1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Engine and Suspension M0dz?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by priusstreetracerFTW, Jun 20, 2006.

1. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusstreetracerFTW @ Jun 20 2006, 06:32 PM) [snapback]274328[/snapback]</div>
    A bit more than 10sec. I am sure you can find the exact number from Toyota's website.

2. yps1rc

yps1rc New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusstreetracerFTW @ Jun 20 2006, 05:32 PM) [snapback]274328[/snapback]</div>
    I took my Prius to the track and managed to run a flat 12...No modz no NOS. Don't know if that helps?

3. Anubis

Anubis New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ScottY @ Jun 20 2006, 04:23 PM) [snapback]274321[/snapback]</div>

Three weeks ago I raced my brother's brand new Prius (Black 2006 Package #6 - purchased 1st week of June) with my mom's BMW Z3. Two brothers in the Prius equalling about 400 lbs of passenger weight and my mom & me in her BMW equalling about 330 lbs passenger weight.

Off the line, the BMW walked away from the Prius. At the next light, I waited until the Prius' rear end was passing the front tire of the BMW before I dumped the clutch on my mom's BMW. I wrapped the engine, speed-shifted and chirped the tires through most of the gears while the Prius was still walking away from me. By about 60 MPH the BMW began to catch up, but by then we both figured we'd best not go too fast since we were on a main street with a 40 MPH speed limit...

Needless to say, I was impressed and bought a Prius as well. It finally arrived on Saturday (Barcelona Red 2006 Package #8)! Woo-hoo! :D

4. GasGuzzler87

GasGuzzler87 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(yps1rc @ Jun 20 2006, 10:07 PM) [snapback]274486[/snapback]</div>
    that has to be a 1/8th mile track. No prius can run the 1/4th in 12 secconds. Hell my car runs it in low 15s.

5. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Anubis @ Jun 21 2006, 01:54 AM) [snapback]274527[/snapback]</div>
    From paper, the Prius won't beat the M3. The spec is measured under ideal conditions (I assumed). But in real life, the driver (esp. with manual) will make a big difference.

6. Anubis

Anubis New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ScottY @ Jun 21 2006, 07:22 AM) [snapback]274605[/snapback]</div>
    Oh, don't get me wrong, I agree completely. I was just surprised and delighted that the Prius had more "oomfph" than the golf cart I had thought it might be.

You are correct, the Z3 DEFINITELY has more off-the-line and high-end torque (OKay, and mid-range as well ;) ). I was just commenting on how nicely the Prius performed in our "let's have a laugh and drag race with the hybrid" joke-competition.

I'm sure that my driving (of the Z3) was a bit suspect as I recall wondering if he was going to slow down soon and so I kept my foot a bit back from the throttle before we 'officially' decided to slow back down (a block later).

Driving my new Prius vs. driving my mom's Z3, I'm still pleased to note that the Prius still has as much or more acceleration performance than my old minivan (which still had some nice pick-up). My mom's Z3 is more of a speed performer compared to the Prius which is more of an economy performer. Neither is the absolute best in their respective categories (the Prius is closer!), but as affordable, available and everyday driving machines, my mom and I are both very happy with our cars! B)

7. Priwes

Priwes New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(yps1rc @ Jun 20 2006, 11:07 PM) [snapback]274486[/snapback]</div>
    maybe a flat 12 60' time :lol:

8. Anubis

Anubis New Member

My brother and I are going to the Midnight Races this Friday night and will be racing our respective Prii. Another of my brothers recommended that if we get to race several times (depending on how many racers show up) that my Prius brother and I swap cars. That way, we can tell if it's the driver or the car that is faster than the other.

I don't know if we'll be able to get it done before the race (we both work), but I'd like to also weigh the cars (with us in them) to see how big of a weight difference there is. Since my brother weighs a bit more, we may try to adjust the amount of gasoline in our tanks to make up for the weight difference (I run on a full tank, he runs on a quarter tank) if that will do it. Or, perhaps I can stick some bricks in my cargo tray in the back end.

In the end, we probably won't even bother with all that -- we'll just fill up the day before and then race Friday night.

I'm very curious to see what these will get in the 1/4 mile... 18s? 17s? 15s? Or like yps1rc mentioned, 12s? I can't imagine it would pull 12s, my other brother's souped-up Monte does low 14s and that thing sets you back in your seat off the line (of course, it is a heavy battle cruiser, too).

