1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Engine differences? Gen3 In V?

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by JayRock_PHX, Aug 13, 2019.

1. JayRock_PHX

JayRock_PHX Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    hi

I’m getting some conflicting information.

I need to repair a 2012 Prius v that has a blown HG. I was told that any gen 3 engine will interchange. It’s just the ecu that matters which obviously not changing or anything

So can I get any 2ZR-FXE Engine and be ok?

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I believe 3rd gen Prius and Prius v engines are identical. The transaxle gear ratios vary, but that doesn't matter for engine swap. But wait for a few more responders lol. That said, it's also possible to swap in a 4th gen engine, which can be advantagious, for lower cost, lower miles, and some technical adavantages:

This involves a gen 4 engine, all except the head, transplanted into 3rd gen:

Engine swap question | PriusChat

This involves a full gen 4 engine, transplanted into a Prius v, a video saga:

Swapping in a Gen 4 Prius' 2ZR Engine into the Prius v | PriusChat

The latter swap above reused 3rd gen intake and exhaust and Exhaust Gas Recirculation.

There is just now a fellow doing a similar swap, but attempting to use the 4th gen EGR, and intake manifold. He's also mod'd the (3rd gen) exhaust manifold to connect to the (4th gen) EGR (bent the EGR connection pipe). He's documenting this towards the end of the second link above.

Addendum: revised first link, and edited last sentence (red text).

#2 Mendel Leisk, Aug 13, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
  3. cnc97

cnc97 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I made this comment yesterday, that it seems that it’s just going to be a matter of time before someone figures out how to swap the Gen 4 engine in completely. From no it can’t be done, to how much can I reuse from the Gen 4.

The 2ZR-FXE is mechanically identical from 2010 to 2015. There was a change in head cooling flow for the 2016 head. Hence the redesigned water outlet and pipe. The block is the same.

I’d be willing to bet, that since the compression ratio is varied by the timing solenoid, the 2ZR-FE in the Corolla family is the same block too. I do know the Corolla head for several years used the same water outlet on the back of the head as the Gen 3. I do NOT recommend trying to install the Corolla engine, but people have used the Yaris cams in a Gen 2 head before. I guess that means anything’s possible if you work hard enough at it.

ozjimjam and Mendel Leisk like this.
  4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    @Ragingfit (did the complete swap, with head, on the v) sorted out the coolant circuit variations. Think he used one extra conduit tube (Home Depot purchase), cut a few hoses, and had a few bits left over. My brain cells couldn't completely comprehend, guess it helps to be actually doing it.