1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius 'Dino' body kit on ebay

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by BerkshirePrius, Dec 6, 2008.

1. BerkshirePrius

BerkshirePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
  2. KAR IDEA

KAR IDEA Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I just checked a couldn't find a pic, but the sellers feedback is pretty good...folks seem satisfied with their product.

3. jelloslug

jelloslug It buffed right out!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Fiberglass, bad idea for a bodykit.

4. PaulHS

PaulHS Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    BerkshirePrius,

I notice you have Centerline Neutron wheels. At the Centerline site, I've been unable to find wheels for the Prius at all. How did you choose your wheels? Thanks.

:focus:

5. BerkshirePrius

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    My Peugeot 405 Mi16 has had a fiberglass body kit on it for years now with no problems, and what about the Corvette?

6. BerkshirePrius

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I chose the "Celica, Corolla, Matrix" catergory. 5x100mm bolt circle. I previously had Celica wheels on my Prius, so I knew they would work, backspacing is not identical though. The wheels are 'offset' toward the outside of the car less than 1/2" more than stock (barely noticeable). This gives the car a slightly wider 'footprint' and IMO improves the stablity and handling. Another benefit is the added clearance for 195-205 width tires. Hope this helps...

7. PaulHS

PaulHS Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you very much! Yes, you've been extremely helpful. I would be very hesitant to get wheels that don't explicitly state that they will fit the Prius.

8. BerkshirePrius

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    If you're going to buy Centerline, check out Jeg's or Summit. They regularly have them on sale and are actually cheaper than buying them direct. Also keep in mind that you will have to buy new lug nuts. Centerline uses taper seat nuts, while the Prius has flat seat nuts with a washer.

9. jelloslug

jelloslug It buffed right out!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The Prius is a low car anyway, now add a fiberglass bodykit that will hang lower and it will be cracked in no time. Urethane is a much better materal for body kits since it is flexible.

10. cairo94507

cairo94507 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Typically after-market fiberglass body kits are poor quality. Factory fiberglass, like the corvette, are panels designed from scratch to be the body of the car and reinforced/designed to withstand the stresses of daily driving. After market fiberglass rarely approaches that level of design work.

11. sorka

sorka Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    SMC used in corvette paneling is note even remotely similar to fiberglass. About the only thing they have in common is the fact that neither are metallic.

12. BerkshirePrius

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Are you even serious? Sheet Molding Compound is fiberglass. In fact, it is a fiberglass reinforced thermosetting compound manufactured by dispersing long stands (>1â€) of chopped glass fibers on a bath of polyester resin. Basically, the only difference between SMC and 'conventional' fiberglass is in the manufacturing. Hand laid or chopped strand sprayed vs. press molded.
    Yes, SMC is superior in strength and tolerances, but it is still made with glass fibers and polyester resin. By the way, how long has the Corvette been using SMC panels? It will be curious to see what the Chinese do when they purchase GM...

13. BerkshirePrius

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    IMO, fiberglass has it's advantages. I have seen urethane body kits that tend to warp and distort because of it's inherent flexibility. Glass just looks 'better' to me and it is easier and cheaper to repair if you do crack it or tear out a chunk. Damage can and will happen, regardless of material. I didn't want to get into a debate over this, I only wanted to know if anyone has seen pic's of one of these kits installed...

14. Player10

Player10 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I have the kit call Ecore installed and I liked it.

15. 13Plug

13Plug Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Just a thought... can you add more fiberglass to the back of the front bumper before you install it for additional support? Just double it's thickness and voila, stronger bumper....

Yes.... ? No... ?