So, I'll let you know what my brother and I find out Friday night.

9. troe

troe New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusstreetracerFTW @ Jun 20 2006, 05:32 PM) [snapback]274328[/snapback]</div>
    0 to 60 in 10 sec. Not bad for an economy car but not a viper killer.

[​IMG]

10. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Assuming you're not worried about fuel economy or warranty issues, you might look into replacing the ICE with a warmed-over Toyota Echo engine. :)

11. 240sxer

240sxer New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(toyo proxes ra-1 rubber @ Jun 20 2006, 10:49 AM) [snapback]274143[/snapback]</div>
    I have a Corvette Z06 and a 700hp 240sx (racecar). The prius is slow but I managed to run a 18.1@75mph at an elevation of 2880ft. That was with a 2.8 60ft. The prius comes off of the line really slow because of the delay for the ICE turning on. One of my old 240sxs ran a 17.1@77mph. The prius has the top-end of probably a mid/low 17 car. I'm sure at lower elevation it would be more of a 17.8 car on the track. That is seriously not all that slow. I KNOW fast cars, my Corvette does 12.4s and my 240sx does 10s. For a *normal* car it's pretty average.

What 1.5 liter car with only 8 valves with 70hp runs faster than 18s? My friend's 1.3 liter 63hp 1650lbs Festiva has almost 70hp, is REALLY light, and my Prius wiped the floor with his car when we raced.

12. Recovering Gas Guzzler

Guys, I just got back from driving my 2005 Prius and 2004 M3 back to back. There is absolutely no way that the Prius could beat the M3 to 60 unless the driver of the M3 can't shift into second. :D

Late-model (2001 to 2006) M3's are rated 0-60 in 4.8 seconds (with some tests saying 4.6 and others 5.2, but you get the point). The Prius takes twice as long to get to 60.

That said, I have both cars because they each serve a purpose. The Prius is the ideal commuter and the M3 is the ideal, practical "fun" car for the times I don't want to worry about my mileage (18 mpg average).

13. tnthub

tnthub Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Actually, a buddy of mine has a 2002 Z06. He has dipped into the 11.5's at 119... It is stock with the following changes: Drag Radials and cold air intake. He used to post on corvetteforum but lost interest. The Z06 is an 11 second ride out of the box. You have more in yours... ;)

14. 240sxer

240sxer New Member

It's 12.4s at 2800ft. At sea level it should be around 11.8 or so. Plus the track has no prep and my tires are crap. I've been thinking about putting a 75shot on it though and DRs just so I can do 11s out here on street tires. I'm on some toyo proxies that aren't as good as the stock eagle F1 supercar tires.

There is no way a prius will come close to ANYTHING related to performance of an M3. You could give the prius a 5 second head start and the M3 would still get to 60 first ;) My vette is rated at 0-60 in 3.9 seconds. The prius isnt all that slow of a car, but it's not a racecar either. As far as "sports cars" go it's not close to even the slowest. As far as "normal 4cyl" sedans go it's comperable.

It's 12.4s at 2800ft. At sea level it should be around 11.8 or so. Plus the track has no prep and my tires are crap. I've been thinking about putting a 75shot on it though and DRs just so I can do 11s out here on street tires. I'm on some toyo proxies that aren't as good as the stock eagle F1 supercar tires.

There is no way a prius will come close to ANYTHING related to performance of an M3. You could give the prius a 5 second head start and the M3 would still get to 60 first ;) My vette is rated at 0-60 in 3.9 seconds. The prius isnt all that slow of a car, but it's not a racecar either. As far as "sports cars" go it's not close to even the slowest. As far as "normal 4cyl" sedans go it's comperable.

15. molgrips

molgrips Member

If you keep your foot on the brake and dab the throttle, the ICE comes on for about a second, then goes off. So you could do this a second before you want to go. I've tried this at junctions a couple of times, but it's hard to get the timing right. I'm sure it'd come with a bit of practice tho :)

16. jimmyhua

jimmyhua New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GasGuzzler87 @ Jun 21 2006, 06:31 PM) [snapback]274549[/snapback]</div>
    I think the guy who posted 12 seconds, meant he made 0-60 in 12 seconds. On the Toyota website, they claim Prius can do 0-60 in about 10.9 seconds.

