1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Engine Swap job near Chicago area.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by AllenZ, Sep 6, 2014.

1. AllenZ

AllenZ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    My friend's Prius is totalled due to accident, but engine and transaxle are intact.
    He has another Prius which needs transaxle, and mine needs an engine. All 3 are either 2004 or 2005.

So the job is to remove the engine/trans from totalled Prius, install engine onto the second Prius, transaxle onto third Prius, then put the left over engine/transaxle back to the first Prius.

Do you know any mechanics in this area who can do it confidently with reasonable rate?
    Or if you can do it yourself in your garage, that will be super.

Thanks!

Allen

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I am wondering why you would expend the labor effort to install a worn-out engine and transaxle into a totaled vehicle? You easily could be charged $1,500 for that.

3. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I presume insurance

4. we9to4

we9to4 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Simply Put !
    Taxi Company's do not retire Taxi's till 400,000 miles OD, $1500 to replace the engine is a good price. If they don't leave out any nuts or bolt's...

If you want to keep the car's , Mid West Prius's have a problem of road salt corrosion on nuts and bolts, they break off, then you have to drill them out and replace. It drove my Mechanic nuts, (no matter how much I paid him), but he worked thru it. Rebuilding a Prius is a hard job. lot's of little parts here and there. I'm in the middle of a 2011 Prius puzzle rebuild now.

With a Salvage Title some Insurance Company's will not give you Comprehensive Coverage on the car again. But Nationally Prius's are rarely stolen, because parts do not interchange between models. So stay out of fender benders.

I have a back up motor and drive unit for my 2001 Prius, 235,000 mile and still going, they were cheap.

My wife just drove it with low, low transaxle coolant till it almost shut down, (probably over heated some) before she stopped, she tried to drive it, till it almost wouldn't go no more. I go it towed, filled it with Toyota Red. We seem to be back on the road again piling up Prius miles. That little Prius has risen from the dead more than once.

5. AllenZ

AllenZ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    It seems like there are some misunderstandings here.
    The insurance company will total the car, so the parts inside could be used free of charge before they tow it away.
    Since my friend's another Prius needs a transaxle now, and my Prius will need an engine soon, it makes sense just take those free parts.

The labor I quoted is about $1500 for all three cars.