with a larger battery of the same voltage.

4. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I may be wrong, but I don't think it's an issue of facts. There may be something dealing with costs of the batteries as to why Toyota, Ford, GM and Honda and every other maker hasn't done it... GM is the closest to being the most practical Hybrid, but it does require a plug.

We'll just have to agree to disagree when it comes to conceptual engineering that will never come about.

Any thoughts on the rest of my comments? Or just this one that you don't agree with?

Except that it is a given. Toyota has written in their white paper that they limited the output power of the electric motor because of the battery. They gave the Prius v the full usage of the electric motors power band because it has a larger battery.

#84 ztanos, Jun 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2014
  5. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If that were so, how would replacing the battery, change the computer programming?

What you say is like putting in a larger fuel tank and expecting more power from the engine. It's only the range that increases.

#85 GregP507, Jun 29, 2014
  6. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I mentioned earlier that Toyota should do the battery, not a do-it-yourselfer. If the car came with the bigger battery, I wouldn't need to change the map as Toyota would have done it.

7. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It should be obvious by now that changing the battery size will have no effect the actual power output of the vehicle. For that, the computer needs reprogramming. That can be done with or without upgrading the battery.

8. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I understand now why nobody bothers with you... you don't listen.

You know what else is a fact? Tesla is less efficient than a LEAF, but it goes farther... let that blow your mind for a minute.

#88 ztanos, Jun 30, 2014
  9. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Do you also understand "ironic" ?? :whistle:

10. Troy Heagy

Troy Heagy Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    The Prius G3 and C motors are capable of drawing a Lot more current, but the high current draw would damage the battery.

As for the lithium battery, you will find the Prius V in Europe has been upgraded to the new chemistry. It doesn't appear to have any other changes except reprogramming the software.

11. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    And the wiring and the control circuitry........and maybe require additional cooling for the motor too.

12. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    That's funny coming from you, Mr. The Eco Line means nothing, lol.

I'm listening, but so far all you say is that because nobody has done it, it must not be able to be done. Give me reasons. I've told you why I think it would work, you just keep telling me that it won't work or they would have done it.

I've even given you an example of two cars... one with lesser efficiency, yet yielding a greater range. But you didn't comment on that.

Besides, I've never said anything other than this "should" happen. It's a wet-dream that would need battery tech to make either battery prices drop, or energy density to rise significantly in order to happen. Doesn't mean I can't want it though.

#92 ztanos, Jun 30, 2014
  13. Troy Heagy

Troy Heagy Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    If you want more battery just buy a Tesla.... or Volt. Or Accord plugin. ;)

14. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Don't need that much battery. ;)