On a quarter-mile, it takes longer, probably about 18 seconds, but I don't have access to a 1/4 mile track.

So Anubis, What did you find out? What's the quarter mile time for a Prius? Off the starting line, was the ICE running or not?

Jimmy

17. tnthub

tnthub Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jimmyhua @ Jul 23 2006, 01:47 PM) [snapback]291021[/snapback]</div>
    As a very general estimate of 1/4 mile time, use the ET from a 1/8 mile track and multiply by 1.55 and that should put you within a tenth or so...

18. Anubis

Anubis New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jimmyhua @ Jul 23 2006, 11:47 AM) [snapback]291021[/snapback]</div>
    Well, my brother and I both tried different ways out the chute at first. I held my foot on the brake and the other throttling the engine. The ICE did not rev high, but I did get it to keep running at a medium RPM. It seemed after a moment to reduce power to the wheels (but no lights on the dash went on).

Anyway, my brother kept telling everyone he figured he'd get mid- to high-17s, whereas I, having read through PriusChat extensively, understood that we'd be in mid-18s.

See results here: [attachmentid=4229]
    Race 1 & 2: I held my foot on the brake and pushed the gas pedal simultaneously. Also, having never raced before, I was busy watching the guy who was still giving me guidance directions rather than watching the Tree. After the end of race 2, I asked my brother what happened (he started out, but then almost stopped right after he started before taking off again). He told me he was using his Parking Brake rather than his brake pedal and forgot to press it the second time so it would release when he let his foot off it. His foot was still on it from the first time he pressed it down (as you know, our parking brakes are press on, press off).

Earlier, we also discussed the loss of power that might happen if the battery runs completely out and one is left with only the ICE for power at the end of the strip, so my brother sat and sweat in his car (it was hot that evening) rather than have the A/C on. I have never run out of battery bars, but my brother says he has (driving up to ski resorts to see what the car can do). So, I played around while sitting in line waiting for the next race (I turned on my A/C), and discovered that if I put the car in Drive and push the gas pedal (while still pushing on the brake pedal so the car doesn't go anywhere), the batteries will charge - rather quickly. I got full Green bars by doing this (I did this before each race).

The last three races, I tried his method of using the Parking Brake. It was tough because the Prius will drive right through that brake (at full throttle), so I was busy experimenting with how far to back off the gas to allow the parking brake to hold me in place.

Well anyway, there you are, from a couple of amateur racers (my brother has never raced before either, he has always been the Pit guy for another brother of mine who sometimes races a Monte Carlo).

19. tnthub

tnthub Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What was different about the second pass in the red Prius...? The sixty foot time is nearly a tenth better than any other pass. A good sixty foot time is the entire key to a consistent car. I find it difficult to assume you were spinning the tires.

Also, was there anyone there with a weatherstation? The DA can create significant changes in elapsed time, often up to half a second... Based on what I am looking at on your time slips I believe it is entirely possible for a stock Prius to dip into the high 17 second range.

20. Anubis

Anubis New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tnthub @ Jul 24 2006, 09:15 AM) [snapback]291405[/snapback]</div>
    On the first run, I unwittingly drove through the "water" (whatever that liquid stuff is on the ground before the starting line so racers can "burn" their tires to give them more traction). I noticed that I kept feeling as though I was driving on ice or hydroplaning during that first run, especially near the end of the run (which I thought was really weird).

On the second run, I carefully drove around that "water" patch.

After that, my brother and I figured that there was enough of that moisture trailing on the track from all the racers (about 200 cars) that it might be affecting our later runs (I noticed a feeling of almost hydroplaning in the second 1/2 of the quarter mile on later runs, just like in my first run). I also noticed that I couldn't easily drive around that "water" patch in later runs (it had spread to both edges of the lanes).

Could this have been what made the difference?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tnthub) [snapback]291405[/snapback]</div>
    I'm not sure what a weatherstation or a DA is (I'm a racing newbie here :) ). I know it was hot out there, about 104 degrees Farenheit during the day, about 101 during our first race at 10pm, down to about 92 degrees during our last race at 1:45am.

The altitude at Rocky Mountain Raceway is about 4400 ft above sea level.

Is this the info you were after?