1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Envy: Gas Prices Climbing, Think About Security

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by pingnak, Mar 15, 2012.

1. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I usually park next to another Prius, just for companionship. I figure then also at least one side won't be bothered by that driver.

But my car is 6 years old now and has quite a few scratches, some of them I put on myself. I'm not going to get worked up over it.

Back in 2008 there was a guy posting on PriusChat that he was going to drill into the gas tanks of Prius that he saw and take their gas for his SUV. I pointed out to him that the Prius tank holds 11 gallons, and with the bladder (this is pre-2010, remember) it's more like 10 gallons, the average car at any given time is probably about half full, so he'd be going thru all the effort and risking being arrested for 5 gallons of gas, or $20. If he wants to steal gas, he's better off going for a big SUV with a 20+ gallon tank. And if you really want to get down to it, siphoning is quicker and less destructive than drilling holes. But yes, there are people who somehow hate people who are prepared when gas prices rise.

2. billnchristy

billnchristy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd be drilling holes in his chest if I caught him doing that.

3. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You'll never know why it happened. I bought my first car years back, it wasn't expensive, but one day I came out to find the windshield wiper snapped off. I guess somebody just thought hey windshield wiper let's snap that. Just so mindless.

I also bought another new vehicle last year and within two weeks found a very nice scratch along the front where somebody had run a shopping cart into it. It helps that it wasn't deliberate, but like you I was incredulous and pissed. Amazing how just a year later I look at new scratches on the car and just shrug my shoulder and don't think of them again. You'll be there, too, though intentional scratches are never acceptable.

I've learned that basically there's one way to have a car with nice paint last for years: avoid winter weather, avoid driving behind others if possible (I know this is silly), and get used to walking because you're going to be parking at the end of the parking lot.

4. Son of Gloin

Son of Gloin Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    The following is a PARTIAL quote:

The following is a COMPLETE quote:

For me, all of the above sheds an entirely new light on the following expression:

"DRILL, BABY! DRILL!"