1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius error code (P1116) after replacing coolant inverter pump

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by prius05_owner, Sep 8, 2018.

1. prius05_owner

prius05_owner New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi all,

I had an error code P1121 at 165k miles and recently replaced the coolant inverter pump but doing so a new code was found. P1161 repeatedly came on/off and after bleeding the air from the nipple point near the engine bay. I cleared the codes but come back on/off different time interval when driving the car. The red triangle comes on/off and sometime stays on for a good minute before going off when the acc is on full blast. I'm worried that the hybrid battery might be going bad :<. Thinking of going to a local shop if I can't figure it out.

2. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    P1121 - malfunctioning 3-way coolant control valve. BUT you changed out the Inverter pump?
    P0A93 - failed inverter pump

You list P1116 in the title - Coolant Temperature Sensor Circuit Stack for Coolant Heat Storage System
    THEN You say P1161 in post #1 - I can't find this code for the Prius; which is it?

Hope you did not OVERHEAT the engine block/cylinder head; only recourse will be engine replacement (new or used).

Check the engine coolant level INSIDE the radiator, not the engine coolant overflow bottle?
    There are TWO cooling loops for the Prius: Engine and Inverter.
    Air most likely got into the engine loop, and is the cause of the overheat. Has coolant been leaking to be a likely cause of air intrusion?

What are you using to read the codes?

P0A80 - replace hybrid battery pack; if you keep the car long enough, it will need to be replaced, so why worry about something that will happen. You should have been setting money aside for this repair or vehicle replacement.

#2 exstudent, Sep 9, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
  3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It sounds like you might have drained the radiator coolant and the car is running without coolant.

To fill the radiator, you have to remove the black plastic cover in the front of the car. After you remove that, you'll see the radiator cap. Where you should fill the coolant for the engine.

I think you should familiarize yourself with the car before attempting repairs as you seem to have confused the 2 coolant loops and where they are filled

exstudent likes this.
  4. prius05_owner

prius05_owner New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I worked on the car myself and did the coolant change and inverter coolant change and yes the coolant is topped off. P1116 was erased after bleeding the trapped.

5. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    1) What are you using to read the codes?

2) The bleed process is time consuming. People who don't use an AirLift type coolant refiller (Airlift™ Kit | Cooling | UView), will have to regularly check the radiator to top off until all the air has been removed.

3) Did you bother to compare how much coolant was expelled vs how much was replaced? If 3 gallons came out and you were only able to add 2.5 gallons ... guess what, you are 0.5 gallons short b/c of trapped air.

4) Engine oil level?

6. liron821

liron821 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Prius05_owner, Was this issue ever resolved?
    I have the same exact issue. I purchased a dorman coolant control valve, I had replaced it and bleed out the air from inverter pump and the radiator.
    Now it is showing the codes P1121 and P1116. I don't know if it was a faulty coolant control valve or some other issue.
    I may need to get a OEM part and swap it out. Any suggestions?

Mahal likes this.
  7. Mahal

Mahal Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Same problem here. But im afraid the new control valve won't change anything like the fist time I change it
    Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.