1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius dented - How Bad?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by wjtracy, Jul 27, 2018.

1. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    We got hit mildly (nobody hurt) by someone pulling out of parking space, so the other driver's insurance has agreed to cover. How bad considering car is worth approx $4500? Our main goal would be get the car back to best trade-in value as we can envision replacing (our beloved) vehicle within next 6 to 12 months.

Looks like we have rear door dents and quarter panel, presumably the bumper scratch is superficial.

IMG_3006 (1).JPG

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    We had a very minor tap in the same area, just dimpled this zone:

upload_2018-7-27_10-45-50.png

And that came to about $3200 (CDN). I'd guess you're looking at $3500~4000 (US) for yours?

Our shop did it right, pulled everything out as much as possible, blended out paint onto adjacent panels. Completely seamless repair.

wjtracy likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    totalled

wjtracy likes this.
  4. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If it were an option I would take the money and put it in my pocket.

wjtracy likes this.
  5. egg_salad

egg_salad Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I'd take the money then ask what the buyback is. It might be stupid cheap, then you keep driving the car as long as you can. At trade-in time, sell it for a couple grand instead of trading it in.

wjtracy likes this.
  6. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I was assuming that it is not totalled and the car could be driven as normal. With the money in your pocket you could do some minor repairs to the damaged area to make it look better. Those black marks removed would be a big step and find a white door and install it yourself.
    Paintless dent repair could pop that place out on the dog leg all these are cheap fixes.
    I see doors on ebay for $200.

7. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    We just got a $2000 prelim. estimate from insurance adjuster. Now we have to make appointment with the body shop who will say if they agree with or not. I guess we can keep the check if we want but we think we want to fix it. Maybe I call a Toyota salesman and ask for recommendation. Maybe they give us a stinky trade-in value even if good condition, in which case, why bother?

#7 wjtracy, Jul 31, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
  8. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I'm sure you will make a decision you can live with. Things like this are very upsetting and emotional and once it is over and you look back at it will just be a hiccup in the road, then move on with your life.

9. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    This is rep of the insurance company, seems lowball. It could be a US vs CDN price variation, but I suspect any competent/responsible body shop would say at least 50% more. Then they argue I guess.

Walking through a Rona parking lot the other evening (it's wonderful being walking distance from a hardware store lol), a silver Civic drove by, and I noticed right away: there was a definite transition in colour, between the driver's and adjacent rear passenger door. That's the extra $1000~1500, the effort to do it right, blend in the colour, and so on.

10. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    We are not too hung up on it, just inexpereinced so not sure the best strategies...
    lately every week something goes wrong with our house or a car

bisco likes this.
  11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i know the feeling. if the other insurance company is paying the whole bill, what's the issue?

wjtracy likes this.
  12. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Depends on what they acknowledge to be the "whole bill"? $2000 seems low. Hopefully "preliminary" means they're willing to go higher. If you go cheap it'll show.

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    in ma, they have to pay what a shop will charge, or vice versa.

14. johnjohnchu

johnjohnchu Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Too bad you are no where near southern California. My car recently had very similar dents, including rear bumper, and rear passenger side door, and opened up quarter panel like a sardine can. Local body shops all quoted around $4500. I took the car to Tijuana in Mexico to get it repaired for around $250, which also included labor tipping and painting the entire rear bumper, quarter panel, and rear door to match the original color. The entire job took 2 people around 8 hours each to complete. They did an OK job. It shows a little only if you look extremely carefully and know where the repair is.

#14 johnjohnchu, Jul 31, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
    egg_salad likes this.
  15. BeccaW

BeccaW New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    #johnjohnchu can you (or others on this thread) recommend a good & inexpensive body shop in Tijuana, where I can get minor dents smoothed out and repainting roof and both bumpers on my 2008 Prius? Thank you!