1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius doors locked and engine running(power on).

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by randylecc, Dec 3, 2006.

1. randylecc

randylecc New Member

Maybe this is on the forum somewhere but I couldn't find it.

I wanted to leave my Prius powered-on on a cold winter day to keep my dogs warm. I kept getting defeated by the feature that prevents the doors from being locked when you get out of the vehicle with the engine running.

I finally stumbled on this method. Power-on the Prius. Get out and shut the door. Lock the door with the key(not the remote lock, the little key in the Smart Key fob.) You will have to unlock the door with the key as well.

The temperature stays at about 50 degrees with the temperature setting on LO.

This is working well for me but I wonder if anyone knows of a reason why it might be detrimental to the Prius?

Thanks!

1 person likes this.
  2. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RandyMaine @ Dec 3 2006, 09:52 AM) [snapback]356931[/snapback]</div>
    One thing that occurs to me is that someone notices a car running, breaks a window, jumps in and drives off.

3. randylecc

randylecc New Member

Yes, I careful where I leave it running. Plus the two dogs are probably a deterrent.

4. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RandyMaine @ Dec 3 2006, 10:19 AM) [snapback]356939[/snapback]</div>
    Other than that, I don't believe leaving it sitting like that should hurt anything. I'm planning on doing something similar for home power in case of ice storms, floods etc., with my Prius.

5. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    It won't hurt anything - so long as the car is in park. The ICE will turn on as needed, the car will take care of itself. HOWEVER, don't leave it in neutral. if you do that, the ICE won't come on to recharge the batteries, which can be bad.

6. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I do this all the time for quick-stop errands. Avoids the whole
    warmup-cycle of engine running after another power-up. Having to
    use the physical key is mildly annoying but the car *is* trying to
    make sure I don't lock myself out. I looked into mods to allow
    using the RF clicker while powered on, but the functionality to
    ignore it is buried deep in the body-ECU code so I gave up on