1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

PRIUS ENGINE CAN'T SHUT DOWN

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Dxta, Jun 10, 2017.

1. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    everyone. I have for a serious issue with my 2008 Prius "babe".
    I was going to a grocery store to get some stuff for my little boy today, and suddenly, when I decided to shut off the engine by pressing the start/stop button, it just refused to off. No lights were coming on the dashboard, only the battery indicator light.
    I disconnected the aux battery +be terminal to see if it would go off, but it just refused my " gesture".
    What could be the reason 1) the dashboard was dark without any indicator lights showing?; 2) hiw can I get the engine of the Prius to go off?; 3) is there any lasting solution to this problem?

Appreciate your replies greatly.

2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  3. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If I remember right, you should be able to get it to shut off by pressing and holding the power button. Most likely, the next time you start it up, it will probably work correctly. If it's the combo meter failing, it's typically very intermittent. I had it happen once on my son's 2005, and that was almost 2 years ago. Hasn't happened since.

Data Daedalus, bisco and SFO like this.
  4. Data Daedalus

Data Daedalus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That's scary! I would be genuinely horrified if that happened to me. Has anyone experienced this recently in the U.K.? I thought this incidence was restricted to earlier models.....or was it just a bad batch of combination meters?

iPhone ?

5. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Next time this happens, hold the start button down for more than three seconds. If your display is not lit, you will need to repair the combination meter.

Data Daedalus likes this.
  6. 'LectroFuel

'LectroFuel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Unplug the 12V battery while the car is running and won't shut down. That kills the car. It seems like it could harm the car, but that's what I did and I didn't have a problem after that. The speedometer wouldn't turn on either when the car wouldn't shut down