1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Envy / Prius Rage

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by SilverPri, Apr 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LibertyDefender2

LibertyDefender2 New Member

Day #3. Who needs meds? I love my Prius. (2008\85k)

iPhone ?

Day#4. Perhaps I am being simplistic. But , Alas! Men are from Mars and women are from Venus.

So allow me to be somewhat Venetian.

When I drive my Prius around, I feel oddly superior. I imagine the engine of every car around me. I actually look for other Prius owners. As if there is some comradeship.

I have been reading this forum for a few days. A good group.

iPhone ?

Day #7

New concern. Sap. Car is always parked outside. The trees surrounding my driveway are quite sappy. The sap gets on my car. SOAP is necessary to remove it. I would love to wash my car daily, especially in the warm summer months ( Cameron Diaz 'Bad Teacher') but the soap and wiping will undoubtably scratch the paint. I ordered a Prius car cover. Not a heavy one because I do not want a heavy one in the hot summer months (mildew).

Does anyone have any suggestions?

iPhone ?

#101 LibertyDefender2, Jun 9, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2014
    AzWxGuy likes this.
  2. NedBinCNY

NedBinCNY New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I do that all the time, then I drop the cruise down a notch & let them pass

Ned

3. Data Daedalus

Data Daedalus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi LibertyDefender2,

Have you tried using specific car wash detergents to wash your Prius? You can usually but these at car accessories stores / retailers. There's a wide range available.
    They will not damage the paintwork of the Prius.

I'd also personally advise you to have the car properly waxed (by a professional) at least once a year, preferably twice.
    Properly applied waxes will form an barrier of defence for the "delicate" paintwork of your Prius. It will also make is shine and sparkle like it just rolled out of the factory :)

Lastly, even if the car gets covered in sap, it will be easier to get off when it's washed.

Hope that helps.

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    For cleaning sap. I've used a kerosene moistened rag with a dab of car wax.

5. LibertyDefender2

Toyota World in Newark DE offered to 'Sap-Proof' ( my words not his ) the exterior and interior of the car for $499. Bad idea?

iPhone ?

6. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'd find somewhere else to park, if at all possible. I'd assume this is a seasonal event, say a month out of the year. Or buy a chain saw, lol:

One time, with half the car repainted just that day, we were going to the movies, found a surprisingly available parking spot, just across the street from the theater. Came back after the show, the car was just wiped out with sap drippings from the tree above. This stuff was super tenacious: it took me about 8 hours to get it all off, using the above method.

Data Daedalus likes this.
  7. Data Daedalus

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If you're saying what I think you're saying, then that sounds like a rip-off.

Two weeks ago, I had the exterior of my car double waxed (using some really fancy waxes), and the interior professionally cleaned (Valeted?). The talented dude who did it drove out to my place with his van (and equipment) and did a sterling job.

The cost? £40. Only. I was so impressed, I gave him a £10 tip on top of his fee. His work does last.....y'see, he waxed the same car a year ago, and it gleamed for 12 months.

That shouldn't cost $499. :(

Yup! As Mendel Leisk said, park your pride and joy somewhere else - that way, you don't get your finances or valuable time "sapped" trying to clean the poor Prius :p

#107 Data Daedalus, Jun 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2014
  8. LibertyDefender2

I got my car cover today. -don't gasp, I am going to a drive-thru car wash and if it remains dry, I will slip the cover on .. so I will do an occasional wax, no?

Problem solved.

iPhone ?

Prius Report:

Car wash
    Car cover on.

Now I have a new dilemma. I went to an auto shop, where they sell soft mittens and cloths to clean one's vehicle. Also, sprays creams, paste, etc.

My OCD kicked in.

Okay, so here's my question. Quite simply, do I have to get my car professionally waxed, or can I purchase a spray and do it myself?

iPhone ?

BTW
    I will not be using a regular car wash again. I only washed it because I wanted it clean before I put a new cover on it.

iPhone ?

#108 LibertyDefender2, Jun 21, 2014
  9. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'd wax it myself, depends on your priorities though. My 2 cents, get a decent wax (aka polish) through Walmart or similar, and don't get sucked into the multi-step, high-end stuff.

One tip, polishing clothes can be washed out and reused if you give them a good rinse off in hot soapy water with a good shot of ammonia.

10. LibertyDefender2

Spray wax okay? Any particular brand you recommend ? I read the ingredients, so what should I be looking for ?

iPhone ?

11. ibmoses

ibmoses Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You can find some tutorials at AutoGeek about how to wax a vehicle and what to use.

In the last few years Turtle Wax Ice products have become very good in my opinion. Especially the Turtle Wax Ice Spray.

