1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius engine won't start after engine swap

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jderider2, Sep 9, 2020.

1. jderider2

jderider2 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2008 Prius that had a loud knock coming from the engine so I got a used engine from a junk yard and had a buddy of mine switch it out for me. I was also having problems with my hybrid battery holding a charge but I read somewhere that my battery issues could be related to excessive drag on the engine from having a bad engine so I decided to swap the engine first. It took my buddy forever to complete this project (he's had the car in his garage for like 3 months). He's a pretty good mechanic and he's swapped engines and transmissions before but he's never worked on a Prius. So he's got most of it back together. Got the engine in and all hooked up, charged the 12 volt battery, but now the gasoline engine won't start. The hybrid battery is down to 1 purple bar(but I don't think that's stopped me from starting it before), all the little warning lights are on (low tire pressure, check engine, vsc, etc...), the Red Triangle of Death is not on, there are no DTC's stored in the computer, It will switch into Neutral but not drive or reverse. There is one small ground wire that goes from the engine to a screw on the top cross member of the engine compartment which he doesn't have tightened down yet but he doesn't think that's got anything to do with the engine not starting. Any ideas??? What Am I missing???

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    All the fuses been checked out?

3. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Did he reinsert the HV (hybrid vehicle) battery safety interlock completely by sliding the handle down until it clicked (step 3 below) after flipping up into the vertical position?
    Prius safety Interlock.jpg
    Except if the car cannot move out of IG-ON, if there are lights on the dash, there ARE codes to be had. The problem is not that there are no codes, but the scanner is inadequate and so is unable to read them. If the scanner used was a basic generic (read cheap) one, it probably can only read std engine codes and maybe ABS and/or SRS codes. So the scanner will need to upgraded and when you have something that can interrogate all 11 - 14 of the Prius's ECUs you will likely know better what the problem is.

Good luck with further troubleshooting.

PriusCamper likes this.
  4. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    A classic!!! And so often turns out to be true!!!