1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius emergency maintenance kit

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by dwreed3rd, Jul 17, 2008.

1. dwreed3rd

dwreed3rd New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Is there one or has anyone considered putting a little kit together like I've seen available for other cars, with a selection of items that you may not find readily available. Items like fuses or regular maintenance items like the cabin air filter. Just a thought' I really don't know what would be applicable, but a full set of fuses would be a good start. Maybe even a good set of jumper cables that would be suitable for the Prius. The cabin air filter would be convienent. You might be more apt to change it and reorder one for the kit. These are just some ideas. I've usually put one together for each of my cars over the years. Not as necessary today as cars have become more reliable over the years. But the Prius is a new breed. And as the Prius becomes more popular in new areas, the local auto supply shops, even the dealers, may take time to catch up to it's unique requirements.
    Just a thought! I think it would sell in PriusShop! I'd but one, assuming it was reasonably priced. BT Tech could put one together since they probably have most of the parts in stock anyway.

2. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    These are good choices, but I would say instead a "bad" set of jumper cables. You do not want the capacity to transfer 100 amps. We have discussed inline fuses and blocking diodes to make jumpers better suited to Prius.

Spare headlight bulb unless you are HID.

A tire pressure gauge unless already onhand (and being used!)

A red reflector triangle, because those 4-way flashers are going to run for surprisingly few hours from the 12 v battery alone.

Flashlight. Everybody needs 1 (2, 3,...)

Little piece of paper with your VIN and Toyota's emergency assistance numbers, wrapped around some quarters. This is what you take with you walking to the pay phone.

3. dwreed3rd

dwreed3rd New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Good additions! Re: the jumpers. I tried to qualify "suitable for the Prius". Your comment is what I was trying to address. With clamps on one end, compatible to the Prius' jumper conections, and the other end for conventional cars. Fuses polarity protection circuits, diodes, whatever would make them safer for use on the Prius. Perhaps a marketable product on it's own.

Thanks for the input. Hopefully someone will pick up on the idea. I can't help but believe there would be a market for the.

4. dandeman

dandeman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The battery booster/air compressor at this link Clore Automotive goes in the Prius when we take any long trips..

It provides backup for 2 possible Prius vulnerabilties... i.e. the small 12 volt battery in case it were to run down, and the compressor, in case of tire problems.. given that the spare is not a full size.. I have picked up nails in tires on other vehicles and many times, it is much safer to temporarily pump up the tire enough to get the vehicle to a better place for tire changing..

This is a nice unit, especially the air compressor, plenty of air volume and has an internal fan to keep it cool while running.

I also use it to keep my GPS powered on a trip so it doesn't shut down every time I stop the car for gas/food.. For tracking GPSs, this keeps the daily track all on one segment.

It comes with a current limiting cord you can plug into the vehicle's cigarette lighter to keep it charged while enroute.

5. Ichiro

Ichiro Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius