1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius engine does not drive

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Frustrated1234, Apr 29, 2020.

1. Frustrated1234

Frustrated1234 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    2004 Prius with 144k. Triangle message. Car drove fine for months after message appeared. Took car off road. Left key inside car assume this drained battery. Car won’t start. Changed battery - 12v. Car started and drove. Car sits for over a year again. This time without key far away from car. Charged 12v battery. Reading on car shows 12v battery only at 11.8. Car engine will not start. Lights work. Radio works, far will shift into neutral but motor is not starting. Jump start car, battery shows at 13 with jumper cables on. Car will not drive. All the lights on the dash are lit. Should I buy a new 12v battery even though it showed over 13 with jumper cables on???

2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PriusChat!!

Sound like the 12v battery could be fine, but you can use a voltmeter at the jump points under the hood on the drivers side.

Most likely the HV battery has given up the ghost from sitting for so long. Do you have any OBD2 codes (DTCs) you can share with us?

Raytheeagle and JC91006 like this.
  3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    try and disconnect the 12v battery for about 10 seconds to reset the car. Reconnect and see if the car starts.

If you're able to start it, shut it down afterwards and try to start it again. If on the 2nd try it won't start, then you have a bigger problem to sort out and it could get expensive.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  4. Frustrated1234

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Had it scanned a couple years ago. There were two codes. One was c2310 and I don’t have a record of the other code. Dealership claims they don’t keep a record either. I thought the car was suppose to run even if the HV battery was shot (which I hope it’s not). It blows my mind because like I said the car has driven fine. It’s just been sitting.......but it has been sitting outside.

I get in car, press break and hit start with key on me or in holder. Break light, triangle, !, abs, skid, check engine lights stay on. LCD screen says problem, sometimes battery light on lcd is on sometimes not. Car picture on lcd is on. Car will not fire up. Could it be inverted pump I keep reading about??

#4 Frustrated1234, Apr 30, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2020
  5. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Check the P CON MAIN fuse which is in the engine room relay block. By check I mean remove the fuse and use an ohmmeter to check it for continuity. It should be 1 Ω or less.

P CON MAIN fuse loc.png

I would check also that there is 12 V on the power side of the fuse holder too.

If that is ok, the other trouble areas are:
    • Transmission control ECU
    • Wire harness or connector (Transmission Control ECU <–> P Con Main Fuse)

#5 dolj, Apr 30, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2020
  6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    @dolj do you know what "P CON" stands for? I did try googling.

Maybe Power CONstant?

7. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The fuse protects the main 12 V supply to the Transmission Control ECU, so Power Control - Main would be my guess.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  8. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Here is the workup for DTC C2310 : https://share.qclt.com/%E4%B8%B0%E7%94%B0%E6%99%AE%E7%91%9E%E6%96%AF%E5%8E%9F%E5%8E%82%E8%8B%B1%E6%96%87%E6%89%8B%E5%86%8Cpdf%E6%A0%BC%E5%BC%8F/Repair%20Manual/04pruisr/05/21age/cic2310.pdf

Some find vehicle diagnosis less challenging by using a hybrid compatible OBD2 scanner, here are a couple of options below:

Many here prefer using a "mini-vci" cable and a copy of techstream (same software the dealer uses) on a windows device with a USB port.

Others use an wifi or bluetooth OBD2 adapter and an App like Dr Prius or Hybrid Assistant, before buying a device read this : Hybrid battery diagnostic and repair tool for Toyota and Lexus

Once you know the codes (DTCs), please post them here for further assistance.

dolj, Raytheeagle and JC91006 like this.
  9. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The 12v battery in a Gen 2 will typically be dead after sitting 2 months due to normal parasitic losses. Depending on hte condition of the 12v battery, you can extend that time by disabling the SKS system using the button under the steering wheel. Sitting for a year guarantees it will be dead.

The typical 144k mile Gen 2 with the original HV battery that sits for a year will have at least one self drained module. Most likely, it will have 3 or more drained modules from sitting so long. So in a word, shot.

And NO, a Gen 2 Prius will NOT run fine with a coded out HV battery. The HV battery is what cranks over the engine so it can start. The 12v battery only powers the electronics and lights.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  10. Frustrated1234

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thank you. I probably killed the hybrid battery on probably what was a perfectly fine car with a weird error code (the dreaded triangle) that nobody ......including a dealership I brought it to, could figure out. The car drove fine but I took it off the road and now it’s shot. The body is banged up. It’s a 2004 with 144k on it........can I sell the thing or should I just send it to the junk yard for scrap metal?

11. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    A Prius cannot even start if the HV battery is dead or drained too far. Perhaps you confused this with a Honda IMA hybrid, which can run with a dead traction battery?

12. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It would be a shame to just have it crushed, but parting out a car is not as easy as you'd think if you haven't done it before or have clean, dry space to store the parts or car. But you could always sell it to a wrecker/dismantler.

Assuming these parts are in good condition (mechanically and/or cosmetically) a list of parts you could target (and others feel free to add to it):
    • ICE
    • Transaxle
    • ABS accumulator/actuator
    • radiator
    • cooling fans
    • A/C system parts
    • Inverter
    • wiring harnesses
    • unblemished body panels
    • any plastic part in good condition
    • headlight assemblies
    • rear light assemblies
    • all ECUs (there are 11-14 of these, depending on the package #)
    • Interior parts and trim
    • glass
    • parts of the HV (hybrid vehicle) battery should be saleable, even maybe some of the modules
    • HV battery cooling ducts
    • HV battery cooling fan
    • wheels
    • tires
    • spare wheel and tire
    • Fuel tank and related emission control parts
    • exhaust, including the catalytic converters
    There are probably more items, but harvesting, marketing, and finally selling could take a while. Once the car is stripped down to the metal you could sell that for scrap.

I don't know how practical it will be for you, but that is my thoughts off the top of my head. Further comment both for and against is welcome.

Good luck with whichever way this goes.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  13. Frustrated1234

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Update: just scanned the Prius for first time in a couple years and it says P3030 which is disconnected hybrid cable? Is it now possible that the battery is not dead or is the battery being shot still the most likely scenario?

14. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Let me get this straight.
    You have a 16 year old Prius.
    And 1st...

Then...

I wouldn't be frustrated, what else would you expect?
    Prius sitting for over a year...aren't going to do well, and especially so if it's 16 years old.
    Especially if it has shown the Triangle. -Which is the cars way of saying...I have a problem.

What do you want from this car?
    I'd speculate it probably IS the hybrid battery dying.
    But whatever you might find or invest into getting it going again, if it's not going to be driven for periods up to a year, you're frustration will just continue.

16 years old, and with potentially a lot of problems diagnosed and un-diagnosed, I would probably want to end my relationship with the vehicle.
    The vehicle wasn't moving for a year, and now, I think it's time you move on.

15. ttou68

ttou68 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III