1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Daytime Running Lights

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Leonard, Nov 21, 2006.

1. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Ron,

You are confusing the difference between Watts (power) and Watt-Hours (energy). 110 watts used for one hour is 110 watt-hours.

At highway speed (assume 60 mph here) a Prius uses about 200 Watt-Hours of energy per mile so for 60 miles that is 12 kilowatt-hours. In that hour your DRLs used 110 watt hours which is a 1.1% increase due to the DRLs. That means the DRLs at 55 watts each (high current drain for a DRL) cost you about 1 MPG at highway speed.

JeffD

2. Whiteyprius

Whiteyprius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    We're splittin'hairs here. Sure we all want better mileage, but it has been documented a'plenty that turning your lights on is a good defensive drive move. I leave my lights on all the time, and I'm glad that Toyota was smart enough to make them cut off when you shut down the engine and open the door:)

3. Jiipa

Jiipa MGySgt USMC (Ret)

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    When driving lights were first introduced I noticed them. Now that they have become commonplace I don't really notice a car with them anymore than one without.

4. timriley

timriley Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Thank you so much for this post! We just bought a 2009 Touring Prius (Package#6) for use in the U.S., but we plan to move to Canada in one year's time. We were told that our Prius has an EIS immobilization system on it, but I got anxious reading about the lack of DRLights that are required to pass inspection in Canada. This kit should do the trick AND allows us to kee pour HIDs!

5. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Hey, I just noticed something . . . nobody ever 'welcome'-ed leonard.
    "What? Welcome who?" you say?
    You know . . . Leonard . . . the person who started the thread over 40 posts ago? Nearly TWO years ago? Their one & only post? I wonder if all this 'tado' regarding DLR's was for nothing :lol:

6. SPEEDEAMON

SPEEDEAMON Professional Car Nut

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I'm so glad my Prius has no DRL's. I hated them on my GMC Yukon (not to mention the 12 to 14mpg). I know I intimidated a lot of folks coming up from behind, DRL's blazing into their rearview mirror. A tactic used on the infamous 405 to get lane-hoggers going 60mph on the fast lane to move over. :rant:Those were the days. Now I cruise in the slow lane.

I now have a choice of turning the headlight switch on when I think its appropriate and not have it on all the time.

7. jonjonbear

jonjonbear New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    When your expensive HID bulbs fail as a result of them being turned on and off all the time, you will wish you hadn't. Search the forums for folks who have had early failures, and most were using their headlamps as DRL's.

John

8. Grashwi

Grashwi New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I just installed this kit and it worked AWESOME. Great instructions and everything worked as expected. VERY satisfied.

9. BurntWaffle69

BurntWaffle69 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I like DRLs, and It makes driving so much easier. I can recall numerous times I pull out in front of someone because I don't see them since they have no lights on. Studies show you are more than likely to notice something that's illuminated than something that's the same brightness of the background.

I know in some states if you don't have your DRL or Headlights on, and someone hits you, the driver without their lights on is at fault for not making themselves visable to traffic.

And that's the way it should be. Safety first. :)

10. magnumrtawd

magnumrtawd Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I also installed these on my 08 touring. Simple and work great.