First you need ro apply a good rub on wax and then after that you can use the spray wax whenever you wash the car.

After the car has been washed, pull it inside and use a leaf blower to blow some of the water off. The liberally spray the entire vehicle with spray wax. Then use a couple of large microfiber drying towels to dry the vehicle.
    Try it you will be impressed.

12. LibertyDefender2

What hope do I have? I do not have a garage. I will try your wax trick. I am looking for a "Do not despair." Alas! One man's Prius is another man's Cadillac.

iPhone ?

Relax, it's from a fortune cookie.

iPhone ?

One more question concerning car cosmetic care: you suggested Turtle Wax .. what soap should I use and how frequently should I wash the car?

iPhone ?

#112 LibertyDefender2, Jun 21, 2014
  13. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    For washing I'm using Meguiar's NXT generation Car Wash. I really don't think there's anything special about it though. I wash the car infrequently, maybe every 6 to 8 weeks.

For waxing (spring and fall) I'm using Meguiar's NXT generation Tech Wax 2.0 (hey, the Devil you know). It's a liquid. A little pricey ($20-30), cheapest at Walmart. And considering a bottle lasts 2-3 years waxing 2 cars, not a big dent in the budget. What I can say about it:

1. Car seems to bead fine, for time between recoats.
    2. Goes on and comes off easy.
    3. Smells nice.
    4. Comes with an applicator pad.

#113 Mendel Leisk, Jun 22, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2014
  14. LibertyDefender2

Question:
    What happens if I loosely cover my car antenna with my car cover?

Should I immediately cut a hole in the cover?

Seriously what is the harm if great care is taken, and the antenna is treated gently?

iPhone ?

Never mind. I cut a hole in my car cover and used the antenna grommet provided. Honestly, inserting the antenna in that minuscule hole will cause more of a disturbance to the antenna than simply loosely covering it. Whatever.

iPhone ?

Okay, moving right along, next question. I have purchased a light weight car cover because it is summertime. In the late fall and winter I will purchase a heavier waterproof cover. My question is this: do I remove the car cover when it rains, dry the car with a soft towel and then put the dry car cover back on? Or do I simply leave the car cover on.

Yuck. I think I may have answered my own question.

Input?

iPhone ?

Well excuse me.

-still love my Prius.

iPhone ?

Okay you all obviously have a nice little garage, so no outdoor parking for you. No matter. Next issue. The car dealer who sold me my Prius said car seat covers weren't for leather seats. - more for cloth seats. I am getting a pair of deep grey sheepskin seat covers. 'M I bad?

iPhone ?

... must be ... more ... precise ...

Yes yes, I have package #6 - leather. My interior is a rich deep grey.

iPhone ?

#114 LibertyDefender2, Jun 22, 2014
  15. Data Daedalus

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have outdoor parking too. Complete with swivel eyed loony kids who have evolved to do nothing all afternoon after school but fling stones vehemently at anything and everything, even though they have nothing to fear for. Ergo, I fear for my Prius. Had to call the police yesterday who thoughtfully turned up 60 minutes later......but I digress.

I too have the full leather package in my UK T Spirit Prius. As long as it's treated with the relevant leather waxes once or twice a year, it's very hard wearing.
    You want sheepskin seat covers; my only fear is that they might turn out to be slippery on top of the leather seats. Or not. I can't see them so I can't tell, but keep this in mind - might affect your driving during sudden manoeuvres.
    Of course, I could be wrong.

16. LibertyDefender2

Swivel eyed loony kids! Nice. Thought I would continue with my soliloquy and to my surprise - a response.

Sheepskin car seat covers.

So I am thinking, like everything else, I could probably buy made in China sheepskin covers and save money. A pile of money. In theory. So far, I found some lovely silver fox covers , purple long haired sheepskin covers, as well as long haired Black and Tan and grey sheepskin, short of receiving a 5% discount on $240 and ordering 2,000 sets, I have not found the right deal.
    Still looking ..

I wanted to post my shopping list:

1. A package of microfiber
    towels.
    2. Wax spray
    3. Leather spray
    4. Vinyl spray
    5. New car fragrance or
    Leather fragrance tree.
    6. Stretch suede steering
    Wheel cover.
    7. Sheepskin seat covers.

iPhone ?

Funny story about the fuzzy dice .. my mother, who was born and grew up in Greece, collects the stupidest things .. she frequents those resale/thrift shops, and I suppose that's where she obtained the fuzzy dice she has hanging from her shelves. I thought about them for a moment ., nah .

iPhone ?

#116 LibertyDefender2, Jun 24, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.