1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Death codes off and on

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by ContainsJuice, Oct 24, 2021.

Tags:
  1. ContainsJuice

ContainsJuice Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    One
    So for the past couple months now my 06 prius decided to kill its already replaced HV battery. As per usual I went in and replaced the bad cells and actually replaced bus bars and nuts with nickel plated, as well as cleaned and inspected all surfaces for corrosion. After that no issues and a seemingly healthy battery. During the end of the summer however, the red triangle came up with a P0A80 code. Checked everything and monitored Temps and contuined since it seemed fine. Then it turned off by itself. Temps were all good again and no issues. It has turned off and on again until now, right as I was about to sell it thinking it was still good. The codes are the same but it still let's me ready and all Temps are good. Just checked all modules and all are good, no corrosion, no bad fuses, and no bad connections. I'm just stumped at this point.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how are you testing the modules?

3. ContainsJuice

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Just a simple voltage meter. Once with the battery at load after taking it out and once with the voltage released. Nothing too official of course because of my situation

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you probably need a more standardized test with tech stream, or maybe dr. prius. there may be a way to load test the modules individually with a light bulb iirc.

5. ContainsJuice

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    One
    In the beginning I was using Dr Prius actually. I have the hv battery out now so I can't run the car at the moment but when I was monitoring it I noticed the only issue was block 12 had a 33 resistance

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i have read that as you let the battery sit unused, the delta between cells becomes greater.

otoh, if it's a corrosion problem somewhere, it will require more hunting and pecking

7. ContainsJuice

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Gotcha, it's sat over night and I just checked each module again and they are all at 7.9v. I fished around for corrosion and it looks like nothing is out of the ordinary or corroded. I'll do some more hunting

8. ContainsJuice

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    One
    So after an hour of testing I got some results. First all Temps have been golden, however sometime will truly show that. For the first few minutes of driving it dropped to 19% charge which was scary but nothing else happened and it recalibrated. After that I noticed the delta soc went from 0-94% which I am not too familiar with so if that's an issue let me know. Any help would be appreciated and thank you above for the initial help!

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    what are you reading the trouble codes with?

10. ContainsJuice

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Dr. Prius and a bluetooth scanner

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model: